Menthol. Buzzin. Say that again?

Discussion in 'General Shaving' started by Tommo, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Tommo

Tommo Fancy a trade?

Has anyone had ear issues after using a menthol soap/splash?

A month or so ago I used a highly mentholated soap and matching splash. Morning shave after a shower. About 20 minutes later I got a ringing in my left ear and slight hearing loss, slightly muffled. This lasted for roughly a week, no amount of ear drops, olive oil, decongestants or old wives remedies could alleviate it. It was really irritating and a tad painful.

This morning I showered and braved using the same soap and splash again. One pass and a small splash. This time, shortly after I noticed an uncomfortable feeling in my right ear, no ringing or hearing loss, just mild discomfort. It's still there now 12 hours later.

Has anyone had a similar experience or is it all in my head and shear coincidence?

2. Nishy

Nishy Forum GOD! Staff Member

Menthol is able to quickly penetrate skin layers. It also acts as a very effective carrier of some compounds. So it could be a case of another ingredient causing irritation, enhanced by the menthol.

Much debate on menthol itself acting as an irritant, but it has also been scientifically proven (many sources on Google) that menthol is an anti irritant. Many topical analgesic products contain menthol.

Tommo likes this.
  3. Mr Bigmem

Mr Bigmem Forum GOD!

:eek: thats a messed up reaction to an ingredient. Most i've got is stinging and watery eyes. That being said the ear nose and eyes do share common blood vessels and as Nish said any absorbed by the eye or nasal membrane could effect the inner ear.

Tommo likes this.
  4. Tommo

Tommo Fancy a trade?

Thanks for the input. It was B&M actique which caused the reaction. I've got P&B Denali, snake bite splash and stirling MITA soap and balm which I've used regularly before without issue. So maybe its the menthol level affecting me or another ingredient being enhanced by the menthol. I'm put off using it again which is a shame as it's a great soap but atleast I've plenty of menthol which I can (hopefully) still use and I've not become too sensitive to it.

5. Mr Bigmem

Mr Bigmem Forum GOD!

Wow how cold is the B&M actique?

Tommo likes this.
  6. Rowlers

Rowlers Massive Member Staff Member

Absolutely face freezing. I couldn't finish a shave with it!

Tommo likes this.
  7. Tommo

Tommo Fancy a trade?

Cold enough to make you deaf for a week!!!!

Grarea and Rowlers like this.
  8. Dr Watson

Dr Watson The Other James

Sounds hazardous :thumbsdown:

...I wonder if there's more to it why these US artisans dont apply for EU certification, surely they'd like to expand? Perhaps its not the so-called red tape but in fact they know their product wouldn't pass :unsure:

I'm not saying its so, just wondering out loud.

Tommo and Rowlers like this.
  9. Mr Bigmem

Mr Bigmem Forum GOD!

I'm feeling the urge to torture myself lol. I gotta try this soap. I've used Cryogen and Denali soaps I even recall trying something called Yeti Snot that was meant to be the coldest. All were cold but nothing that i'd have to stop my shave for.

Tommo likes this.
  10. HMan

HMan Veteran

Too much menthol can cause issues, I love the stuff, but in moderation.

Sorry to hear about that reaction though, doesn't sound fun at all.

Tommo likes this.
  11. Nishy

Nishy Forum GOD! Staff Member

Exceptionally cold and to my nose quite a raw peppermint/menthol tone. Artique caused my nose and eyes to run which wasn't pleasant. The scent wasn't too my liking either. Denali is progressively cold, artique (apologies for spelling) is cold from the start.

Tommo likes this.
  12. Grarea

Grarea Forum GOD!

Boy this sounds terrible.
    I don't understand why people like menthol.
    I can't stand the stuff.

Tommo likes this.
  13. Wayne

Wayne Forum Sod

I love the OSP menthol, It’s just right, kicks while not freezing yer face off.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  14. Optometrist

Optometrist Forum GOD!

I loved Arctique when it was available. One of only two soaps I've ever finished. Hope it returns.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice