My prototype shaving stand

Nick_S

Forum GOD!
Welcome to my razor/brush prototype stand build thread.

I do enjoy building things with wood, despite the fact I am not particularly good at it, nor do I have all the right things with which to do a proper job so to speak. That said, I do what I can with what I have, and I happened to have some scrap wood and the urge to make something. I need a stand for my razors and brushes and thought why not!

So I had to gather a few odds and ends so off to Toolstation I went for a dowel jig, some dowels and some wood glue (and an obligatory pot of Swarfega, the reasons for which will become obvious later).

I thought I'd make it big enough to fit 6 brushes and the same again in razors. I wanted it to be a simple thing, but all construction was to be as invisible as possible, so no screws here.

I cut two pieces of wood to 40cm after lining up the brushes by eye and cutting to the nearest decent figure. I then took my longest razor, my tallest brush and laid them end to end to decide how tall this contraption would be. 30cm it turns out allows for a little leeway, and I was left with this:

I proceeded to start marking out for the dowels:

And drilling some dowel holes:

To drill these safely and accurately, I had to get the old clamps out and this beast didn't want to play ball so I had to soak the thread in WD-40 and let it sit for an hour then jamb the wing nut end in between two slabs and turn it with brute force...it hadn't been used in probably 10 years:

And started test fitting what will be the top piece to the two sides after gluing in the dowels to the side pieces:

I repeated the procedure for what will be the bottom (and will hold the brushes, bristle down) and again glued the dowels to the sides, and test fit by pushing together, and stuck it in the bathroom to see how it would all work. Granted, holes and slots have yet to be cut, but you can see where I am going with this:

If once I have cut the slots and holes, I make a decent enough job of it, I will buy some quality hardwood, and have a crack at a proper job. That said, I have learned the following from this build process so far:

1) My saw is blunt and I really could do with a bench saw to get accurate cuts...a purchase may have to follow.

2) I could really do with a proper work bench. Unfortunately I don't have the space for a workshop, so I may have to invest in a Black & Decker Workmate.

3) A press drill would be a great thing to have, I may have to invest and thin out the detailing gear to make space.

4) You can never have enough clamps. Ratchet clamps preferably.

So there we have it, an hour or so's work and we are this far. Hopefully tomorrow I will get the spade drill bits out and drill the holes for the razors and what will form the end of the brush slots, then cut those slots out completely. I'll then get some grain filler, fill the end grain and wax it for a bit of protection (it is already varnished on all un-cut faces, and I am all out of clear varnish).

Nick_S

Forum GOD!
Good work! A job well done.

Never used or seen a dowel jig, to google.
Excellent-looking stand! Well done and thank you for the tutorial! :thumbsup:
Thanks chaps :)

The dowel jig is very helpful if you've not got a drill press. For a fiver or so that it cost me, it's worth every penny so far. I'll show the markings out of the slots etc in the next instalment, which will hopefully be one evening early this week :)

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Just a suggestion Nick - maybe thinner wood for the final project. You appear to have some good wood-working skills.

Nick_S

Forum GOD!
Thanks gents :)

@UKRob - that's the plan, the only reason this wood was used was because it was to hand and I didn't want to waste it :) I've been looking at thinner planks of oak for the final piece, but struggling (with limited searching conducted as yet) to find much thinner than 19mm :)