New Mühle stainless steel razor 'Rocca'

Benz3ne

Forum GOD!
If I might chime in, I found the Gillette Nacet to be an absolutely fantastic blade in my Rocca. It's the right balance of sharp and smooth to compliment that much blade feel. I've recently picked up Polsilver SI after some time away from them and they're doing a fantastic job with a shallower angle.

I've also found Rapira Stainless to be great in them, but they're seemingly more subjective than the other two offerings. Chuck me your address and I'll wing you a pack of each of the two listed above to try out. :)

Grishnak

Forum GOD!
If I might chime in, I found the Gillette Nacet to be an absolutely fantastic blade in my Rocca. It's the right balance of sharp and smooth to compliment that much blade feel. I've recently picked up Polsilver SI after some time away from them and they're doing a fantastic job with a shallower angle.

I've also found Rapira Stainless to be great in them, but they're seemingly more subjective than the other two offerings. Chuck me your address and I'll wing you a pack of each of the two listed above to try out. :)
Sorry @Benz3ne.

Thank you for your kind offer. I am trawling through various samples being a noob.

The info I am after here is
When you have not got on with a Razor, whether that is fell very slightly short of your favourite or is drastically worse, was the best, most comfortable, efficient shave, with the blade that you would expect it to be ie. your favourite or up there with your favourite
Or
Was the best it ever performed with an unexpected / surprise blade.

Thank you again for the kind offer, I have tried the Rapira and the Nacet, but sadly both were amongst my most irritated shaves. So far the Voskhod and Personna are clear “winners”, but I have many more to try.
When the day comes that I decide to buy a Blackbird, I wonder should I look no further than my already treasured favourites.

Randomangle

Über Bum
Sorry @Benz3ne.

Thank you for your kind offer. I am trawling through various samples being a noob.

When you have not got on with a Razor, whether that is fell very slightly short of your favourite or is drastically worse, was the best, most comfortable, efficient shave, with the blade that you would expect it to be ie. your favourite or up there with your favourite
Or

Thank you again for the kind offer, I have tried the Rapira and the Nacet, but sadly both were amongst my most irritated shaves. So far the Voskhod and Personna are clear “winners”, but I have many more to try.
When the day comes that I decide to buy a Blackbird, I wonder should I look no further than my already treasured favourites.
In my limited experience a new razor means having to go through the whole rigmarole again ...

Benz3ne

Forum GOD!
Sorry @Benz3ne.

Or

First and foremost, no need to apologise!

Since finding Nacets I've seen no need to try any other blade, really. However, curiosity and a small blade 'stash' sees me using my other blades. Furthermore, my only DE is a Rocca, so everything is compared on a consistent 'test bed', so to speak.

Surprise blade for me was the Nacet. I'd tried 7 O'Clock Green, Black and Yellow before it and didn't find favour with any of them. I also used to tend towards very sharp blades, such as a Feather Pro and Feather Pro Super SE blade in a RazoRock Hawk and Executive Shaving 'Claymore', which was a beasty razor! :D I also started with straight razors above all else, so I got very familiar with blade feel very quickly and now appreciate a bit of blade feel and 'aggression' in my razors.

The Rapira was also a shock to me as I've heard they can be quite divisive. The Polsilver SI shocked me conversely when I first tried it as I couldn't see what all the hype was about. Fast forward a few months and I pick one out of its packet and it's like a warm knife through butter.

Voskhod blades are a good workhorse. I can see why they fall into a similar category as the Personna for you. One last surprise I found was Supermax blades (in the blue/yellow packet). They were surprisingly smooth from the outset and gave me some good shaves. I'll have to crack out some untried blades soon and I'll be sure to update you with how I got on. :)

The Nacets and Rapira were a good example blade in the sense they teach an absolutely no-pressure approach to shaving, especially in the Rocca. If I feel myself putting any pressure into my shaves (usually stemming from complacency) I know it won't be a good outcome, ease off and away to go!

For what it's worth, the above observations were made with a few razors, not just the Rocca, prior to selling them on. I enjoyed the combination in the Rockwell 6C (wholly recommend) and the Parker Variant (again, wholly recommend). :)

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Sorry to be a pest Rowlers.

Did you find your favourite blade was still your favourite / best you could get out of the Rocca?
Yeah, quite possibly. A favourite blade of mine is the Gillette Silver Blue and that was probably my best shave with the Rocca.

Grishnak

Forum GOD!
Yeah, quite possibly. A favourite blade of mine is the Gillette Silver Blue and that was probably my best shave with the Rocca.
Thank you Rowlers, and that was what I was hoping for.

I imagine this line of enquiry will result in a subjective result like everything else.
Some will find the same blade works in any razor and some will have a different blade in each of their collection.

Thank you

Grishnak

Forum GOD!
First and foremost, no need to apologise!

Since finding Nacets I've seen no need to try any other blade, really. However, curiosity and a small blade 'stash' sees me using my other blades. Furthermore, my only DE is a Rocca, so everything is compared on a consistent 'test bed', so to speak.

Surprise blade for me was the Nacet. I'd tried 7 O'Clock Green, Black and Yellow before it and didn't find favour with any of them. I also used to tend towards very sharp blades, such as a Feather Pro and Feather Pro Super SE blade in a RazoRock Hawk and Executive Shaving 'Claymore', which was a beasty razor! :D I also started with straight razors above all else, so I got very familiar with blade feel very quickly and now appreciate a bit of blade feel and 'aggression' in my razors.

The Rapira was also a shock to me as I've heard they can be quite divisive. The Polsilver SI shocked me conversely when I first tried it as I couldn't see what all the hype was about. Fast forward a few months and I pick one out of its packet and it's like a warm knife through butter.

Voskhod blades are a good workhorse. I can see why they fall into a similar category as the Personna for you. One last surprise I found was Supermax blades (in the blue/yellow packet). They were surprisingly smooth from the outset and gave me some good shaves. I'll have to crack out some untried blades soon and I'll be sure to update you with how I got on. :)

The Nacets and Rapira were a good example blade in the sense they teach an absolutely no-pressure approach to shaving, especially in the Rocca. If I feel myself putting any pressure into my shaves (usually stemming from complacency) I know it won't be a good outcome, ease off and away to go!

For what it's worth, the above observations were made with a few razors, not just the Rocca, prior to selling them on. I enjoyed the combination in the Rockwell 6C (wholly recommend) and the Parker Variant (again, wholly recommend). :)
I’ve owned the Gillette Black Beauty from new (sadly a black plastic baseplate model),but abandoned it at the end of the 1980s.
Upon my return to DE shaving three month ago, I thought I should treat myself to a modern three piece and was advised Mühle Rocca as I have the Gillette set at #6.
The Gillette is so forgiving with a Personna or Voskhod in comparison to the Rocca.
My logic is to perfect my technique using a more fussy, exposed razor and then treat myself to a “thing of beauty”
(or two, but by no means a large collection.......I hope)
I have this worry that I’ll not equal the Gillette and I had my perfect razor from the start - how boring LOL
It would be nice to end up using something a bit more bespoke than a razor I bought for probably £5 in Boots.

I also don’t like the fact that the butterfly opener is so easy, convenient and without much worry of injury, yet three piece blades seem to carry greater status.

Attachments