Muhle Rocca R95 Birch handle maintenance

sev-8

Forum GOD!
For those of you that have the birch bark Rocca handle, how do you keep it clean? Mine looks almost as new on the points that I hold while the rest of it looks as if it's covered in soap scum. Normally I'd attack a metal razor handle with a toothbrush, so what do I do with this one?

I also saw a Badger & Blade thread a while ago talking about what to feed the birch to keep it looking good. All sorts were suggested from olive oil to gun stock oil. Do you do anything special to keep yours looking good?

ewkist

Forum GOD!
I absolutely love the look of the birch handle (in pictures), but purchased the black handle Rocca because I did not know how well the bark would hold up over time. I believe boiled linseed oil (gun stock oil) would be safe to apply if the handle is raw birch bark.

sev-8

Forum GOD!
I absolutely love the look of the birch handle (in pictures), but purchased the black handle Rocca because I did not know how well the bark would hold up over time. I believe boiled linseed oil (gun stock oil) would be safe to apply if the handle is raw birch bark.
I use the razor because of the handle, even though I find it a bit too aggressive and can get better, easier shaves from other razors I have. If I hadn't bought the version with the birch handle, I'm sure it would be gathering dust.

I'll see what other people recommend for maintenance. The first step is to get it clean though :)

SeanC

Forum GOD!
Same stuff is used for cricket bats

Gairdner

Forum GOD!
I started using renaissance wax from before the first use and that worked well. To get rid of soap scum I’d rub it gently with a wet microfibre cloth and then apply the wax.
+1 on this. Great wax. Another thing would be to use Liberon Finishing Oil. It’s good stuff and will wear or fade naturally without peeling, ready for another periodic coat. It’s what I use on my hand-carved brushes and was recommended by @UKRob who in turn, was given the nod by the late Bill Jack of Le Tuft brushes. Good enough for those two gents - more than good enough for me. I’d rather have a good oil that offers protection with a gentle, enhancing glow and satin sheen without being overly glossy. A coating that doesn’t peel or chip but won’t last forever so it can be reapplied without needing stripping or refinishing. I wouldn’t be without it but you may think differently.

sev-8

Forum GOD!
I started using renaissance wax from before the first use and that worked well. To get rid of soap scum I’d rub it gently with a wet microfibre cloth and then apply the wax.
Sure I've got some microfibre cloths kicking around. Will give that a try, it certainly can't do any harm

Blackie

Forum GOD!
I used Birchwood Casey 'Tru Oil' on mine right from new.
Did 2 coats. Looked great. It will seal the pores of the bark/cork handle, and stop the soap from penetrating in.
I found that I didn't really like the Rocca R95 though, and have since sold it.
The new owner is happy with the Rocca, and the slight sheen to the handle that the Tru Oil gives.
https://www.amazon.com/Tru-Oil-Stock-Finish-State-Apply/dp/B002JD3J2M

Last edited:

UKRob

Forum GOD!
If your handle is showing signs of wear, cleaning with a high grit paper - say 800 and above - followed by a couple of applications of finishing oil will bring it back to looking new. The benefit of Liberon is that it contains a hardener so leaving about 6 hours between coats allows it to cure properly and starts to build a shield but without becoming tacky to the feel. I prefer to use Renaissance wax afterwards - although this is maybe a bit belt and bracers.

@sev-8 If you don’t want to get the materials, send the handle to me and I’ll restore it then polish it to a sheen finish.

sev-8

Forum GOD!
+1 on this. Great wax. Another thing would be to use Liberon Finishing Oil. It’s good stuff and will wear or fade naturally without peeling, ready for another periodic coat. It’s what I use on my hand-carved brushes and was recommended by @UKRob who in turn, was given the nod by the late Bill Jack of Le Tuft brushes. Good enough for those two gents - more than good enough for me. I’d rather have a good oil that offers protection with a gentle, enhancing glow and satin sheen without being overly glossy. A coating that doesn’t peel or chip but won’t last forever so it can be reapplied without needing stripping or refinishing. I wouldn’t be without it but you may think differently.
If your handle is showing signs of wear, cleaning with a high grit paper - say 800 and above - followed by a couple of applications of finishing oil will bring it back to looking new. The benefit of Liberon is that it contains a hardener so leaving about 6 hours between coats allows it to cure properly and starts to build a shield but without becoming tacky to the feel. I prefer to use Renaissance wax afterwards - although this is maybe a bit belt and bracers.

@sev-8 If you don’t want to get the materials, send the handle to me and I’ll restore it then polish it to a sheen finish.
Oh, that looks interesting and probably the type of finish I'm looking for, more matt/satin/natural. I know this'll be a difficult question to answer, how often would I need to reapply the Liberon Finishing Oil? Would help me decide if I buy a bottle myself or take @UKRob up on his very generous offer.

The handle isn't looking worn, it's fairly lightly used. It is just a build up of soap scum like any razor will get, so I hope there won't be any need for fine sandpaper.

UKRob

Forum GOD!
@sev-8 why not post a couple of pictures - that would help to decide what’s needed. Regarding your question as to how often to re-apply, I’d say no more than once a year - but every six months would keep it in tip-top condition with just a very light coating and polish. The thing about Liberon type oils is that you can tell when enough is enough as it stays on the surface - but can be wiped off with a clean cloth and then buffed. I’ve never seen Liberon on sale in the DIY stores so Amazon is where I get it from.

sev-8

Forum GOD!
Is this clear enough? The closest part of the handle is the position that my thumb or finger normally sits in and lower down the handle looks lighter and I'm assuming that's soap

Edit: It's definitely soap. Can scrape it off with my nail

PXL_20211016_103216070_small.jpg

Last edited:

UKRob

Forum GOD!
Well that doesn’t look so bad but if the discoloured part doesn’t clean up I’d be tempted to use an abrasive paper to achieve an even colour before applying a finishing oil.

sev-8

Forum GOD!
Well that doesn’t look so bad but if the discoloured part doesn’t clean up I’d be tempted to use an abrasive paper to achieve an even colour before applying a finishing oil.
Yeah, I don't keep my razors sparkling, on the other hand they do get a bit of TLC so don't look awful. The difference between the soapy and clean parts of the handle are becoming noticeable and that's why I asked the question.

I don't use the razor or handle loads, maybe 1 month of shaves so far this year, so not using it will help keep it clean too :)