Need a recommendation for a shiny finish.

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes, Trucks & Vans' started by Northam Saint, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Northam Saint

Northam Saint Forum GOD!

My Peugeot seems to be really attracting the crud off these Devon roads. I’ve never known a car to be such a magnet. The Skoda seems to fend it off.

So can anyone recommend a wax / top coat that will act as a repellent and keep it at least half shiny. But, I don’t want anything I’m going to have to spend hours on applying, not with my dodgy knee. I’ve seen ad’s for ceramic “polish”, is that any good ? I’ve used Auto Glym in the past, but I’d like something longer lasting.

DamianJ likes this.
  2. Paper Plane

Paper Plane Über Member

I've had good results with this stuff in the past.

https://www.merproducts.com/product/the-ultimate-polish/

My 2005 reg 407 responds well enough to Auto Glym though. :)

steve

Grishnak and Northam Saint like this.
  3. DamianJ

DamianJ Forum GOD!

It seems ages since I gave my car a proper going over, I don't seem to have the time anymore.

I have used Autoglym super resin polish many times, it forms a great base for a wax or sealant.

I can recommend G Techniq sealants, I think it's C2. It's very easy to use and apply and lasts very well. It is very good at repelling water.

There's probably newer easier coatings available now though, I kind of lost touch with that stuff a while ago.

Northam Saint likes this.
  4. Northam Saint

Northam Saint Forum GOD!

Same here on losing touch. I went in to Halfords earlier today and gave up ! I just want something that goes on quick, does a decent job and lasts a bit. I haven’t got half a day to mess about with clay bars and the likes.

DamianJ likes this.
  5. ShaunWistow

ShaunWistow WAWAW

Hmm, as an avid car detailer it all depends on what you can give in time.

Always wash with 2 buckets, 1 rinse 1 wash

Always use a good wash mitt...no sponge

Dry with a quality towel...no chamois

Then how much time you got? If you aren’t bothered about the defects in your paint then buy a tub of Finish Kare 1000p (FK 1000p). Apply as thin as a gnats chuff & buff with a quality cloth.

Use a quality shampoo for subsequent washes. 2 layers of FK should see you good for 3-5 months

Tommo likes this.
  6. DamianJ

DamianJ Forum GOD!

Have a look at the C2 G Techniq stuff for over your Autoglym, it's almost like a spray on, wipe over and done sealant.

Northam Saint likes this.
  7. DamianJ

DamianJ Forum GOD!

If memory serves @ShaunWistow may be able to offer more up to date advice. Apologies Shaun if I'm mistaken.

ShaunWistow likes this.
  8. Rob99

Rob99 Über Member

I like mequiars, mothers and poorboy.

Easy to use.
    And they have also a spray wax, which is easy to apply

9. Rowlers

Rowlers Massive Member Staff Member

DamianJ and Northam Saint like this.
  10. Northam Saint

Northam Saint Forum GOD!

I have seen this one online but they didn’t have it Halfords. The adverts I’ve seen make it look impressive.

11. Wayne

Wayne Forum Sod

I have just bought this to put on my new car, I'm no detailer, it's just to help with it being black. 'Cos no matter what I do, the moment it rains, shines or it moves it's gonna be blathered. Got decent write up and only cost me £7.00 odd from Amazon.
    no1.jpg

12. Nishy

Nishy Forum GOD! Staff Member

Out of interest why no to the chamois?

13. ShaunWistow

ShaunWistow WAWAW

It Marrs the paint, modern paint is soft. When you pull up against a dark car in the sun, look at the dull paint, like it’s had butter smeared on it.

A Chamois will trap very fine grit in the surface & younthen transfer that grit onto the car. A buffing towel has long strands & any fing grit gets trapped & away from the paint.

Nishy likes this.
  14. Nishy

Nishy Forum GOD! Staff Member

That is interesting and yes I've seen that butter or smeared look. Will stop using the chamois :)

ShaunWistow likes this.
  15. Sid James

Sid James ...

I use a pet dryer

ShaunWistow likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice