noob questions about shaving sticks

• Thread starter Deleted member 2936
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2936

I squash my Arko stick in a container, so it is easier to load my brush..... I still have a Speick stick lying around, but I intend to grate it into another tin (this soap is much harder than Arko, so can't squash it).

I don't like using a stick directly on my face, I find it too rough / tugging, or everything besides my face is wet when I use more water ;-) I rather load my brush from a container and then face lather. Sticks are indeed great for travel, but a small amount of soap in a smaller tin will do just as well, if you can load your brush in it.
just a thought that came to mind when i saw your post but isnt that rough sort of feeling good in a way for exfoliating the ksin and getting rid of dead skin cells?

D

Deleted member 2936

Not a lot of stick experience, did have a TOBS one once which was very good. For travel though it’s cream (tube) and a folding bowl for me from now.
yea ive got some palmolive cream (tube) its good stuff but i find i tend to use quite a bit of the stuff maybe im going wrong somewhere? i dont know tbh

D

Deleted member 2936

Palmolive sticks were fifty pence in Tesco last time I looked.
Arko can be had on Amazon or at any of the Turkish barbers, at least round here.
Not sure the blue Wilkinson sword sticks are well received, but they're a quid or two at Boots, Superdrug and the like.
I think Boots do an own brand shave stick and I've found their soaps are ok.
thats a lot cheaper then on amazon for the palmolive sticks, will try to get some from the supermarkets then

yea never actually thought of boots, will see what they have online

thanks for the heads up :)

D

Deleted member 2936

One advantage of using sticks is the ability to control the density of the lather, as you add a bit of water at a time when face lathering.

Arko are excellent sticks for very little money. Palmolive is decent and also a great value. Speick has its fans but I don’t count myself as one of them, nice scent though. Tabac sticks are a little dearer than most (£4-6) but they are double sized, 100g. I swear by the Tabac sticks, wonderful performance and the scent does not put me off.
ive never tried tabac so im interested in that one and yea speick too

D

Deleted member 2936

I used a bar of Eco Warrior directly onto my face this morning like a stick and had a superb shave
i think i saw the youtuber kevy shaves using that stuff, looks alright tbf

bartje-p

Forum GOD!
just a thought that came to mind when i saw your post but isnt that rough sort of feeling good in a way for exfoliating the ksin and getting rid of dead skin cells?
Well, that's what I do in the evening with a wash cloth. But when I shave, I'd like everything smooth, soft and luke warm. And using a stick is in my case not part of that feeling! And furthermore, I'd rather feel a brush on my face than a soap stick :-D

D

Deleted member 2936

Well, that's what I do in the evening with a wash cloth. But when I shave, I'd like everything smooth, soft and luke warm. And using a stick is in my case not part of that feeling! And furthermore, I'd rather feel a brush on my face than a soap stick :-D
yea i hear ya mate lol :)

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
you mention travel but how do you guys dry these shaving sticks off?

not heard of speick before ill google it and check it out thanks
I prefer to shower in the evening so naturally shave then too. The stick's dry by morning but if I needed it dry quickly toilet roll would do it. TBH the stick tends not to get that wet anyway.

D

Deleted member 2936

I prefer to shower in the evening so naturally shave then too. The stick's dry by morning but if I needed it dry quickly toilet roll would do it. TBH the stick tends not to get that wet anyway.
yea i think where i went wrong today was i used too much water on the arko stick probably

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
I use a shaving stick mainly when I travel because it’s compact, not messy and I can have it in my carry-on bag when I fly without having to put it in the clear plastic baggy with my other creams, gels, lotions and liquids. Also, as I only lather on my face (I regard lathering in a bowl to e redundant), rubbing the stick on my face comes naturally; in fact, when I use a cake of soap I take it out of its container and rub it on my face for lathering too.

Zhang Doe

Forum GOD!
you mention travel but how do you guys dry these shaving sticks off?
Let it air dry and put the cap back on. I have an Ogallala shave stick, which has a screw-on cap. If I wasn’t comfortable leaving it out, no problems capping it and taking it out later to dry. Could be wrong, but I don’t think they spoil if you store them damp for the day.