My First Vintage Razor

RazorSharp

Forum GOD!
My grandfather who lived in India past away a couple of years ago, I met him once in my life and that was around 30 years ago. My wife and I kept planning on visiting my family in India but things happened which meant we never got to go back and see him before he past.
We managed to visit last year and I stayed with my aunt. I had read some reviews about Godrej soap so was asking where I would be able to buy some from. To my surprise it turned out my grandfather used to shave with a DE Razor and Godrej soap.
My mother returned from a trip to India last month and my aunt passed on his razor something I was never expecting (I honestly can't believe she has passed it on to me). I know it's not a vintage special edition worth loads but it's special to me as it was my grandfather's.
I think the handle is an old Gillette not sure on the material, the base plate seems to be made of the same material so I'm thinking aluminium (no marking on the base plate). The top cap seems to be a different material and the only marking on it is 'made in Germany'. I have seen similar Gillette's but they have Gillette stamped on the top cap and markings on the base plate.
I would like some help to identify the parts of the razor and also the best way to clean it (sterilise it) so I can have a go, really can't wait to try it out.

IMG_20200103_135858.jpg
IMG_20191224_095137.jpg

TobyC

Patriot
Yep, the handle is from a late Tech, the head is an aggressive but inexpensive German razor that would have come with an extremely light crappy hollow handle. I don't have a picture of mine but here are some others.

They may have all been part of travel kits.

a.jpg

Mine is like this one.

plastic-0.jpg

plastic-2.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Z.jpg

TobyC

Patriot
Handle may also have come from a Nacet.

RazorSharp

Forum GOD!
Thank you for your replies stoncold and tobyc. I think you've found the answers to what type of razor it is.
Have you tried using the cheap German razor Toby? Just wondering how it was like to shave with? The head does look aggressive, I wonder if I could just buy a replacement head for the handle.

Any recommendations on how to sterilise and clean the razor?

TobyC

Patriot
I have shaved with mine, and it has plenty of blade feel!

The heaviest part of the razor, with the original handle, is the zamak cap. If it's on the counter and you lift the handle just a little, it will roll over on the cap with the handle sticking up in the air.

The correct head will come with it's own handle, unless someone has a head they don't want. And it's gonna be a not-so-old zamak crapper anyway. I would just keep it as-is and shave carefully.

Clean with dish soap warm water and a toothbrush, and alcohol after. Don't use anything abrasive, it'll dull the aluminum in a heartbeat.

RazorSharp

Forum GOD!
Thank you guys, appreciate your advise. Yeah looks like barbicide can do some damage if the razor is kept in there to long.
Been looking at other vintage razors now.

RazorSharp

Forum GOD!
Opps, I've gone for it before your tech recommendation and a Fatboy is on its way 😬. I have a thing with adjustables since I bought the Futur!
Given this is second hand what's the best product to disinfect with barbacide? (I'm a bit paranoid/worried about it) and clean with soap and water? I really don't want to remove the paint from the numbers.

TobyC

Patriot
Opps, I've gone for it before your tech recommendation and a Fatboy is on its way 😬. I have a thing with adjustables since I bought the Futur!
Given this is second hand what's the best product to disinfect with barbacide? (I'm a bit paranoid/worried about it) and clean with soap and water? I really don't want to remove the paint from the numbers.
Same cleaning advice as before. You are in more danger touching a public handrail, or money of any kind.

TobyC

Patriot
"The Southern Medical Journal also did one of many studies conducted on the state of our one-dollar bills. A staggering 94% of the bills they tested contained pathogenic, or potentially pathogenic, organisms. In other words, almost every one-dollar bill you touch contains a bacterium, virus, or microorganism that causes disease. Now, what kind of disease you come into contact with is a matter of blind luck."

Furthermore, the very dangerous bacteria MRSA (which can lead to the flesh-eating disease necrotizing fasciitis) was discovered on 80% of the dollar bills studied in a test by St. Petersburg College professor Shannon McQuaig.