Most influential guitarists.

Francorelli

Forum fella
One for all the guitarists and music fans here. Who do you consider to be the most influential guitarists of all time?

I'm not asking for a 'who are your favourites' list, as there are countless tremendously talented and much-loved guitarists out there. Specifically, who do you think had the strongest impact and influence in their chosen field?

My own musical taste is wide-ranging, but I'll begin with a couple from the heavier side of things.

Tony Iommi: Heavy Metal would not exist without him.

Eddie Van Halen: Changed not only how heavy rock guitar was played, but the actual guitars that were used.

DamianJ

Forum GOD!
I'd agree with Iommi. I think Hendrix has had a massive influence too. Not just on blues but just getting people to pick up a guitar.

You could say that the three kings of blues also had a massive influence. A lot of blues influenced rock which in turn influenced metal etc

Nico1970

Forum GOD!
Rory Gallagher
Jimi Hendrix
Jimmy Page

Jimi was once asked in an interview what did it feel like to be the best guitar player in the world. He replied - I dunno, ask Rory Gallagher...

Nick_S

Forum GOD!
Influential, it's hard (if not impossible) to not look back at the early jazz and blues guys, like Charlie Christian and Robert Johnson. They spawned more than their fair share of 'imitators'. They went on to give rise to the like of Keith Richards (when you skip a few generations), Jimi Hendrix (who took blues rock to a whole new level).

On an entirely different musical tangent, you can't ignore Joe Satriani. He's the guy who taught future guitar heroes such as Steve Vai and Kirk Hammett. His incredible style fuses multiple genres, and he can truly make a guitar sing, cry, scream and more.

My personal influences are Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton. The way those guys take a guitar and convey so much into their music speaks volumes. The subtle nuances, the incredible phrasing and little quirks make them incredibly influential.

Nick_S

Forum GOD!
Yes! And don't forget B.B. King too.

Robert Johnson basically invented blues guitar ... the rest is history :wink:
Yep, BB comes in there for sure :) His sparse playing of only the necessary notes, with that distinctive finger vibrato make him so easy to spot. I picked up his vibrato style very quickly.

Francorelli

Forum fella
Hendrix was a true pioneer. His imagination and audacity were astonishing.

I can't think of any guitarist who so fearlessly exploited the sonic possibilities of the electric guitar. Voodoo Child (Slight Return) was recorded 50 years ago and it still sounds like an alien decided to drop in and blow our minds.

Last edited: