stearic acid, water, organic glycerin, potassium hydroxide,
tallow (pasture-raised), essential oils, organic argan oil,
organic pomegranate seed oil, organic macadamia nut oil,
organic coconut oil, organic avocado oil, organic castor
oil, bentonite clay, organic tamanu oil, vitamin e, silk

p.b

Forum GOD!
New INCI base:

Stearic Acid, Water, Organic Argan Oil, Organic Glycerin, Essential Oils, Organic Castor Oil, Organic Safflower Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Tallow (Pasture-Raised), Organic Coconut Oil, Bentonite Clay, Sodium Hydroxide, Vitamin E, Silk

NOT so promising...
Look at the previous INCI to get differences:

stearic acid, water, organic glycerin, potassium hydroxide,
tallow (pasture-raised), essential oils, organic argan oil,
organic pomegranate seed oil, organic macadamia nut oil,
organic coconut oil, organic avocado oil, organic castor
oil, bentonite clay, organic tamanu oil, vitamin e, silk
Is it possible to predict shaving soap performance from the ingredients list? Is certainly looks very different but better / worse?

Is it possible to predict shaving soap performance from the ingredients list? Is certainly looks very different but better / worse?
Not exactly, also because they don't write saponification in their INCI (i.e., for example, Potassium Hydroxide + Stearic Acid = Potassium Stearate). But we can surely look where the essential oils are placed in the list (and they can't be a big percentual - many risks for skins, allergies, etc. risks would be too high). For my experience it means that the soap is based more on Stearic Acid, Water, Organic Argan Oil, Organic Glycerin. Its meaning: less cushion, almost same hydration, more slickness, than the previous base INCI (on paper). And, for what I see, tallow should not be more than 2/3%. Just hypothesis, mate.
EDIT: I'm not sure how to say this in English, sorry, but it could be less immediate to get a substantial foam (if based too much on oils). Forgive me, mate - I really don't know how to say better the concept.

Last edited:
Reactions: p.b
From Ryan, Tallow + Steel:

'I hear you - but we wanted something to appeal to all those boring people out there who find our scents too unique/polarizing. I kid of course - no entrepreneur likes to see customers dissatisfied with a product. It's the reason we released our formula composition. I feel like the more information a customer has, the more informed their decision can be - but unfortunately this sentiment isn't always being shared by other artisans these days. Now sure, some people don't like our style, but I'm thankful that wetshaving has such an active second hand market, so usually a customer won't be out too much money if they don't enjoy the product. (My counter argument to why we don't offer samples?)

Regarding the scents of Sicily and Madagascar - you may still be surprised. Sicily is one that should be enjoyed by pretty much everyone, but there is always the T+S style present. Madagascar is fairly floral but unique in that the majority of the scent is ylang ylang which is not used much in wetshaving, and is not the feature in any other products I can think of. Very underused IMO. The vanilla we use is the real deal bourbon vanilla from Madagascar - probably the best vanilla in the world. If anyone has ever smelled vanilla from Madagascar, (I can't stop smelling it) the scent of it is completely wild. It's such a warm, rich, earthy vanilla - it actually smells anamalic to me.. in the same way the beaver castors I have here smell. (No spoilers.. but they are aging nicely)

So long story short - we wanted to round out our line with something a little more approachable, but still our style. Personally, I get bored with easy, approachable scents.. you aren't wearing it all day, the scent is mostly just there for your shave, so I want something that is going to make me say, "now that was fecking cool." However, I understand why many people prefer easier, more pleasant scents. We are unique in that many artisans rely on their company to pay the bills, so they may not be financially able to take risks like we do. If people don't like their product, it could impact their wellbeing - and nobody wants that. The fact that we are able to release such unique products (West Coast IPA anyone?) where we want to give the customer a wild olfactory experience, knowing that the product may not sell well, is an asset for us. The fact that we can focus on experience rather than revenue is what keeps me going.'

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
I’m still working on my tub of Rainforest! In fact, the stamped T+S insignia still shows despite a fair amount of use.

I’d love to be in for Madagascar (and possibly Kyoto) but I also have designs on Himalaya and Morocco. Trouble is, I go upstairs and have a look at my stock of soap that’s ever-so-slowly depleting and wonder ‘What’s the point?’ when I won’t be finishing the ten soaps in my current rotation in this decade.

Anyway, I like the style of Tallow + Steel and their attempt to carve out a niche. They’re definitely something a bit different to the humdrum of ‘me too’ offerings - tallow arms race aside. The openness of declaring scent composition is similarly an interesting path to take.

Oasisdave

Forum GOD!
I really want to get Kyoto but it ends up being almost $37 shipped to the USA. I've already got over 100 soaps and there are so many artisans selling extremely good products for $15-20 if I want more.

That being said I keep finding myself back on the T+S website ready to click the order button :unsure:

I really want to get Kyoto but it ends up being almost $37 shipped to the USA. I've already got over 100 soaps and there are so many artisans selling extremely good products for $15-20 if I want more.

That being said I keep finding myself back on the T+S website ready to click the order button :unsure:
Yes, that could be a bit expensive, especially for who lives in USA, where the shipping cost is really economic, but not too much.
$13.82CAD for a set to Europe.

owlman

Forum GOD!
Whoa, that was some quick shipping: ordered on the 15th and shipped on the 17th, my Kyoto tub arrived today! I've waited longer for stuff merely crossing the English Channel, let alone an ocean...

The label is as beautiful up close as it looks on the site (the label material is a bit weird though, reminds me of medical adhesive tape). Scent strength directly from the tub is on the weak side for my taste; I can make out some sharp sweetness I can't quite place, maybe a tart lemonade? Will give it a go tomorrow!