New Razor by Yates Precision Manufacturing

Shavemd

Forum GOD!
YPM in Pennsylvania USA has recently released a new 316 SS DE Razor here is my experience with it after 3 Shaves in with the YPM 921-M
Initial thoughts on the razor. The finish is very shiny but machine marks are still slightly visible, I like the look.
The edge of the blades are covered by the baseplate but the top cap has indentations so it is easy to remove the blade.
The handle thread is is 10-24 so most handles will not swap out. The handle is 4” and a little thinner than many but it felt good and balanced for the 3 shaves and Jake has plans to make different handles.
The additional hybrid baseplate is made of brass, SS is on the way, it has the same geometry of the 921 baseplate but offers a dual SB/ OC option.
Now on to the shaves.
Pre shave Hot shower
I used a Feather blade ( a 5 pack is included with the razor), Polsilver and GSB. The feather was just as smooth and offered the greatest efficiency ( number of passes to BBS)
Soap I used was PannaCrema Nuavia, Proraso and M&M.
The first shave using the SS baseplate was 24 hours after Wolfman WR1 .94 and I was able to do a 2 pass WTG, XTG with touchup under the jaw line using the feather blade for a BBS shave without irritation or nicks. The shave was very smooth and there was just a touch of blade feel. 12 hours later I was just starting to feel some stubble but looked very clean.
The second shave I used the hybrid baseplate shaving one side of my face with the OC and the other with the SB. I used a Polsilver blade. The brass SB side felt exactly like the SS and the OC side had just a touch more blade feel, and I mean just a small difference. Using the Proraso green preshave and soap I did a 3 pass WTG, XTG and ATG shave. The OC side took down a little more beard WTG but overall results were identical. Again this was a mindless smooth shave.
My 3rd shave was with a GSB blade using my M&M soap about 17 hours following my last shave. I went back to the SS baseplate and had a wonderful 2 pass WTG, XTG with touchup under the jawline and upper lip shave. I followed it up with Thayer and Aqua DI Parma Colonia Club for an irritation free smooth shave.
In a time where so many members are reaching for hyper aggressive razors this would not be a razor for them. However, if you are a daily shaver like me, this is a very well built, smooth shave that delivers BBS without irritation and is very maneuverable at a very reasonable price for 316 SS.
I will be keeping this razor and Feather blades will be standard in it. I look forward to seeing where Jake goes from here
B37B65B4-9670-40DF-9EEF-95F933A4EE9A.jpeg
396CE262-ACB6-4349-B31C-895171258DE6.jpeg
1572EC60-6A1E-4254-88CB-14FFDDB4D5D9.jpeg
68458CE3-1A82-4BD9-AC02-3BA5FCD8F0C9.jpeg
751B9ED2-A251-4ADF-8DF0-1EFE3AF1C665.jpeg

Rasatura Bagnata

•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•
Although it's all in the shave, there are aspects of the razor itself that lose some appeal, at least for me. The logo on the top cap reminds me of another Chinese brand that sells inexpensive razors; I dislike Raw Shaving's top cap logo as well. The thread pitch of the handle and top cap screw is a minus as I prefer a finer thread and it also looks like (I cannot see the top cap of the handle) that it is along the lines of Blackland Razors. Lose these two items and I'm likely in.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I can see no reason why a razor manufacturer would go with a non-standard thread, the inability to swap handles has stopped me buying razors before. I’m also not a fan of logos on the top cap.

Wilga

Forum GOD!
I’m all for the manufacturers name on the top cap and actually like this design and the one on the RAW. I will have to agree with you on the choice of threads though.

slantman

Forum GOD!
Great review. The handle size at 10/24 is strange. At lease 10/32 or ideally M5/0.8. Why Yates went with this size is weird.

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
The thread choice is madness. The notch on the top cap "shows the inner workings" of the razor. It needs some tiding up as it looks unfinished.
The handle I do like, which is just as well!
I hope that this what I would consider a prototype, move on and gets better!

ajc347

Forum GOD!
My YPM razor finally arrived in the UK today and took less time to arrive from WCS than I thought it would. 🙂

886A4C5E-1157-4497-8B70-AE846BC0185A.jpeg

I tried the original M plate this evening with a Rapira Platinum Lux and had a smooth, pleasurable, mellow and issue free shave.

The razor didn’t feel as aggressive as I had feared after reading some reviews on other forums.

I really like the stonewashed finish and I enjoyed using the original handle. I tend to prefer longer handles and this was right up my street. The thinner width helps make it very nicely balanced and light in the hand. I had zero issues with grip.

