Officina Artigiana Milano

Wintermute

Forum GOD!

Didn't really know anything about this cream before I used it but I have to say it's amazing stuff. Firstly despite them saying it's a soap I would definitely call it a cream as it's extremely soft.

I used a pea sized amount loaded straight into my brush and it created a monstrous amount of rich lather. The scent isn't particualry strong but it is pleasant and not synthetic/fake smelling which is something I'm noticing in a lot of these modern "artisan" soaps.

Now on to the best bit, the slickness and nourishing face feel. I don't think any other soap/cream I've used matches how slick and smooth this cream left my face feeling between passes and after I finished my shave and I've used soaps from lots of the popular artisans (MdC, B&M, A&E, Noble Otter, Wholly Kaw etc).

Also comes in a really nice glass jar. So, has anyone else used it and been blown away as much as I have?

Next time I use it I'll try and take a picture of the lather.

ajc347

Forum GOD!
I’ve used it a couple of times and really like it. It surprised me at how good it is and is something of a bargain when you consider the price of a lot of US artisan soaps. 🙂

halvor

a most elusive fish
Pleased with the performance here, too, and the lather felt good on the skin.

Got a strange warming sensation from the splash that lasted for a while. Not uncomfortable, just strange. Not sure if it was the alcohol, fragrance or some other ingredient.

Officina Artigiana Is a very good soap. I have sensitive skin that suffers from seborrheic dermatitis and I found the performance of this product to be really top notch. The scent is very pleasant (I don't have a particularly refined nose), mostly winter. The mechanics of the soap is of the highest level, nothing to envy to more noble products, with excellent smoothness and excellent protection.
The skin after shaving is relaxed and hydrated, without the need of aftershave. Another important aspect is the yield: with just one gram per shave, you can obtain foam for 4 passes.

Dr Watson

James
Anybody else find this stuff to be totally overrated? It seems to be universally praised online but I thought it was awful, worse than Proraso to make the obvious Italian comparison.

I loaded for 60 seconds so there's no risk of not enough product being used. It's a foamy high structure lather with next to no residual slickness, the fragrance is alright but nothing amazing, post shave slightly on the dry side. To me it seems like yet another mediocre TFS recipe.

Wintermute

Forum GOD!
I found I got really slick lathers with it and enjoyed using it, but I did end up having to sell it because I found it irritated my skin post shave. It wasn't a serious reaction but it left enough of a tingle/slight burning sensation that I decided to give up using it sadly.

Anybody else find this stuff to be totally overrated? It seems to be universally praised online but I thought it was awful, worse than Proraso to make the obvious Italian comparison.

I loaded for 60 seconds so there's no risk of not enough product being used. It's a foamy high structure lather with next to no residual slickness, the fragrance is alright but nothing amazing, post shave slightly on the dry side. To me it seems like yet another mediocre TFS recipe.
Exactly my findings, I like the jar so I stuck a Christmas gift of some Boellis Panama in there instead. I thought it smelt similar though not the same as Floid Black.

Dr Watson

James
Exactly my findings, I like the jar so I stuck a Christmas gift of some Boellis Panama in there instead. I thought it smelt similar though not the same as Floid Black.
Glad I'm not the only one! Yeah much prefer Boellis.

I found I got really slick lathers with it and enjoyed using it, but I did end up having to sell it because I found it irritated my skin post shave. It wasn't a serious reaction but it left enough of a tingle/slight burning sensation that I decided to give up using it sadly.
The fragrance oil I assume, did the same thing to me... A little tingle during the shave and probably contributed to the post shave dryness too.

1964geo

Forum GOD!
Glad I'm not the only one! Yeah much prefer Boellis.

The fragrance oil I assume, did the same thing to me... A little tingle during the shave and probably contributed to the post shave dryness too.
Dilemma now was going to buy the officina artigiana stay set or an extro cosmesi set. Now boellis rears its head.

Dr Watson

James
Dilemma now was going to buy the officina artigiana stay set or an extro cosmesi set. Now boellis rears its head.
I would take Boellis over the other two but keep in mind it's tallow based whereas Extro and Officina are both veggie. They are polar opposites to my eyes, with Extro & Officina being average performers that excel in their different scents and interesting packaging. Boellis on the other hand is pure old school Italian elegance, a light refined scent, superlative performance and it comes in a (pretty) cardboard box :giggle:

1964geo

Forum GOD!
I would take Boellis over the other two but keep in mind it's tallow based whereas Extro and Officina are both veggie. They are polar opposites to my eyes, with Extro & Officina being average performers that excel in their different scents and interesting packaging. Boellis on the other hand is pure old school Italian elegance, a light refined scent, superlative performance and it comes in a (pretty) cardboard box :giggle:
I'll need to check boellis further. I Have a lanolin allergy.