My fountain pens

Vacumatic

Testy
Just had the unpleasant job of telling someone that what he thought was a £1200 pen is a fake and originally sold from China for £35, this man bought the pen on Bay through a UK seller for £500+. If there are any positives to this story, the pen works very well and does look like the real MccCoy, apart from one (huge) difference.

He is in shock

There are so many fake pens on eBay, it would not be so bad if the seller would actually use replica in the description and priced accordingly. I have flagged this issue with eBay and obtained no response whatsoever.

Vacumatic

Testy
image.jpeg

Please excuse the poor focus, it is the built in camera from an old iPad.

Another interest is restoring and collecting fountain pens, sometimes just for what they represent in history

1. This little black Parker from the early 30s is a favourite, it works by pressing a small button at the end of the barrel which compresses a rubber sac. Part of its charm for me would be the idea that 90 years ago someone was sat at a bench in Janesville putting the parts together with no idea that their work would be appreciated into the next Millenia

2. A low cost pen that is solid brass and copies a 60 year old German design, cartridge filled.

3. A huge pen from Jinhao that has something of the style of the flagship Montblanc 149, current retail price is around £800 which some would say is too much to pay for style over substance. The Jinhao is about £10

4. This is a Twsbi Eco pen. This is filled with a piston inside the barrel, not without its design faults including the item on the specification that said that the pen could be dismantled by the owner, rather like a car engine can be taken apart by the owner, some things are best left alone, This Twsbi is quite good value at £30

5 Parker Vacumatic, prized by collectors and made from the early 30s to the late 40s. A complicated filling system that uses a pump to create a vacuum which sucks ink into the barrel, some examples are worth £500+ today

6. Parker Duofold, this particular pen has a good back story, made in the 1950s and bought from a monastery which was having a sale to raise money. When monks enter a monastery they must give up everything that they own, this pen was one such item. It was placed in a storeroom where it sat for 40 years and just a little to close to a window, the sun bleached the final inch of the cap.

Must admit that my favourite is the old Parker, a relic of more austere times in the US economy, it still writes perfectly and is a joy to own.

Last edited:

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Read this post and the inevitable occurred, very happy that it did.
My usual pens are a Waterman and Sheaffer as below:

PXL_20220901_144506355.jpg

PXL_20220901_144250211.jpg

Last edited:

HardLight

Veteran
Old thread.

I find fountain pens fascinating. I do not own one but like the idea. I do a lot of writing. Mostly note taking, Doc #'s if at the courthouse, signing witness blocks or handling deeds. I go through pens pretty quickly. Blue ink pens are like gold on my floor--most legal docs need to be signed in blue. Further reading warranted.

Twelvefret

Forum GOD!
Old thread.

I find fountain pens fascinating. I do not own one but like the idea. I do a lot of writing. Mostly note taking, Doc #'s if at the courthouse, signing witness blocks or handling deeds. I go through pens pretty quickly. Blue ink pens are like gold on my floor--most legal docs need to be signed in blue. Further reading warranted.
I’ve learned to restore 1955 and earlier Esterbrook FP’s. I use Waterman Serenity Blue.

HardLight

Veteran
I’ve learned to restore 1955 and earlier Esterbrook FP’s. I use Waterman Serenity Blue.
I was looking at a Waterman. While I’m sure it’s a fantastic pen. I’m unsure if it’s a wise choice as a first one? It’s around a C-Note. Whichever the case, I’ll have to keep it away from the pen pilferers. Thanks for the tip on the ink.

Smiffy

Forum GOD!
If you are looking for a first pen on a budget try a Jinhao X159. It is a big pen styled on the Montblanc 149, cost is under $12 delivered.

Good looking and performs well on a low price.

image.jpeg

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
I've only had two Jinhaos but my experience with them has not been good. I've bought quite a few pens, a couple of them fairly high-end, and my go-to is still the Lamy Safari.

HardLight

Veteran
Ive read numerous times, to get a cheap first one. I don’t mind paying for the middle of the road pen. It going to get used daily. Kinda feel like I’m in a cigar shop for the first time, so many and not smart on the topic. Although, I have been reading up on use.

I didn’t realize they can get so pricy, wow! A couple of thousand and up. A couple of hund, perhaps doable without getting murdered in my sleep by this lady I call the, Missus.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Smiffy

Forum GOD!
There is a Harley pen, no idea whether it as any good or not.

51C7o3e6KUL._AC_SX569_.jpg

As you have found out there is plenty out there, at all price levels.

Many people swear by the brand Pelikan, a well made piston filler pen that is easy to use. This should come it under $100 for the M200

41DXBHozQ5L._AC_SL1000_.jpg