The razor also lives up to to precision part of the name. It has clearly been very well made and the tolerances are spot on.

All in all, this struck me as being a very well made and thought out razor design. I can’t wait to try out the hybrid brass plate that came with it soon. 😎

slapo

It's... alive!
@ajc347 @vates it looks like you both got the new, far-top top cap. Would you mind taking a shot of the bottom and side profile of the top caps?s I think it uses pins, and now that it uses a 10-32 thread, it should be possible to use it with third party base plates.🤔

ajc347

Forum GOD!
@ajc347 @vates it looks like you both got the new, far-top top cap. Would you mind taking a shot of the bottom and side profile of the top caps?s I think it uses pins, and now that it uses a 10-32 thread, it should be possible to use it with third party base plates.🤔
Mine’s the older style top-cap and I understand from the WCS listing that it’s 10/32 threaded.

I’ve addrd a couple of photos that I took when it arrived and my first shave, below. I’ll take some more and confirm the thread size and whether it fits other baseplates tomorrow. 🙂

452C98D3-FCC6-406A-A6B3-05358062F1AD.jpeg
C710D92D-893E-41AF-9BA2-8EF36BAE2D49.jpeg
F8F006D9-B7D0-4F6A-A7D0-22320B44CCDD.jpeg

slapo

It's... alive!
Mine’s the older style top-cap and I understand from the WCS listing that it’s 10/32 threaded.

I’ve addrd a couple of photos that I took when it arrived and my first shave, below. I’ll take some more and confirm the thread size and whether it fits other baseplates tomorrow. 🙂
Cheers. :)

ajc347

Forum GOD!
@slapo - I’ve tried the Yates head with the following baseplates:

Rocnel Elite 2017 & 2018
Seygus Brass
Barbaros TR-2
EJ DE89
King C Gillette
Razorock MJ-90
Karve

These baseplates don’t fit:

Rocnel
Barbaros
Seygus

These do:

EJ DE89
King C Gillette
Razorock MJ-90
Karve

The pictures below are of the King C Gillette and the Karve.

029A944D-4587-44E6-AFDD-B962AD96D009.jpeg
3DFDD4C8-CA10-40F0-B9DA-8FE962FAF6AC.jpeg
8E3FA981-9D70-4D0F-ADD6-1AD29E795102.jpeg
31886A2C-CFBB-4DE4-863C-836EED96CC92.jpeg

As you can see the YPM top cap is much longer and, as the threaded post is about he same length as a Carbon, the handles I used will fit, but they won’t fit as well as they will with the YPM baseplate.

The YPM baseplate has a recessed area which the other to baseplates do not have, and I think this helps maximize the amount of useable thread.

7E7D21C2-DB92-49FE-A525-F400B82C01FC.jpeg

In terms of the thread size, it appears to be 10/32 threaded.The top cap will accept a CG handle but, strangely, not a Carbon R2 or Karve handle. It does, though, work with the M5 threaded handles I tried without problem.

slapo

It's... alive!
@slapo - I’ve tried the Yates head with the following baseplates:

Rocnel Elite 2017 & 2018
Seygus Brass
Barbaros TR-2
EJ DE89
King C Gillette
Razorock MJ-90
Karve

These baseplates don’t fit:

Rocnel
Barbaros
Seygus

These do:

EJ DE89
King C Gillette
Razorock MJ-90
Karve

The pictures below are of the King C Gillette and the Karve.

View attachment 78114View attachment 78116View attachment 78118View attachment 78119

As you can see the YPM top cap is much longer and, as the threaded post is about he same length as a Carbon, the handles I used will fit, but they won’t fit as well as they will with the YPM baseplate.

The YPM baseplate has a recessed area which the other to baseplates do not have, and I think this helps maximize the amount of useable thread.

View attachment 78121

In terms of the thread size, it appears to be 10/32 threaded.The top cap will accept a CG handle but, strangely, not a Carbon R2 or Karve handle. It does, though, work with the M5 threaded handles I tried without problem.
Thank you kindly, much appreciated.
I might get the top cap once they're available again. Perhaps with the hybrid base plate, too. 🤔
It's kind of funny, though, that what he did with the base plates I've been doing for a few years using silicone bumpers stuck to either the base plate or the top cap. It makes some EJ/Merkur-style heads much smoother shavers.
I'd thought I had photos around here somewhere, but I can't find them atm. :confused:

Last edited: