Model building

Discussion in 'Recreation, Hobbies & Interests' started by Thug, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Thug

Thug Forum GOD!

Since my childhood, I've always enjoyed building models, be it planes, ships and sailing boats.

Anyways, my kids bought me this UGears mechanical Steam Locomotive with Tender which I finished building last night.

I also have their Combine Harvester and I'm thinking that the next one shall either be the Fire Truck or the Tanker.

Anyone else enjoy model building?

train.jpg

R181, Rowlers, wazza and 9 others like this.
  2. MPH

MPH Forum GOD!

I used to enjoy making airfix models as a kid, and raced radio controlled cars for many years, but that's all gone now..... Too busy with 3 children and a business now. :-(

I recall having the problem of space... The more you build the less space you have, but you don't want to throw them away, and noone else would want them! @Thug ... How many models do you have made, and what do you do with them all????

Thug likes this.
  3. Nishy

Nishy Forum GOD! Staff Member

Yep absolutely love making models. Mainly remote control cars and boats. Used to make lots of cars and planes in my youth. Still have a few around.

Thug likes this.
  4. Thug

Thug Forum GOD!

I've only made one other UGears model but do have a couple of cheap other wooden models lying around. My bookshelf in the lounge has now run out of space but I could always re-purpose my daughters bedroom, if the need arose.:D

5. Rufusdog

Rufusdog Forum GOD!

I was deeply into building model aeroplanes in my youth; the type made with balsa wood and tissue paper. They were mostly gliders, but I did make one or two motorized, free-flight models. I was fortunate in that the boarding school I attended had an active modellers club which occupied a large facility equipped with every tool, etc. needed to make whatever one was making. Also, several of the senior boys were very skilled modellers (I wasn’t one) who willingly shared their knowledge and skills with us lesser lads.

Thug likes this.
  6. Conservator

Conservator Veteran

A few years ago, I was big into making model tall sailing ships. Did it for a few years but when I started to travel on business gave up on them. Plus, my second wife did not like them (she called them dust collectors) and "accidentally" broke the masts on one ship that took me months to build.

Thug likes this.
  7. Thug

Thug Forum GOD!

Those models ships, especially the old galleons take forever and day to build. I had a couple of ones that I started but never got round to finishing them off and after I got divorced, they got "claimed" by my ex. :(

Conservator likes this.
  8. wazza

wazza a dog got personality

I used to build Airfix planes. Loved it. In my later years I’ve built a couple, for old times sake but not for a good few years now. Last week there were Airfix models in Aldi for a fiver, so I picked up a Spitfire which I plan to build and put in my sons room. He loves looking at planes, ever since we went to an air show in the summer. We saw a Spitfire there too, as well as a Lancashire Bomber, which has always been a dream of mine to see.

Thug likes this.
  9. Conservator

Conservator Veteran

I was fortunate in that I worked in downtown Manhattan at a time when there was a museum at the Seaport. There were some older men who were expert modelers. Often, during lunch time I would wander down to talk to them and watch them build their ships. The museum sold some quality kits with some of the ships that were on display at the dock. I would take photos of parts of those ships to help in the construction. Plus, the old timers were always there to answer some questions.

Unfortunately, the Seaport was rebuilt as a shopping-restaurant plaza and the museum and model shop became history.

Thug likes this.
  10. Thug

Thug Forum GOD!

I think that my next model will be the truck and then later on I'll add the 2 additions which are the tanker body and the fire ladder.

UGM_11_Ugears_3_-max-1000_530x.jpg

ugears-Additions-for-Truck-1-max-1000_530x.jpg

11. Electrif

Electrif Forum GOD!

One of my sons gave me a Metal Earth model kit of the Millennium Falcon result seen in my SOTD on 4th May
    [​IMG]
    It was great to build albeit very fiddly due to the small size and my ageing eyesight.
    I'm currently building the Imperial Shuttle.
    [​IMG]
    Link:
    https://www.metalearth.com

Rowlers, N_Architect, pimple8 and 3 others like this.
  12. Holyzeus

Holyzeus Quack Quack

Just checked that site out, kinda cool albeit very small

13. Thug

Thug Forum GOD!

Very nice. I must have a look at the site.

14. Paper Plane

Paper Plane Senior Member

I've been a railway modeller since 1982 and built over a dozen layouts, all of which have been exhibited. Some have even featured in model railway magazines. Also been involved in club layouts. All my layouts have been diesel based, whether UK, USA or German prototype.

Currently I am exhibiting an American HO scale layout called Duncan's Mine 2, which was featured in the March 2018 edition of Continental Modeller. I also have a BR layout that is built in modules in boxfiles. (Yes, the ones used in offices! :)) Slowly under way is a new BR layout being built on an A2 noticeboard. It will run in two periods, 1980s and 2010s.

Recently I have gone back to building 1/24 & 1/25 scale car kits, hot rods and short oval racers, reviving an interest from my long lost youth!

steve

Rowlers and Thug like this.
  15. Thug

Thug Forum GOD!

Would be great to see some photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice