Review Myrsol Emulsion

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Dr Watson, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Dr Watson

Dr Watson The Other James

Just a quick one... Myrsol Emulsion:

[​IMG]

Wanted to try this for ages but never got around to it, finally picked up a bottle last week and have been using it after every shave since it arrived. I paid just over £13 for the bottle so not too expensive for 180ml of product, the most I've seen it for is £16 so still not bad considering the volume provided is nearly double the amount for your average balm.

Presentation is classic Myrsol (in fact I think I'm right in saying Emulsion was the product the late Mr. Miquel Ricou Sole founded his business on.) I like the thick glass bottle with finger grips and its not just cosmetic as this design prevents it slipping out of your hand and if used correctly also prevents the product dripping over the paper label and spoiling it.

[​IMG]

Consistency is very thick, retrieving it from the glass bottle brings back memories of slapping the end of a ketchup bottle! However, once on your face and rubbed in it does seem to thin down a little, its absorbed fairly quickly and left my skin supple for a good 4-5 hours after application. I dont feel it helps soothe irritation at all, apparently there is menthol in the composition but I couldn't detect any and I would describe the scent as faintly medicinal but gone within 5 minutes. In my opinion this is not a balm to soothe and repair but might help alleviate dry skin post-shave? It is also recommended for use pre-shave but I'm yet to find any pre-shave product that makes any difference to the actual shave so haven't tried it myself. I did read Mr Miquel used to use it as a shaving cream of sorts which sounds impressive but further reading of his interview will reveal he also only ever did one WTG pass using a Wilkinson Sword classic DE, so not much of a test then...

[​IMG]

Ingredients are as follows:

Simple formula with a couple of nasties, triethanolamine and methylparaben... Both completely unnecessary, why they haven't reformulated to remove them is beyond me.

[​IMG]

Upon my first use of Emulsion I was immediately reminded of another product I've used very recently - Mitchell's Wool Fat body lotion. The Myrsol is slightly thicker but otherwise they feel and perform exactly the same... I've compared ingredients and they are pretty much the same except the Myrsol has Glycerine and the Fat has Paraffinum liquidum.

Conclusion: Would I recommend it? If you suffer with dry skin post-shave then yes. Would I buy it again myself? No. For my face there are superior products out there.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    Blackmass, Quique, Boru62 and 3 others like this.
  2. Benz3ne

Benz3ne Legendary Member

Triethanolamine is a particularly common pH adjuster, to balance the use of stearic acid. Does a decent enough job and you almost always need next to none (think <0.1%). Stearic acid is a particularly weak acid so to buffer to slightly acidic (~pH 6 for skin products) you'd need not a lot whatsoever. Similar story for methylparaben (0.4% maximum, most companies use between 1/8 and 1/4 of this figure) but I'll agree that methylparaben can be more easily swapped out. There's definitely alternatives out there, but it's another one which is good at what it does! It'd also read 'sodium methylparaben', as the salt of methylparaben rather than sodium, methylparaben. It'd be a nightmare to manufacture if you had to add sodium to an aqueous mixture!

I.e. there's significantly mitigated risk given the quantities used.

Back to your review, despite having not tried it, I'll agree that it's a moisturiser rather than a relief/repair jobby. Both glycerin and vaseline (paraffinum liquidum) are good at trapping moisture at the surface of the skin (humectant) and stearic acid, aside from acting as the emulsifier, is relatively decent at softening skin.

I can fully see why you wouldn't buy it again for yourself. Nice review and some great pictures. :okay:

Quique, Boru62, Pat-W and 1 other person like this.
  3. I use this after every shave (and after applying Floid Blue splash) and find it suits me. I like the fact that it tones down any shininess and hydrates without feeling at all greasy.

I’ve tried plenty of other balms including high end (ADP and Santa Maria Novella included), but never thought they out-performed Myresol.

I’m a firm believer that skin types differ so much, there’s not much point in taking notice of another’s opinion - you need to experiment until you find what suits you.

