Mundane News

R181

Grumpy old man
Quiet difficult on European cars now they all have small engines and turbos now. We had an Audi A3 Sportback 1.2 Ltr Turbo, Skoda Yeti (same engine as the Audi). Octavia has a 1.0 ltr turbo, and that’s an estate car. Quite a big car for a small engine but, when it’s working, it’s capable enough. The other car is a Peugeot 308CC, (convertible) 2.0 ltr Diesel Turbo, Four seats but it’s really only a 2+2. So we are hoping that they come up with a courtesy car. Other wise our family break tomorrow will become a two car affair. With luggage and the dog the Peugeot isn’t big enough and the dog can’t ride in it as only four seat belt points so no point for his harness.
Yes, I noticed that trend in Europe a while ago and now it is really starting here too. Probably all in an effort to increase corporate fuel economy averages. I don't think too many turbos have a pre oil pump for start up or a pump to oil the bearings for a bit after shut down. I think have the problem stems from continuous oil starvation on start up and shut down. A 2.4 ltr 4 banger does me just fine in a small car and is a far cry from the 7.4 ltr in my looong gone pickup truck.

Bob

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Yes, I noticed that trend in Europe a while ago and now it is really starting here too. Probably all in an effort to increase corporate fuel economy averages. I don't think too many turbos have a pre oil pump for start up or a pump to oil the bearings for a bit after shut down. I think have the problem stems from continuous oil starvation on start up and shut down. A 2.4 ltr 4 banger does me just fine in a small car and is a far cry from the 7.4 ltr in my looong gone pickup truck.

Bob
I know that turbo drivers sometimes don’t switch their engine off straight away, makes me think that the stop start system could stress the turbo. That said in serious traffic we switch off the stop start.

Its all confirmed as a warranty repair, no charge, and they have started work to strip out the old. Should be ready tomorrow lunchtime, fingers crossed.

R181

Grumpy old man
I know that turbo drivers sometimes don’t switch their engine off straight away, makes me think that the stop start system could stress the turbo. That said in serious traffic we switch off the stop start.

Its all confirmed as a warranty repair, no charge, and they have started work to strip out the old. Should be ready tomorrow lunchtime, fingers crossed.
Excellent news.

Yes, switching off the engine with a hot turbo can evaporate the oil off the hot bearings. Add the auto stop/start system into the mix likely multiplies the effect hastening damage to the turbo. Never thought of that as my car is old enough it does not have that "feature".

Bob

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Quacks today. Turns out it looks like I have a nasal polyp so three weeks with a spray and anti histamine. If that doesn’t work it could be a visit to Ear Nose and Throat, or it could be one of these bloody NF1 tumours.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Mrs texts me car leaking oil/fluid. Get home and yes a leak, put Carista on and comes up with an ABS fault. Strangely enough she had text me earlier with a low tyre pressure warning. So at a guess there is a brake leak now and explains earlier tyre pressure error as they use ABS to monitor pressure I believe. Fluid had iridescence to it but wasn’t engine oil. So back it goes !

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Car all done, again. Leak due to an oil leak on the turbo. Comment from dealer was it’s inconclusive if the leak was due to them when it was replaced or if it was just a coincidence. Errrr ??? Wait you replaced the turbo and the. We get an oil leak on the turbo !!!! Then make the comment it wasn’t done under warranty, they just did it ???? Doesn’t seem right to me ?

p.b

Forum GOD!
Car all done, again. Leak due to an oil leak on the turbo. Comment from dealer was it’s inconclusive if the leak was due to them when it was replaced or if it was just a coincidence. Errrr ??? Wait you replaced the turbo and the. We get an oil leak on the turbo !!!! Then make the comment it wasn’t done under warranty, they just did it ???? Doesn’t seem right to me ?
Sounds like arse-covering.

R181

Grumpy old man
The bit about not being done under warranty makes it sound like it
Yup, car dealerships don't do things out of the goodness of their hearts. If they really give you trouble you can rattle the car makers cage as they generally don't like to see customers POed.

Bob

Paper Plane

Forum GOD!
Been working on my latest model railway layout most of today in readiness for an exhibition this weekend. Still loads to do but it looks a lot more presentable now than it did a couple of weeks ago.

steve