New Bike

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Think I have a cleaning job this afternoon.

I did many a mile on this back in the day. Use to do up to 25 miles most evenings, some off road. Got chased out of a country park by a warden in a van for going off road. Went over them handle bars and landed in a holly bush. Did a few sponsored rides, one from Basingstoke to Southampton.

Last edited:

Grarea

Forum Plod
:)
Yep took me back too.
I had a Jamis Diablo. First MTB. Loved it.
Followed by something I put together on a fat tube aluminium frame out of the cannondale factory.
I would def have a non suss mtb as well if i had the space.

NeilJ

Forum GOD!
This is one of my bikes (I have four), It's a Thorn Audax 853 and I love it to bits. It's so comfortable to ride and perfectly fast enough for my needs. I've been using it on most days during lockdown. I enjoy packing some lunch and a flask and taking myself off along the quieter roads of the Vale of Clwyd.

My other bikes are a Thorn Raven Tour, Thorn Sport Tour (both Rohloff) and a Brian Rourke 853 with Campag group-set.

image.jpeg

Grarea

Forum Plod
This is one of my bikes (I have four), It's a Thorn Audax 853 and I love it to bits. It's so comfortable to ride and perfectly fast enough for my needs. I've been using it on most days during lockdown. I enjoy packing some lunch and a flask and taking myself off along the quieter roads of the Vale of Clwyd.

My other bikes are a Thorn Raven Tour, Thorn Sport Tour (both Rohloff) and a Brian Rourke 853 with Campag group-set.

View attachment 68760
Nice bikes.
Is the Rourke a custom built frame?

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
That was close ! Didn’t spot the false widow spider on the front brake had my finger almost on it. That would of been a nasty bite !!!

NeilJ

Forum GOD!
Nice bikes.
Is the Rourke a custom built frame?
Thanks.
The Rourke isn’t a custom frame I’m afraid. I bought it locally a couple of years ago as a project bike as the frame size is perfect for me (I’m only 5ft 6) It’s in very good condition although the colour scheme is very 1990s Greg Lemond era, ie garish. I still haven’t got around to getting it sorted as been spending time and money doing house improvements 🙁

Grarea

Forum Plod
I recently purchased an Aluminium 29'er from Isla Bikes. I suspect a kid's branded adult bike is deeply uncool but it has been ok. It is 1x9, has a chromoly fork and cable discs. Even so feel its limitations, I notice the harshness of the Ali frame compared to a chromoly frame; I do find myself wanting a higher gear and I prefer rim brakes. That said it is reasonably light, feels agile and is fun to ride.

View attachment 68768
Do you mean that the brakes have a bit to be desired?
I have them and am pretty pleased with them. I find them better than rim and not as good as my hydro discs.
Might be a few things.
They might just be cheap brakes.
Might be the cable run.
Might be the cable outers.
Might be the pads.
I suspect, however, they just need a tweak.

Missoni

Fellow Traveller
Do you mean that the brakes have a bit to be desired?
I have them and am pretty pleased with them. I find them better than rim and not as good as my hydro discs.
Might be a few things.
They might just be cheap brakes.
Might be the cable run.
Might be the cable outers.
Might be the pads.
I suspect, however, they just need a tweak.
You maybe correct. I think it is just personal preference, I find the rim brakes are more effective and I can judge them better so that I can just touch lock-up for maximum braking. My discs are cheapo's and to be fair the feel from the front brake is great but the pressure required for maximum braking on the rear brake requires handful of brake lever.

Grarea

Forum Plod
You maybe correct. I think it is just personal preference, I find the rim brakes are more effective and I can judge them better so that I can just touch lock-up for maximum braking. My discs are cheapo's and to be fair the feel from the front brake is great but the pressure required for maximum braking on the rear brake requires handful of brake lever.
Sounds like you had rim brake tuning to a fine art.
Now to do the same with disc brakes :)
It is very nice when they stop you downhill in the wet just as well as they do in the dry once sorted.