Oat Milk or other milk substitutes ?

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Thinking about trying some oat milk ! Why ? Well I think I may have a dairy intolerance. Noticed it for a while now after eating things like ice cream and them cheesecakes I have been making. I get a congestion in the throat which is hard to clear. Anyone use a milk substitute ? I can’t try Almond and Coconut, both play me up and I do have a definite intolerance which plays my digestion up pretty bad. Oat seems to be the one I could have a go at though. Anyone any experience, what does it taste like etc ?

ewkist

Forum GOD!
Oat milk does not have any funny aftertaste. It has a creamier texture than almond milk, and much more nutrients and fiber. A little on the bland tasting side. The creamier texture goes well in milk and tea, and the mild flavor does not get in the way. I would use oat milk if soy milk was not available. I personally prefer soy milk for its flavor and protein; costs much less than oat milk too.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Oat milk does not have any funny aftertaste. It has a creamier texture than almond milk, and much more nutrients and fiber. A little on the bland tasting side. The creamier texture goes well in milk and tea, and the mild flavor does not get in the way. I would use oat milk if soy milk was not available. I personally prefer soy milk for its flavor and protein; costs much less than oat milk too.
Sounds good, think it’s worth a go. Almond and Coconut are a big no. I was tested a while ago to see if I was allergic but it came back negative so they are assuming it’s an intolerance. Last time I accidentally ingested some coconut my wife was so concerned she was considering A&E. it takes about two hours and then I have sweats, shivers, affects my breathing, I’m doubled up with stomach cramps and on the loo ! We have to check everything I eat so I have every sympathy for allergy sufferer.

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
Our toddler has a dairy and soya allergy, so he’s on dairy alternatives. My wife switched while she was nursing as she found that her skin was much improved. Their preference is definitely oat milk. I can't be doing with it though. Blue top all the way, for me; and I’m unconvinced about living a life without good butter and cheese.

Have you thought about cutting back rather than out? Removing milk-drenched cereal for breakfast, Starbucks lattes, Ben & Jerry’s etc? Even the child gets a few malted milks here and there to slowly inch his way up the milk ladder!

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
There was a TV show on while back testing different milk alternatives and what they were best for. I'll try and remember which show...

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Our toddler has a dairy and soya allergy, so he’s on dairy alternatives. My wife switched while she was nursing as she found that her skin was much improved. Their preference is definitely oat milk. I can't be doing with it though. Blue top all the way, for me; and I’m unconvinced about living a life without good butter and cheese.

Have you thought about cutting back rather than out? Removing milk-drenched cereal for breakfast, Starbucks lattes, Ben & Jerry’s etc? Even the child gets a few malted milks here and there to slowly inch his way up the milk ladder!
Very rare I eat Ice Cream, these days nearly every ice cream contains Coconut Milk, Ben and Jerry’s use it a lot. Never drench cereal, only enough to dampen it. Do like the odd Latte but not something I would do on a daily basis.

The ice creams I can eat give This type of reaction. I have been making a load of cheesecakes recently with cream and full fat soft cheese. Don’t have a big portion though. Know what you mean about butter and cheese, but again not something I spread thick or eat daily. Does seem to be the variable that sets off this congestion though.

slapo

It's... alive!
I find most commercial oat and nut 'milks' to be rather poorly prepared. They often taste like they had used stuffy, poorly stored ingredients or that they haven't bothered pre-soaking them before processing them. Makes them tastes weird.

I found Rude Health's Tiger Nut Drink and Coconut Drink to be quite nice. No off-tastes and they go well with almost anything. A bit on the sweet side, but not overly so.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
I find most commercial oat and nut 'milks' to be rather poorly prepared. They often taste like they had used stuffy, poorly stored ingredients or that they haven't bothered pre-soaking them before processing them. Makes them tastes weird.

I found Rude Health's Tiger Nut Drink and Coconut Drink to be quite nice. No off-tastes and they go well with almost anything. A bit on the sweet side, but not overly so.
Interesting about Tiger Nuts, just googled and they are non allergen, wouldn’t like to risk trying them as my reaction isn’t nice to nuts and coconut.

sev-8

Forum GOD!
I buy oat milk now and again for a change and while it tastes a bit different to cow's milk, it's pretty nice. I've only tried the few that my supermarket sells, I think Alpro which is the biggest brand was my least favourite. I usually get the long life ones to store in the cupboard and preferred Oatly and Provitamil.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
I buy oat milk now and again for a change and while it tastes a bit different to cow's milk, it's pretty nice. I've only tried the few that my supermarket sells, I think Alpro which is the biggest brand was my least favourite. I usually get the long life ones to store in the cupboard and preferred Oatly and Provitamil.
This was the Alpro one I got. i Suppose the long life is better than the cows milk long life, that stuff I really dislike.

sev-8

Forum GOD!
This was the Alpro one I got. i Suppose the long life is better than the cows milk long life, that stuff I really dislike.
The others were creamier, I think. Looking at the ingredients list I don't think there's any difference between the chilled and long life, but I don't really remember anymore, it was a while ago that I looked