Miswak (Salvadora persica) - Natures Toothbrush - Revive A Tradition

• Thread starter Deleted member 2936
  • Start date

HereticHermit

Forum GOD!
wow thats so cool, how common would you say using miswak is in india?

where can you get these other sticks like you mentioned from?

can you tell us more about the issues with dabur please?
Miswak is commonly found around Neem and Acacia trees so I can't say if there is any preference unless as you mentioned; miswak is sought by Muslims as a preference.
I just happen to google for datun sticks here https://www.amazon.in/s?k=datun+sticks&ref=nb_sb_noss
Dabur have pretty shady QC and their samples almost all fail in lab tests if done honestly. As recent as 15 days back they were found to using sugar syrup from china which can hoodwick indian standard testing. Couple years ago, there were traces of steroids in Chyawanprash.

D

Deleted member 2936

Miswak is commonly found around Neem and Acacia trees so I can't say if there is any preference unless as you mentioned; miswak is sought by Muslims as a preference.
I just happen to google for datun sticks here https://www.amazon.in/s?k=datun+sticks&ref=nb_sb_noss
Dabur have pretty shady QC and their samples almost all fail in lab tests if done honestly. As recent as 15 days back they were found to using sugar syrup from china which can hoodwick indian standard testing. Couple years ago, there were traces of steroids in Chyawanprash.
yea us muslims have it because its a 'sunnah' and sunnah is something our Prophet Muhammad (may peace be upon him) did or said

when we do ablution (washing ourselves before prayers) we are told by the Prophet Muhammad (may peace be upon him) about extra rewards that will be gained by using it whilst doing ablution below is the reference for this hadith (posting this as some of you might find it interesting :))

'The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: Were it not for the fact that I did not want to make things too hard for my ummah (followers), I would have commanded them to use the siwaak at every time of prayer. According to another report he said: at every time of making wudoo (ablution) as already stated above.

(Reported by Muslim (Hadith Collection), 1/220).'

read more on this link if you fancy reading about the authentic ways the Prophet Muhammad (may peace be upon him) used the Miswak (Siwak) :)

wow thats crazy the dabur struff you mentioned, was this like on the news or just word of mouth?

i always thought dabur was as good and as big as vatika because i use vatika hair oils for my beard, thats the only reason why i know of dabur tbh

i'll check out the amazon link thanks

btw what does datun mean and stand for? just neem twig or something i assume?

D

Deleted member 2936

@HereticHermit ive found the datun sticks on ebay uk but they come from india but that shouldnt be a problem,
im going to try them out hopefully, whats the name of the other ones so i can try to get a hold of them too? many thanks mate :)

HereticHermit

Forum GOD!
@HereticHermit ive found the datun sticks on ebay uk but they come from india but that shouldnt be a problem,
im going to try them out hopefully, whats the name of the other ones so i can try to get a hold of them too? many thanks mate :)
Datun = tooth brush sticks.
You can order Neem or Babool/Acacia, Pomegranate sticks work too. If they reah you too dry. A dip in glass of water for couple hours should make them usable.
some people also use strips of walnut tree bark but you might end up with red lips with colour akin to lipstick.

D

Deleted member 2936

Datun = tooth brush sticks.
You can order Neem or Babool/Acacia, Pomegranate sticks too. If they reah you too dry. A dip in glass of water for couple hours should make them usable.
some people also use strips of walnut tree bark but you might end up with red lips with colour akin to lipstick.
I'll order some many thanks for sharing your wisdom and knowledge its most appreciated! 👍

D

Deleted member 2936

Comparative Effectiveness of Chewing Stick and Toothbrush: A Randomized Clinical Trial

Miswak: A periodontist's perspective

Comparison of Miswak with Modern Toothbrushes and Toothpastes

this is amazing information from the third link, i'll post it here so anyone can read hopefully

History of Tooth Cleaning
ORIGINDATELITERATURE
BABYLON/EGYPTIAN3500-3000 BCBabylonians and Egyptians clean their teeth with the frayed ends of twigs
GREEK800-146 BCGreeks use toothpicks (karphos) to clean meal residue from teeth
ROMAN753-27 BCRomans use toothpicks from mastic tree to clean teeth
CHINA1600 BCChinese use aromatic tree twigs to chew on and give them fresh breath
ARAB NATIONS6TH -7TH CENTURYProphet Mohammad set rules and regulations for tooth cleansing, narrating about indications, contradictions, and the method to clean teeth
CHINA15TH CENTURYChinese invent the toothbrush using hog hairs as bristles and bamboo or bone as the handle
18-19th CENTURYMass production of toothbrushes and export to European and American markets
USA1938Nylon toothbrush created
SWITZERLAND1939Prototype of the first electric
toothbrush in Switzerland by
Dr. Phillippe- Guy Woogin, though not
released until 1954.

