Oily skin

Stircrazy

Forum GOD!
Suppose you should steer clear of the odder tallows, which to me seem even richer than beef (eg mutton, bison, duck).

Martin de Candre immediately comes to mind, or other veggie soaps, but I can’t really back that suggestion up (apart from some people finding MdC drying — which it may be if overloaded). Somehow I’d also suggest other triple milled, hard soaps.

I’m sure someone with a more scientific basis will come along and talk about this and that ingredient which counteracts oily skin in being non-comedogenic etc. Indeed, some with oily skin find face oils the best moisturisers, as these may act like natural sebum and trick the skin into not producing more.
I know MdC is fairly expensive, I assume this is a much harder soap with much better ingredients say compared to Stirling.In other words like Mitchell’s wool fat?
 
D

Deleted member 1881

Guest
I know MdC is fairly expensive, I assume this is a much harder soap with much better ingredients say compared to Stirling.In other words like Mitchell’s wool fat?
I strongly believe that MdC ingredients are not better than Stirling's. Is a better performer than Stirling? Probably. But based on the ingredients, no. Sorry to MdC lovers.
I won't say anything else against MdC!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Stircrazy

Forum GOD!
You could try using an alum block or witch hazel post shave. It seemed to help me.

Bob
Thanks Bob, currently do use lemon Witch Hazel astringent.I think the issue from what people are saying is to use something different from bar soap in the morning and evening.I am old school bar soap man!!
 

halvor

a most elusive fish
Thanks Bob, currently do use lemon Witch Hazel astringent.I think the issue from what people are saying is to use something different from bar soap in the morning and evening.I am old school bar soap man!!
That may be a valid point, yes, as if we are talking regular body soap, it may be drying on the more sensitive facial skin and thus set in motion countermeasures — higher production of sebum. Again, layman assumptions here.
 

p.b

Forum GOD!
I know MdC is fairly expensive, I assume this is a much harder soap with much better ingredients say compared to Stirling.In other words like Mitchell’s wool fat?
Get a MdC sample from ShaveDash before investing in an expensive and long lasting jar. In fact get two or three of different scents to see if it suits you.
 

Stircrazy

Forum GOD!
Get a MdC sample from ShaveDash before investing in an expensive and long lasting jar. In fact get two or three of different scents to see if it suits you.
I am placing an order for a couple of the MdC soaps, thanks for the advice.
 
  • Like
Reactions: p.b

Stircrazy

Forum GOD!
Suppose you should steer clear of the odder tallows, which to me seem even richer than beef (eg mutton, bison, duck).

Martin de Candre immediately comes to mind, or other veggie soaps, but I can’t really back that suggestion up (apart from some people finding MdC drying — which it may be if overloaded). Somehow I’d also suggest other triple milled, hard soaps.

I’m sure someone with a more scientific basis will come along and talk about this and that ingredient which counteracts oily skin in being non-comedogenic etc. Indeed, some with oily skin find face oils the best moisturisers, as these may act like natural sebum and trick the skin into not producing more.
I am going to order a couple of samples of MdC from Shavedash. Is it true that you only need to load for about 10 seconds? I would be using a synthetic brush. Regards Paul.
 

Stircrazy

Forum GOD!
I have a similar issue, agree with everything Halvor said. I would also suggest:
MdC
TOBS or D.R.Harris hard soap

Clinique face scrub and St. Ives apricot (new skin) are my go to products for keeping oily skin at bay.
Ordered some St Ives fresh skin to try, thanks. Paul.
 

halvor

a most elusive fish
I am going to order a couple of samples of MdC from Shavedash. Is it true that you only need to load for about 10 seconds? I would be using a synthetic brush. Regards Paul.
Yes, but that’s from a full jar surface, mind. Some have found MdC drying, but this improved for them with less load to the brush. It also gets you quicker to the right consistency, you don’t need as much water. Too dense a lather isn’t good either. Suppose you should experiment with it.

Have you tried samples earlier? Best bet is not to try and be economical with it. Press the full sample into some form of bowl, box, tin etc. And load from there. You still might find, once you get a full tub of something you’ve only tried a sample of earlier, that performance improves. At least that’s my experience. Thus, samples are better for checking scent than they are at gauging the full performance of a soap.
 
Last edited:

Stircrazy

Forum GOD!
Yes, but that’s from a full jar surface, mind. Some have found MdC drying, but this improved for them with less load to the brush. It also gets you quicker to the right consistency, you don’t need as much water. Too dense a lather isn’t good either. Suppose you should experiment with it.

Have you tried samples earlier? Best bet is not to try and be economical with it. Press the full sample into some form of bowl, box, tin etc. And load from there. You still might find, once you get a full tub of something you’ve only tried a sample of earlier, that performance improves. At least that’s my experience. Thus, samples are better for checking scent than they are at gauging the full performance of a soap.
Good advice, thanks
 

Beemers

Forum GOD!
Oily skin is tough to deal with, and I have had it for as long as I can remember. Recently I have been rubbing the left over witch hazel over my entire face neck till it used up, then the same with Nivea balm, then after shave. Now about 6 pm. I wipe my face with warm water the oil is then gone.
 
Top