New Saponificio Varesino soap release.....

Optometrist

Forum GOD!
Just received the Alder bowl to replace the Mitchell's Wool Fat ceramic jobby which my wife broke. It has a disc of foam in the base. Possibly stupid question but does that go in the bin, or do you leave it in under the soap? I'm thinking surely it's just going to get manky after years of use.
I leave the foam inside, too, however, I never use the wooden bowl for lathering. I always allow the soap to dry before replacing.

Optometrist

Forum GOD!
As hoped it's just arrived.
View attachment 22301

First impressions. The scent strength is on par with the rest if the SV line (apart from the 70th Anniversary, which I found quite weak).

I like the scent but I'm not blown away...yet. It's like an old school cologne with a hint of spice in the background.
If you like their 70th Anniversary edition I think you'll be a fan of this too.

The packaging. I'm glad they chose to supply it in the cardboard box but I don't see the point in the outer box. It's pointless and adds to the cost of the soap. I'm no Eco warrior but aren't we supposed to be reducing packaging for the good of the environment?

I'll report back once I've used it.
I received mine, also, Rob, and agree that whilst the packaging is top notch, it's unnecessary.
I actually love the scents from the dry puck. Looking forward to using tomorrow.

Riggs

Forum GOD!
All SV soaps have excellent perfomance and protection to me. I have used 70th anniversary and cosmo and I am really happy with them. The more I read this thread though thats about to change LOL.

ChrisVanMeer

theshavingdutchman
As promised!

Yesterday, I received the new Opuntia and opened it
together with my wife.

Her first reaction was "wow, you can do that all week
to use !! "And her second reaction" Damn! That is really nice!"

And I must say, she's spot on, this is a great soap.
You have the freshness of the Tundra Artica, the creaminess of
the 70th Anniversary edition and the spices from both the
Dolomiti and the Mirto.

The matching ASB smells just as good. The shape is comparable to
the Cosmo, whereas the soap matches the 70th Anniversary edition
tin. Though the tin is made from even softer material than the
70th Anniversary edition, so it is likely to dent easily. That
is the only downside of it all.

Happy, very happy with these purchases.

Dr Watson

James
I agree Rob, I'll never buy it. They're obviously aiming for the top end... Their soap base is good but the packaging falls short for me, I hate those PET trays and every container they make be it aluminium or wood is a complete disaster in use (nice as they look.)

They've been catching a bit of flak from the natives on Ilrasoio over it, mind you those lads are really thrifty, they seem to resent paying more than €8 for a brush nevermind €36.50 for a soap :D