Muhle R41 and blade choices

Chibbs11

Veteran
Hi all
just pulled the trigger on an R41, which is to be used for those times when I have quite a few days growth.

I've not had a really "aggressive" DE before and was wondering what difference blade choice will make to the overall aggressiveness and feel of the shave. ie. If I put a Derby in it compared with a Feather?

What are your favourite blade choices for "aggressive" DE's and why?

Thanks in advance :)

D

Deleted member 1881

I have studied the beast more than any other razor I own.

I find that for your purpose the choice is not a dull blade to avoid dragging and catching your skin. This beast bites a lot if you lose the angle.

I would suggest the Nacet, very light pressure and pay attention or you gonna pay for it.

Another blade is the Lord Platinum. Don't ask me why.

S

Steve Bowles

I've been dealing with the 'Widow Maker' for over three and a half years. I've yet to find a comfortable blade. It all comes down to angle. If you get the angle right, the blade is not an issue. Most of the time, I don't get the angle right. :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:

Chibbs11

Veteran
Thanks for your replies, I’ll let you know how I get on. I think I’ll try a Rubie for my first shave.
I’m pretty happy using straights so hopefully my angle control isn’t too bad. Though that sound remarkably like “famous last words”!! 😀

les24preludes

Forum GOD!
I'm a longtime R41 user. First off, get a decent handle. Decent diameter and 60-70g. Standard M5.

I alternate Nacets, GSB and Astra SP, prefer them in that order (of sharpness).

Don't even think of "mild" blades. You want SHARP! As above, you want efficient cutting without any tugging.

Frankly, I have no idea of "angle". I just shave intuitively and never had a problem. I think the secret is low pressure but a very positive stroke. No fear - that'll just confuse your hand movements.

N0ggie

Forum GOD!
A couple of weeks ago was the last time I used my R41. Had about 3 days growth and used a nacet in there. Two pass shave and a light pickup, perfect! I was very pleased as I hadn't touched it for a few months.

(Had to edit as it was a nacet not a personna as I first said)

A few days later I thought I had a great shave last time & would use it again. Same setup, (evening shave this time) two passes and a pickup but didn't really take as much time or with the same concentration as the last one and got the worst razor burn I have had for a while. Sat there at home, face lit up, feeding my face aftershave balm all evening. It had calmed by the morning but I realised the R41 is not your friend, it smiles in your face while planning to stab you in the back.

I usually have no problems with it at all and thought I knew it well as I have used it many times with zero problems. I was wrong as I painfully found out. I will from now on take more care when I break this one out again.

I use no pressure and try to maintain a confident, certain speed on the cutting stroke as if it is too slow then it digs in. I still love it though, a good shave with the R41 feels good!

Looking forward to seeing what you think. 👍

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1881

A couple of weeks ago was the last time I used my R41. Had about 3 days growth and used a personna platinum in there. Two pass shave and a light pickup, perfect! I was very pleased as I hadn't touched it for a few months.

A few days later I thought I had a great shave last time & would use it again. Same setup, (evening shave this time) two passes and a pickup but didn't really take as much time or with the same concentration as the last one and got the worst razor burn I have had for a while. Sat there at home, face lit up, feeding my face aftershave balm all evening. It had calmed by the morning but I realised the R41 is not your friend, it smiles in your face while planning to stab you in the back.

I usually have no problems with it at all and thought I knew it well as I have used it many times with zero problems. I was wrong as I painfully found out. I will from now on take more care when I break this one out again.

I use no pressure and try to maintain a confident, certain speed on the cutting stroke as if it is too slow then it digs in. I still love it though, a good shave with the R41 feels good!

Looking forward to seeing what you think. 👍
R41 is sheepface wolf. The exposure is little, there is no blade gap but it bites. How did it feel on the ATG pass?

WildVieLong

Forum GOD!
Don't even think of "mild" blades. You want SHARP! As above, you want efficient cutting without any tugging.
I have not used the R41, so grain of salt, but I know that it does not clamp blades tightly and I believe razors that don't are more finicky about blades. A sharper blade will cut easier and not get as much pressure on it from the hair making it's lack of firm clamping less problematic. That is my perception of what people are experiencing with this razor and different blades. I have a Schone which is really a Fatip which is basically a tightly clamped R41. Blade selection in the Schone is an after thought. Not much difference between blades, just pick one and shave, they all work great. I really think I might spring for a Joris/Plisson some day.