D

Deleted member 2936

the composition of the miswak is truly amazing (below)

Comparison of Miswak with Modern Toothbrushes and Toothpastes

Composition of Chewing Sticks Active Ingredients of Salvadora Persica

Pharmacological Properties of Miswak
SilicaIt acts as an abrasive material to remove plaque and stains from teeth. Researchers at the University of Birmingham found that silica could be used in restorative treatment of sensitive teeth and preventing the onset of tooth decay. Silica has bone-building and bone-protecting properties; improves bone density and bone flexibility; strengthens joints, tendons, ligaments, and connective tissues; and hence protects enamel and dentin from unbearable pressure.
Tannins (Tannic acid)These have also been reported to exert many physiological effects, such as accelerating blood clotting. They reduce clinically detectable gingivitis as well as Candida albicans counts, plaque, and bleeding. They also reduce blood pressure, decrease the serum lipid level, produce liver necrosis, and modulate immune responses. They act as a universal antidote, with the potency to absorb poison.
ResinResin boosts immunity, increases bone strength, prevents bad breath, provides proactive action against dental caries, t prevents anemia, regulates blood pressure, and is helpful to reduce weight.
Alkaloids (Salvadorinc)It provides defense against bacteria, fungi, and viruses, and act as an anticancerous, antidepressive, antihypertensive agent. It also stimulates gingiva.
Essential oilIt possesses an aroma that stimulates the flow of saliva, hence increasing antibacterial action.
SulfurIt is essential for strong connective tissue, bones, teeth, skin, hair, and muscles. The natural mineral also helps us metabolize and absorb fat while aiding in blood sugar management. It has bactericidal effects on teeth.
Vitamin CIt helps ward off infections. It helps in healing tissue repair, reduces bleeding gums, protects from heart attack, and is anti-cancerous.
Sodium bicarbonateIt acts as a mild abrasive and can be used as dentrifice. It removes germs from sticking on teeth, gums, and tongue, and helps in the whitening of teeth.
CalciumIt inhibits demineralization and induces remineralization of enamel.
FluorideIt provides anti-cariogenic activity and remineralizes enamel.
ChlorideIt inhibits the formation of calculus.
N-benzyl 2-phenylaceamideIt inhibits human collagen-induced platelet aggregation against E.coli.
Benzyl isothiocynateIt acts as a chemo-preventive agent, preventing cariogenic and genotoxic compounds.
TrimethylamideIt has gum-stimulating effects.
FlavonoidsNatural sources of medicine, and said to be antibacterial and anti-inflammatory, with antioxidant properties, and stimulating the immune system. They bound and seal viruses, stimulating white blood cells and lymphocytes and producing interferon, therefore the stimulating immune system. They disrupt the formation of plaque and thereby prevent yellowing of teeth.
SaponinsSaponins boost immunity, are said to be anticarcinogenic, decrease blood lipids, and improve glucose response.
SterolsSterols are taken by mouth to lower cholesterol levels and help prevent heart disease and heart attacks. Plant sterols are also used for some cancers such as stomach cancer, colon cancer, and rectal cancer. Plant sterols are also used for weight loss.

D

Deleted member 2936

since last night its been the first time ive been using the olive miswak,
let me just say the normal miswak the peelu stick i dont find bitter at all i actually dont really find any sort of taste from it,
but let me tell you this olive miswak has a serious taste to it and it is very bitter but the bristles are amazing,
the olive miswak doesnt come in the medium and thick sizes it just comes in thin sizes,
anyways if you can get a hold of some i'd recommend and try it :)

D

Deleted member 2936

been using the zaytoon (olive) miswaks since my last posts daily and i love it,
its really good and i also love the original peelu one