Merker Futur 700 - any thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Shaving' started by Beau Nidle, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Beau Nidle

Beau Nidle Well-Known Member

Hi... I've been using a Jagen David razor since January with Wilkinson Sword soap and blades. I need to replenish supplies so I've ordered a better soap (Proraso) and a sample pack of (probably better) blades. I'm not entirely happy with the razor and am considering an upgrade.

I can get a new Merker Futur 700 for 21 pre-brexit pounds and would ask experienced members if this is a decent upgrade? I know you can spend hundreds but I don't want to spend silly money on a razor, I was just hoping to get something a level or two above the razor I currently use.

Thanks in advance for help.

Rob

Missoni likes this.
  2. halvor

halvor Esquire

The Futur is a lovely and smooth razor. Some find it aggressive even on lower settings, some find it bulky and thus cumbersome under the nose. Most therefore recommend the Progress before the Futur, but I have never tried the former and can’t compare. I got the Futur as my third razor, I believe, and had no issues with it being difficult to master.

However, you may as well go for a Futur copy from China, available on ebay and AliExpress. Or, in fact, let me have you address and I’ll send you one!

Rowlers and Missoni like this.
  3. halvor

halvor Esquire

4. Dr Watson

Dr Watson Forum GOD!

The Futur seems to be something of a Marmite razor, personally I hate it but know many use one and enjoy it... Maybe best to try a Q-Shave / Ming-Shi clone beforehand? That said, for £21 you can try it and if it doesnt suit you I doubt you'll lose anything on it.

The 37c would be infinitely preferable (for me) but YMMV :)

5. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Well-Known Member

I had a Progress for a while, Qshave and Mingshi Futur clones, and just had a Genuine Futur this week.

Progress is a better all around razor to use, with its maneuverability and slimmer head design. The blade is held reasonably well in the Progress and you can use it from mild to aggressive.

Futur is a bit bulkier, the head is wider, the handle is longer and heavier. It can work under the nose, but you'll need to attack at different angles to clean your whiskers completely. The blade is louder because of the loose grip in the head. Therefore, all settings give some blade feel and slight chatter.

The Futur Clones are almost similar to the real deal. However, usually one side of the blade sits on some setting and the other side 1-2 clicks higher. The blades left to right posture may also be uneven between samples. I ended up retiring them all. Everytime I insert a blade into a clone, I found myself fiddling with the blade exposure and playing with the settings between sides.

I think Progress is a better buy compared to Futur. If you don't strictly want to keep the brand Merkur, Parker Variant is also another good, adjustable option.

SM-N950F cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

6. chris.hale

chris.hale Legendary Member

Where from? I’m certain that the Futur goes for at least twice that.

7. Beau Nidle

Beau Nidle Well-Known Member

8. Cristobal

Cristobal Guru

I think I read something about this seller on another forum. However, it seems too good to be true and you might certainly be ending with a Chinese Futur clone (which is not a bad razor at all, but costs a quarter of the price displayed in this ad).

9. chris.hale

chris.hale Legendary Member

I’ve checked with three reputable sellers and they all have the Futur for £50 - £55. It’s possible that someone may have acquired some that they’re selling off cheap but... when it’s half the going rate it seems too good to be true. Use caution, I have one of the Chinese Futur clones and it is a good razor but I paid about a fiver for it.

Rowlers likes this.
  10. Missoni

Missoni Fellow Traveller

...it is worth taking @halvor up on his kind offer, you can at least ascertain if the head size and shave suit. +1 on the Merkur Progress, it is a great shaver and gets much love for good reason...

11. Batch300

Batch300 Extraordinarily Uncomplicated

Seller is "little miss princess". All the feedback is purchases (never sold anything). Also, sold 19 razors but no recent feedback from buyers.

Could be good practice with the eBay money back guarantee promise.

12. Ventriss

Ventriss Active Member

saw 2 neg feedback for selling clones advertised as futur

13. culcreuch

culcreuch Forum GOD!

I have 2 clones and a real futur. To be honest....apart from materials I have found little difference.....a top razor as far as I am concerned. If you fancy the Merkur to be honest I would try a clone first as a lot of people don't get on with the design.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice