pearse85

Über Member
hi folks,
Recently took the plunge after suffering years of abuse at the hands of gilette, mach 3, fusion, etc.

Razor burn, sensitivity, i hated shaving.

Took the plunge after speaking to a gentleman in work, went for my starter kit of;

Edwin jagger de89
Proraso shaving soaps green/white
Proraso brush
Feather, personna blades (prefer the feather)

Wow, what a difference!!

Little did i know though that it would create an addiction and endless ogling of razors, creams, soaps etc lol

Just bought the fitjar fjeillheim soap to try, also looking a silvertip badger brush if anyone cares to recommend.

What shaving soaps would be similar to the fitjar? I like fresh scents.

Pearse

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Welcome to ATG. Great start with the Fitjar. As well as choice on Fjellheim. Sounds like you have a great setup already.

Silvertip brushes are challenging to navigate, lots to research needed and an understanding of your preferences. Such as backbone, tip feel and density. Price soon becomes secondary :)

pearse85

Über Member
Welcome to ATG. Great start with the Fitjar. As well as choice on Fjellheim. Sounds like you have a great setup already.

Silvertip brushes are challenging to navigate, lots to research needed and an understanding of your preferences. Such as backbone, tip feel and density. Price soon becomes secondary :)
Thanks for the reply.

Would you recommend a more user friendly brush?

Heading straight down the rabbit hole it seems haha

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Thanks for the reply.

Would you recommend a more user friendly brush?

Heading straight down the rabbit hole it seems haha
In all honesty I am the rabbit and I rent out my own hole :) I started with a Proraso boar and Omega silvertip 3 band. They were polar opposites in feel. From this I went to the Vulfix 404 mixed badger and boar. Finally I have settled on high end 2 band silvertips that provide plenty of backbone/resistance and soft individual bristle feel.

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Welcome to ATG.

Like Nishy says, best have a dabble in the cheaper brushes. Try a soft silvertip, try a 2band badger (Cheap enough on Maggards, or MS) and also try Boar and Synthetics. Try and buy 2nd hand in order to reduce the costs. I bought lots of silvertips early on but just find them floppy.

Ask for opinions in the brush section and try and work your way through!

Enjoy your adventure!

Welcome!!! :welcome::wave:

Be careful, the rabbit hole is large and full of temptations. I think Oscar Wilde said it best: " We live in age where unnecessary things are our only necessities".
Good luck!

Gasman

Über Member
Welcome. Brushes are a personnal thing. We all like what we like. My favorite is a cheep knot i put in a handle. But if you want to go crazy a Shavemac is a great way to go. Its going to cost ya.

JayGee

Forum GOD!
Welcome to ATG

You have a great setup already, a new brush won't be any better as such, it can be very different. TBH a modern synthetic is hard to beat. Brushes are very subjective and small batch artisan is very nice, but, to get the best from that you need to know a bit more about what you like. A bit like wandering into a shoe shop, "I'd like the best, please" coming out with a pair of hand stitched patent leather dress shoes that cost a month's salary, fabulous, whether they are the best depends on many other factors.