Review New DS Cosmetics Synthetic Brush & Knots

SeanC

Forum GOD!
A couple of recent purchases which I felt worthy of a review

DRS Cosmetic 26mm Synthetic Brush

Bought from: http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/biBDTmJm (note there is a similar looking brush with different characteristics)

Dimensions:

Knot diameter: 26mm
Loft: 56mm
Glue bump: <5mm
Handle Diameter: 35mm
Handle Height: 58mm

Density:

Taking Simpson and Zenith as maximum (5/5) and Omega as minimum (1/5), I class these as medium density (3/5), very similar to Muhle STF XL

Softness:

Taking Plissoft or Cashmere as maximum (5/5) and Omega as minimum (1/5), I consider that the tips are very soft and very similar to APShaveco Silksmoke and Synbad i.e. (5/5). Marginally softer than Muhle STF XL

Backbone:

Taking Simpson and Zenith as maximum (5/5) and Plissoft as minimum (1/5), I class these as medium firm i.e. (4/5)

Shedding:

None

Handle:

Moulded, but reasonable enough with no obvious physical flaws and fairly crisp lines. Acrylic could however have been poured a little better to give more even distribution of shades

Conclusion

After a series of direct comparisons, I believe that this knot with the exception of colour, seems to have identical characteristics to the APShaveco Silksmoke and a fair similarities in terms of density and backbone with the Muhle STF XL. Performance is very good, it lathers all my active soaps and creams with ease and the face feel is fantastic (I'm a face latherer who both swirls and paints). The only minor negative I have is that is does 'dribble' a little if overloaded with water, but then again so does the Muhle. On balance I think this is an excellent synthetic brush and probably at the price of just less than £12 inclusive of postage I paid for it (AliExpress sale), the best value synthetic currently on the market. I think that apart from those who prefer a short loft, very dense brush, most users would be very happy with the performance of this brush which on the balance of probabilities I believe is identical to the Silksmoke aside from colour.

DRS Cosmetic 24mm Synthetic Knot

Bought from:
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bLYTOtg8

Virtually identical to the above brush, although possibly a little more dense (does not noticeably impact on performance). The loft at 54mm (maximum before being set in a handle) is a little lower as you would expect. I bought one and mounted it in a Razorock 400 using a 5 Euro Cent coin to set the loft at 53mm after stripping out the original Plissoft knot. Once again there is minimal glue bump

24mm knot (left) and 26mm brush (right)

24mm knot (left) and 26mm brush (right)

Top down view with Muhle STF XL (left) and 26mm brush (right)

Side by side view with Muhle STF XL (left) and 26mm brush (right)

Side by side view with APShaveCo Silksmoke (left) and 24mm set Razorock 400 handle (right)

Thanks

Last edited:

SeanC

Forum GOD!
I read on B&B that this DSCometic knot is the equivalent of the Frank Shaving G4
I have a G4 in transit from Frank Shaving

I only have a Pur-Tech on hand at the moment, but with the exception of the tips being not quite as soft, it's very similar in line with the Muhle STF which uses the same fibres

The knots I reviewed are the same as the light blue handle brush reviewed by @Nav here: https://www.atgshaving.com/threads/my-first-ds-cosmetic-brushes-reviewed.12721/

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Nav

JayGee

Forum GOD!
Thanks for the review Sean, ordered a 26mm knot from the link. I've a beauty of a handle turned by Mervyn Cadman in need of a knot & I know not all Synths are good, cheers.

With my 1st timer discount ~£7 shipped, bargain.

Nav

Forum GOD!
I have a G4 in transit from Frank Shaving

I only have a Pur-Tech on hand at the moment, but with the exception of the tips being not quite as soft, it's very similar in line with the Muhle STF which uses the same fibres

The knots I reviewed are the same as the light blue handle brush reviewed by @Nav here: https://www.atgshaving.com/threads/my-first-ds-cosmetic-brushes-reviewed.12721/

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
Nice review!
I'd agree with your assessment and comparison to the other knots.
I really like this DS cosmetic knot, maybe even a little more than the FS-G4!

JayGee

Forum GOD!
The knot arrived yesterday, really quick & well packed, impressed.

Shoved it into the handle using some blu-tack for a test, I concur with the above, an excellent knot.

I have an AP shave co tuxedo & thought that was very good, this is even better. Very soft tips with a very decent backbone (not springy either), a more natural splay characteristic than any synthetic I've used. I like it a lot. My new travel brush when I've set the knot, currently rodded in at 55mm loft for the 26mm diameter & working well.

SeanC

Forum GOD!
I read on B&B that this DSCometic knot is the equivalent of the Frank Shaving G4
Having now received a FS G4 brush and compared the two side-by-side, I can confirm that they are not the same. The DSCosmetic has slightly softer tips

JayGee

Forum GOD!
Here it is

Works very well, 26mm set at 55mm loft. Extremely soft tips, cloud like, similar backbone to my AP tuxedo without the spring, nice splay characteristic. If I had to criticise, the face feel is a bit too cloud like & missing some scrub, I face lather.

SeanC

Forum GOD!
Last edited: