MdC tres bien

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
In praise of MdC.

I now own all three LE versions; Argumes (citrus), 'Vetyver' and Rose. Contrary to my own philosophy, from a few years back, paying £50ish for a shaving soap was bordering on insanity. I know fully appreciate the cost:quality:longevity argument. Evidentially I'm happy to pay this sum for this brand of soap, but still feel the price is relatively high (especially with the exclusion of glass jars).

Compared to the standard options (Fougere, Original and Unscented) the LE soaps are slightly softer. I don't think this is intentional, IMO purely curing time. Being softer it is easier for the brush to pick up the soap. I should verify that when I state 'softer' this does not suggest a putty texture but soft enough to make an impression when pressed. So being softer it is easier to load a brush (especially badger) and subsequently quicker to lather. As a rough visual guide my fougere used approx 6 times has no indication of use. The Vetyver after 6 uses had a small central impression. I will upload pictures at some point.

I absolutely adore the Vetyver option, with Rose coming in at a close second. The beauty of MdC apart from the drier post shave, which I prefer, is the complexity of scent. The bouquet is always understated, not in your face, yet it develops throughout the shave and lingers after. No heavy face feel or over oily residue is left.

Rose and Vetyver have to my nose a similar base, with the latter being slightly spicier and again IMO having a slight rose tone. 'Vetyver' as mentioned before is a clean note, no muddy or earthy tones. Lavender and the vetiver root itself add a depth, incorporating spiced notes. Heather and rose is what I describe as base notes, to smoothen and warm the bouquet. Argumes had me prepping my BST post mentally on opening. On lathering the sweet opal fruit/starburst scent is transformed to a sour lemon oil and rounded off with a citronella-bergamot-lavender mix. It provides that gorgeous zesty fresh sour lemon fragrance after the shave too. Very light on the face and not as drying as other citrus based soaps. Rose has a garden or freshly cut flower profile, the green stem is also apparent. No sickly sweet rose syrup or Kewra water esq scent. Delightful.

plastic_paddy

Nice constructive review, tempted to pull the trigger on the Rose if the smell is that natural.

Only ever used the Original variant but the post shave conditioning is second to none in my opinion.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Nice constructive review, tempted to pull the trigger on the Rose if the smell is that natural.

Only ever used the Original variant but the post shave conditioning is second to none in my opinion.
I am yet to try Eufros Rose, which has many excellent reviews. However from the 4 other rose flavoured soaps I've tried, MdC definitely is my favourite. Interestingly it wasn't as soft as the vetiver that I bought on the first release or the Argumes that arrived this weekend. Maybe they had spares from the first batch.

Definitely as natural a rose scent that I've experienced. The vetiver has the same rose note but more subdued. So if looking at the two vetiver would be my suggestion.

plastic_paddy

I have historically found alot of Rose scented soaps very artificial to the nose.

I have used the JabonMan Rosas in the past which has probably been the most natural rose smell to my nose, combined with a super quality soap.

His Rose Bourbon is on my list "to try" list as is the Le Pere Lucien Rose Barber.

I will try and purchased the MdC Rose and I will let you know what i think when it arrives.

Last edited:

lastcoyote

Forum GOD!
Nice post Nishy.
I too adore the Vetyver. I was pleased to get a full jar this time round from MdC before they all sold out. I'm also still loving the Rose that I got back in December. I wouldn't be without their Fougere either. It's just nice to have the choice :happy:

halvor

a most elusive fish
For me rose and vetyver are too mdc..... like fougère and original. As soon you smell the soap you know IT's MDC.
I prefer original and fougere.....and I get my agrume Soon!
Though my experience is limited to the Fougere and Vetyver, I am inclined to agree. Moreover, where is the actual vetiver in the Vetyver? Frankly, the jar has been largely left on the shelf since acquisition. A few uses have on the other hand lowered the level significantly more than in your case, Avnish.

On the upside, it matches the colour theme of the shelf, with the ATG cream coloured bowl and the green tiles and Fougere jar. #SpousalApproval
IMG_4966.JPG

Last edited:

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Though my experience is limited to the Fougere and Vetyver, I am inclined to agree. Moreover, where is the actual vetiver in the Vetyver? Frankly, the jar has been largely left on the shelf since acquisition. A few uses have on the other hand lowered the level significantly more than in your case, Avnish.

(On the upside, it matches the colour theme of the shelf, with the ATG cream coloured bowl and the green tiles and Fougere jar. #SpousallyApproved. Will see if I can find a photo to prove.)
Hey Halvor, not sure about your puck, however my vetiver is definitely pungent, but as mentioned earlier it is neither earthy or overly spiced. It reminds me a lot of Guerlain Vetiver (without the soapy under belly). On the other end of the scale is Grandstaff vetiver, which is spicy, dirty vetiver root, with hints of clove. This comes across as being stronger, but I imagine the EO being cheaper as it's less refined.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I have been using the rose scented shaving soap for my last three shaves. Absolutely delightful. Not overpowering during the shave and enough body to linger after. It doesn't linger with a sweetened rose water tone at all. Instead fresh, green and natural.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
My last 6 shaves have been with the 'Vetyver' scented soap. I don't find any discernible difference between this and the rose LE (regarding performance). However I do find the Vetyver to be a softer consistency. Scent wise I find the two to be similar in profile and strength. Main difference being the peppery nature of Vetyver in comparison to Rose's green stem nature.

Grarea

Forum Plod
Well, this looks fun.
I have had one use of it, I am impressed already.
I got the unscented, but this stuff works doesn't it?
I am a convert.
It makes your shave better. (I don't know how, others explain it better than me)

I can also see the longevity argument as I hardly touched the soap with my brush and i had plenty.
It is as good and better than I had hoped.

Although it is unscented, it isn't an unpleasant smell.
Just smells 'clean'.