Incidentally, I now always order the plastic bottle with flip cap as it’s better for travelling and flexible enough to let you control exactly how much you want to use.

Boru62 likes this.
  4. Dr Watson

Thanks for that Ben, much appreciated and its good to know that the bottle sitting on the dresser might not be quite so dangerous as previously thought :wink: For example, if you google "Triethanolamine" this is the second result: https://naturaveda.com/education/12...care-products/the-dangers-of-triethanolamine/

Knowing what each ingredient does must go a long way in helping make informed purchases, if I'd known it was just a bottle of moisturiser I wouldn't have bought it :laugh:

Boru62 and Benz3ne like this.
  5. Dr Watson

Can't argue with that but hopefully my review might help someone else decide if they even want to try it or not... Anyone expecting something soothing (all I use a balm for) will be disappointed as a bottle of Nivea from the £1 shop would be just as good as the Emulsion IMO.

6. Benz3ne

Benz3ne Legendary Member

Absolutely. If you misspell it and bring up results for triethylamine you get even worse results! :P

In fact, I've got a bottle of triethanolamine sitting in the lab... and triethylamine... and more, much more. :drink:

It definitely does help. My better half takes great pleasure in picking up random cosmetics and asking me what x and y ingredient does! :confused:In fairness, I find it a fun 'quiz' as well!

Boru62 and Dr Watson like this.
  7. I certainly wasn’t implying any criticism of the review just pointing out that we experience products differently. Nivea is a good example - I recall posts where some users experienced horrendous burn even with the Sensitive version.

Dr Watson likes this.
  8. Dr Watson

No worries matey, I didn't think you were :)

I was just hoping to put the information out there on what it actually is as prior to my purchase all I could find were gushing reviews lauding it as some sort of wonder potion. Now anyone who's read my review can make an educated decision on whether they still wish to try it or not... If they're looking for a post-shave moisturiser in a very classy bottle then they will likely love the Myrsol :okay:

I made a rookie error, I should have checked the ingredient list myself before buying to check it was what I like in a balm.

9. Blackmass

Blackmass Forum GOD!

Good review James. If Emulsion does do I for you, what are your favourite aftershave products?

I use Emulsion myself and I'm a fan.

Shaverrific666 likes this.
  10. Dr Watson

I think people just have wildly different taste in aftershave, personally I rank the Fine range along with the Emulsion as some of my least liked and yet I know they're are some of your go to's.

My all round favourites would be from Saponificio Varesino, I quite like the sticky face effect from the aloe :happy: If we're just talking balms like the emulsion then simple Proraso sensitive does a fantastic job and another (wildcard alert!) is Tony Moly Banana, its the mutts nuts :cool: Not intended as an aftershave but dont let that put you off.

P3290605 copy.jpg

Blackmass likes this.
  11. Quique

Quique Forum GOD!

Thanks for this good review James

I really like Myrsol's lotions, especially Agua de Limón and Fórmula C, but I do not like Emulsion, although in Spain it's a product that many people like

Dr Watson and Blackmass like this.
  12. HMan

HMan Veteran

I used it as preshave when I was using commercial grade soaps and it helped, after stepping up to modern artisans, it's totally unnecessary for me. Still have half a bottle just sitting.

13. Good review, James.
    I have never tried it but it seems to get great reviews.. I like Mysol Aftershaves..very nice, classic and old fashioned like many great Spanish splashes such as Floid, LEA and Aqua Velva . Good stuff.:thumbsup:

14. halvor

halvor Esquire

Have you tried Myrsol Antesol, James? Includes allantoin, I believe, which should give you that face effect you’re after.

I’ve never tried any Myrsol myself — unheard of!! — just ordered Agua Balsamica (herbal) and Formula C (floral minty).

Blackmass likes this.
  15. HMan

HMan Veteran

Antesol is wonderful, but tbh they all have great face feel, the stuff is just very clean feeling.

For me Formula C might actually have the best face feel of all.

Agua Balsamica isn't my favorite, but lots of guys love it. Actually Emulsion smells similar, but i do like the smell of Emulsion.

halvor likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice