New Bike

halvor

a most elusive fish
Last time I was looking for a bike, it was shortly after my daughter had entered this world and I thought I had better get a bike to be fitted with a seat for her. Suffice to say I failed miserably at that mission, and need to get back onto it.

The make and model I ended up with, a Salsa Spearfish. Got it at 70% off. (Photo courtesy of Salsa bikes.)

MPF9

Forum GOD!
My CX & do it all bike:

It has changed a little since that pic, TRP HY/DR brakes, a seatpost that matches the bars/stem, nicer tyres and Speedplay pedals to match my other two...
My All season bike:

My summer/nice weather bike:

I have a MTB too, but I don't have a pic to hand. It's a Cotic Soul hardtail running a Rockshox Revelation DA U-Turn, Shimano XT/XTR, (old fashioned 27speed though!) and KCNC finishing kit. It needs a bit of love as I very rarely use it!
Very Nice, but as for Looks I still think a Classic Steel Frame equipped with Campag takes some beating.

Grarea

Forum Plod
Well worth it.
I am just so comfortable on it.
It was a really enjoyable build. No compromise with what comes with what out of the shops.
I bought the frame new and went from there. Just because there weren't many of those frames kicking about.
Getting the frame top length and angle right for me was the hardest bit.
Well, that and the stem length with the frame length.
Well worth the brain work though. Once you have the right one you will love it.
Oh and watch out for the 'thingy thingy distance'
Something to do with getting the chain centred on the rear cogs from the front. (Can't remember the phrase)

I went with 26" wheels.
Mainly because that is what I am used to, but also, i prefer mucking about on tricky bits so preferred the idea of the smaller wheel.

Edit: Oh, the other thing that was important to me which is lovely to get right is the wheel base.

Last edited:

JamieM

Extreme sharpness is ephemeral!
Last time I was looking for a bike, it was shortly after my daughter had entered this world and I thought I had better get a bike to be fitted with a seat for her. Suffice to say I failed miserably at that mission, and need to get back onto it.

The make and model I ended up with, a Salsa Spearfish. Got it at 70% off. (Photo courtesy of Salsa bikes.)

JamieM Senior Member
New Wow! great looking bike I would love one of those.

halvor

a most elusive fish
New Wow! great looking bike I would love one of those.
Thanks. My first ever full susp bike. It's made for ultra endurance races in a tad lighter terrain. Or so I am told, I wouldn't know. What I do know, however, is that it's great fun riding it, in ups and downs and on flats :)

@Holyzeus Clown as in too much fuss on them and they would look better in all black?

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
Thanks. My first ever full susp bike. It's made for ultra endurance races in a tad lighter terrain. Or so I am told, I wouldn't know. What I do know, however, is that it's great fun riding it, in ups and downs and on flats :)

@Holyzeus Clown as in too much fuss on them and they would look better in all black?
Ha!
No, its what 29" wheels were called when the industry first decided thats what we all need...

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Here's are my bikes:

Pashley for tootling around - Brooks saddle and upright handlebars make it very comfortable. Five speed Sturmey Archer gears and hub brakes mean little maintenance - although changing the rear tyre with everything that has to be undone is a challenge.
image.jpeg

Here's my road bike in carbon frame and fitted for winter cycling. I used it regularly after heart surgery as a way of getting fit but the last 18 months haven't seen much use with moving house. I have no excuses now having retired.
image.jpeg

Grarea

Forum Plod
Nice pair of bikes. @UKRob
I have picked up some second hand leather saddles, I want to try them for a while.
Once they are your shape, they are meant to be great aren't they?
I couldn't resist but take some photos as well.
Like I say, the roadie is a test bed for what I want.
Not sure about the frame size and shape, it is quite close, but am liking my bars and brake levers for example.
I need to do a few miles again to get back into shape.
(As I say, it certainly isn't a nickable bike :))

Cycles 002.JPG Cycles 003.JPG

Francorelli

Forum fella
The full-suspension bikes in this thread are making me realise how out of touch I am. I was a keen mountain biker back in the days when wheels were all 26", and 6" of travel was only seen on full-blown downhill bikes. I rode a Marin Mount Vision for several years (great bike).

This hardtail has been my ride for the past nine years. I built it up from a Felt frame. Very old school - Avid V brakes and original Marzocchi Z1s.

Felt1.jpg

JamieM

Extreme sharpness is ephemeral!
Here's my old bike a Giant Terrago Trail I road it for years only trail work never over really rough terrain, I sold it about two years back can't really ride my bike and walk the Dogs.