New diesel and petrol vehicles to be banned by 2040

p.b

Forum GOD!
if every household put its car on charge every night the grid would shit itself.
yes, a PHEV battery is significantly smaller than a BEV battery so that'll be an easier load. The Chinese have been pumping so much investment into solar that it will become more cost effective than fossil fuel sometime during the 2020 rather than 2040 as was originally thought. They'll be effective enough that even the UK will be able to use daylight to create energy. Energy storage is the next hurdle.

A colleague of mine recently when to a conference in Netherlands for Shell. They stated that they'll stop extracting oil by 2035 and that they will no-longer be an oil company they'll be an energy company. I assume all the oil companies are thinking like this, certainly European ones.

PHEV / FHEV is the stepping stone to BEV. With this much effort being put into energy management / creation BEVs will be viable long before 2040.

Last edited:

p.b

Forum GOD!
The thing I can't get my head around is that electricity doesn't grow on trees, so it's being generated either by nuclear power or by burning fossil fuels. It may be better for the emissions from your car but surely it's just moving the environmental problem elsewhere? Plus batteries are hardly the most ecologically sound things.
The ICE is very inefficient. It rarely spins at it's most efficient speed whereas a turbine always runs at it's most efficient speed. Plus power stations don't kick out that much NOX.

At present the batteries are expensive but so were flat screens a few years ago. And if you own a lithium mine you're definitely sitting pretty for a while.

R181

Grumpy old man
yes - that's why an FHEV is the better solution for North America with the longer distance journeys and why China and Europe will lead the way on BEVs. Shame you didn't enjoy the HEV you tried. Sluggish sounds like a vehicle calibration issue rather than a fundamental limitation as punchiness off the line is a EV strength.
Yes, would not surprise me one bit that the dealer did not have the vehicle set up properly. I have had that happen with ICE cars in the past. It is a sure way to discourage sales. It did and it saved me money too.

Bob

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
The ICE is very inefficient. It rarely spins at it's most efficient speed whereas a turbine always runs at it's most efficient speed. Plus power stations don't kick out that much NOX.

At present the batteries are expensive but so were flat screens a few years ago. And if you own a lithium mine you're definitely sitting pretty for a while.
That makes sense. Perhaps naively I would like to think that by 2040 they'll have the infrastructure in place and who knows where they could be technologically with another 20 years of development.

p.b

Forum GOD!
That makes sense. Perhaps naively I would like to think that by 2040 they'll have the infrastructure in place and who knows where they could be technologically with another 20 years of development.
A couple of weeks ago I was talking to one of the dad's at my daughter school. He installs National Grid power lines. He was saying that the cables they are laying today have a life span of 20 years (the insulation will breakdown) compared to the stuff they used in the 1950 which is still going strong today. I guess that means that they'll have to re-invent the power grid anyway...

R181

Grumpy old man
Have to admit the Tesla 3 seems a step in the right direction. Now all they have to do is get the range to about 500 miles/800 kms between charges and they may something I'd be interested in. OTH the one big screen display may not be too good in our winters here, just may take a while to display properly.

Bob

p.b

Forum GOD!
@R181 do OLED malfunction at -30C? I remember testing in Manitoba at that temperature but when the displays were all LCD and they took forever to display properly.

pjgh

Forum GOD!
Oh, I'm going to get sucked in here ...

While I do agree that our motoring activities have a negative effect upon our environment, it's our activities and not necessarily the means of power. If we drove less, there'd be less of an issue. Smarter fuel for the ICE has been good - we've cleaned up our act, but in the process quite exponentially increased our usage. I'm thinking unleaded and I'm thinking E85/E100, something which you don't see a lot of nowadays ... and being a SAAB man, that was a bit of fun while it lasted.

The thing is with electric vehicles, you still have to make the electricity. Take energy out of something and there are knock-on consequences. Waves not quite reaching their previous destination, wind no longer getting to where it used to, sun rays not hitting what they used to. In the end, fossil fuel is a renewable - we just have to wait a few million years.

It'll be a "watch this space" ... 2040 is less than one generation away. My grandchildren will be learning to drive in a new era. Heck! My daughter might even have passed her test by then (sore point) :D

One thing I think we will see is ...

... not necessarily a replacement battery infrastructure, but a replacement CAR infrastructure. You sign up, you get a car. You drive it somewhere, you leave it (for recharge) and carry on in another car. Like today's methods of media delivery, you won't necessarily own it ... just pay for the right to drive and your leasing company will provide the vehicle.

R181

Grumpy old man
@R181 do OLED malfunction at -30C? I remember testing in Manitoba at that temperature but when the displays were all LCD and they took forever to display properly.
Don't know how OLED works at those winter temps typically encountered here for close to 3 months of the year. OLED TVs are never viewed outside at those temps. :D Yes, LCD displays in a car are a real POS here in winter.

Bob

Reactions: p.b

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Part of the problem is congestion and the number of cars sitting there pumping out exhaust without actually moving. Doing something to sort that out would help.

Mr Tee

Veteran
Have always had more performance oriented cars until I started with Range Rovers. Supercharged jags, type r Hondas etc. Happened to be in Edinburgh a few weeks back and walked past the tesla shop in multrees walk, went in, thought the model x looks ok, back doors a pure gimmick though. Offered a test drive from fonab castle last week as was on holiday up that way. All I can say is wow, totally blew me away, was a P100, quiet with truly mental immediate power, kids were laughing at the shove! Think they're a better proposition as a 2nd hand, let someone else pay the hefty depreciation, although Scottish government have interest free loans available for ev's for up to £30k over max of 6 years. Some of the deals available on new model s are hard to ignore. I feel some man maths coming on..

Reactions: p.b

les24preludes

Forum GOD!
Becoming vegetarians and using electric power won't stop the impending catastrophe over global warming, too late for that. It might make some of the more enlightened governments feel less guilty, which I suppose is something. I'll believe that progress is possible when I see USA, India and China go all electric. But does anyone seriously think this is going to happen any time soon? Even when New Orleans is underwater politicians will go on protecting their vested interests. And as for China and India, they seem to be expanding their energy needs rather than doing anything creative about changing that. I frankly see very little hope. One small step, one giant ++++-up for mankind.