New Bike

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
I'm bummed. Went for a ride today. At about 11.5 miles of a 12.5 mile loop and a hoped for ride of over 20 miles I felt some crunching that then led to a complete freeze up of my drivetrain. I stopped and looked down in horror as my rear derailleur had completely snapped off and was just hanging from the chain by the pulleys. Walked the bike a mile home and took a closer look. A piece of stick was wedged into the pulley on the derailleur turned out to be the culprit. This is a Shimano Ultegra 9 speed groupset. Now I need to find a replacement that won't make me have to change out the entire drivetrain. Not happy I tell you. Not happy.

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
I'm bummed. Went for a ride today. At about 11.5 miles of a 12.5 mile loop and a hoped for ride of over 20 miles I felt some crunching that then led to a complete freeze up of my drivetrain. I stopped and looked down in horror as my rear derailleur had completely snapped off and was just hanging from the chain by the pulleys. Walked the bike a mile home and took a closer look. A piece of stick was wedged into the pulley on the derailleur turned out to be the culprit. This is a Shimano Ultegra 9 speed groupset. Now I need to find a replacement that won't make me have to change out the entire drivetrain. Not happy I tell you. Not happy.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cycle/road/rear-derailleurs/?ea=4294720050

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
Picked new front and rear brakes up yesterday.
Hope ones, lets see if they live up to the reputation. I’ve had lots of Hope components over the years but never brakes

Grarea

Forum Plod
I had something similar years ago.
A stick got caught up but ripped off the rear derailleur hanger from the frame.
It was part of the frame.

Thug

Let's talk about 6, Baby.
Picked new front and rear brakes up yesterday.
Hope ones, lets see if they live up to the reputation. I’ve had lots of Hope components over the years but never brakes
Hope brakes in my opinion are the bees knees!

I have a pair of their Mini-Mono's on my single speed which I love. They previously did duty on my trail bike and never gave me a days problems.

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
Hope brakes in my opinion are the bees knees!

I have a pair of their Mini-Mono's on my single speed which I love. They previously did duty on my trail bike and never gave me a days problems.
Cool
I’ve had Hope hubs and BB’s loads of times and still do in fact

Thug

Cool
I’ve had Hope hubs and BB’s loads of times and still do in fact
I have a couple of sets of their Hubs and also have never had any issues whatsoever. In fact my Pro 2's, which are probably over 7 years old, have never even had the bearings changed out.

MntnMan62

Forum GOD!
I took my mountain bike in to the same shop for some adjustment to my drivetrain and to check out the suspension fork. It's an old bike that I have not ridden in years. It's been sitting in the basement while I have spent time riding the road bike. But I've been itching to hit the trails again especially with a 2,100 acre park a couple blocks from my house. My biggest concern was the fork as I thought it wasn't working properly. The mechanic checked it out and felt it was working just fine and suggested I just leave it alone. He lubed the stanchions and that was it. He also spent time on the drivetrain and brakes and it's shifting smoothly again. It's a Schwinn that I bought back in the late 90's when my wife and I bought matching mountain bikes. Nothing special. Schwinn Mesa GSX. I took to the mountain biking while my wife's sat in the basement. As I rode more and got better I began upgrading the bike one part at a time. First was the front suspension fork which I replaced with a Marzocchi Bomber Z4 which immediately turned the bike into a true trail bike. It already had a Shimano Deore LX rear derailleur so I upgraded the front derailleur, shifters and crankset to LX as well. I bought Sun Rhyno Lite rims with LX hubs and replaced the handlebars, stem and seat post with Titec stuff. And lastly changed out the grips (can't remember the name). I easily spent as much or more on upgrades as I did for the bike itself. And it was well worth it. The mechanic said not to ever get rid of that bike as it is a quality frame based upon the same design as Schwinn's venerable Homegrown and was built back when Schwinn was Schwinn. Looking forward to my first trail ride in years.

Last edited:

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
I have a couple of sets of their Hubs and also have never had any issues whatsoever. In fact my Pro 2's, which are probably over 7 years old, have never even had the bearings changed out.
I have have a pack or two of Hope bearings, if they are Pro 2 ones and not BB ones you are welcome to them for postage cost

Thug

I have have a pack or two of Hope bearings, if they are Pro 2 ones and not BB ones you are welcome to them for postage cost
Thank you for the kind offer but I have a very good mate that now works for Bearingman.

Grarea

Forum Plod
I know a couple of guys with ebikes now.
They both absolutely love them.
Gets them out when otherwise they wouldn't.