Maseto Shaving Group Buy- cancelled

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
As an FYI, I know of one person whose knot started shedding. He contacted the seller who immediately dispatched a replacement. Top notch service in my opinion.
So he dispatched a complete replacement brush when yours began shedding? Outstanding....
I am hovering over the BIN button!
(again!)

Looney12345

Forum GOD!
So he dispatched a complete replacement brush when yours began shedding? Outstanding....
I am hovering over the BIN button!
(again!)
No, not mine personally but a fellow wetshaver in FB not on the forums I believe, but yes a complete replacement brush was dispatched. I think it's easier for him to do that on the rare occasion it happens than risk negative feedback. He obviously produces the brushes cheaply but they can't have a huge mark up, enough for him to not have to worry about sending out a free replacement brush however!

bakerbarber

Forum GOD!
I bought a standalone knot. Have been using it for the entire week. It's fantastic. I was wrong about speculating that they were Frank Shaving knots. I also got some knots from him in at the same time. Same size. Totally different. Also nice but the Maseto is different. Different colored hair and glue plug.

I have a 24mm Maseto with the barber handle. Also have the 30mm. Both in two band.

The loose 24mm two band knot I got is larger and fuller than the knot in the barber handle. Same hair. Slight red hue above the dark band. White tips. Excellent packaging and slow arrival to me in the US from China.

If group buy brush can be in a unique handle or material I'm not going to sit on the sidelines. The brushes are great and the knot I received is impressive. I have to say that I think the brushes could be even nicer if they used less adhesive in their handles. The two complete brushes I have I can see glue around the rim of the handle. Very little. If I pinch the knot there the hairs around the rim are stuck to the inside of the hole. When I set a knot in a handle at home I believe less is more. I use two part epoxy to set a knot I am sure I want to never come out of a handle. I get the impression after having had so many different brushes that some other type of glue is being used for setting knots in brushes being made in China. Maseto is by far the best of any brush I have from China directly but it's still something that I think can Improved on. Less adhesive and a higher quality adhesive could possibly take these to the next level.

The other difference in the loose knot versus the assembled brush I noticed is the free loft. Setting the loose knot at 52mm loft into a 25mm socket I have zero glue bump. Where the 24mm barber handle brush is a similar loft it definitely has a glue bump. I am only guessing, but I think it's a shorter knot in a shallower socket. The hair is the same but the glue bump is apparent. I had to drill the handle I set the loose knot into because it is exceptionally tall. It was around 65mm tall. Other vendors two band knots are closer to 60.

Finally, and I know this is a gear switch, I wanted to ask if they will engrave the handles. The Maseto logo doesn't seem particularly impressive and for a group buy I'd love to see something unique even if it's just the year.

Thanks!

Kooshman7

Veteran
As long as I like what I see, I'm game for trying one. I've held out on this long from just buying a standard fare brush, so a little more won't hurt. :)

Wayne

Forum Sod
As always Nishy I bow to your experience and superior product knowledge but I do not think Nick is selling a premium product cheaply. I think he is selling a great product priced realistically as opposed to others that sell their products as premium with overblown price tags attached. If I had never owned a premium brush and had found the Maseto first I doubt I could have justified the higher price tag to myself. And I doubt someone like yourself would own four or more and ask for a group buy if you didn't believe they were fantastic for the price.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I bought a standalone knot. Have been using it for the entire week. It's fantastic. I was wrong about speculating that they were Frank Shaving knots. I also got some knots from him in at the same time. Same size. Totally different. Also nice but the Maseto is different. Different colored hair and glue plug.

I have a 24mm Maseto with the barber handle. Also have the 30mm. Both in two band.

The loose 24mm two band knot I got is larger and fuller than the knot in the barber handle. Same hair. Slight red hue above the dark band. White tips. Excellent packaging and slow arrival to me in the US from China.

If group buy brush can be in a unique handle or material I'm not going to sit on the sidelines. The brushes are great and the knot I received is impressive. I have to say that I think the brushes could be even nicer if they used less adhesive in their handles. The two complete brushes I have I can see glue around the rim of the handle. Very little. If I pinch the knot there the hairs around the rim are stuck to the inside of the hole. When I set a knot in a handle at home I believe less is more. I use two part epoxy to set a knot I am sure I want to never come out of a handle. I get the impression after having had so many different brushes that some other type of glue is being used for setting knots in brushes being made in China. Maseto is by far the best of any brush I have from China directly but it's still something that I think can Improved on. Less adhesive and a higher quality adhesive could possibly take these to the next level.

The other difference in the loose knot versus the assembled brush I noticed is the free loft. Setting the loose knot at 52mm loft into a 25mm socket I have zero glue bump. Where the 24mm barber handle brush is a similar loft it definitely has a glue bump. I am only guessing, but I think it's a shorter knot in a shallower socket. The hair is the same but the glue bump is apparent. I had to drill the handle I set the loose knot into because it is exceptionally tall. It was around 65mm tall. Other vendors two band knots are closer to 60.

Finally, and I know this is a gear switch, I wanted to ask if they will engrave the handles. The Maseto logo doesn't seem particularly impressive and for a group buy I'd love to see something unique even if it's just the year.

Thanks!
Yep the beehive and polo style handle is what we're hoping to offer, something a little different to their chubby and barber or 400 style. Then again Nick may make a particular shape on request. Engraving has s also been promised.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
As always Nishy I bow to your experience and superior product knowledge but I do not think Nick is selling a premium product cheaply. I think he is selling a great product priced realistically as opposed to others that sell their products as premium with overblown price tags attached. If I had never owned a premium brush and had found the Maseto first I doubt I could have justified the higher price tag to myself. And I doubt someone like yourself would own four or more and ask for a group buy if you didn't believe they were fantastic for the price.
To be honest this could well be the case, I do not know the labour charge of other manufacturers, nor the cost of a badger hair tray. So it could well be an honest price. Very kind to of you to acknowledge my experience. But it really isn't as vast as others. It is obviously a case of YMMV but I could easily distinguish between a Shavemac unique 2 band and an MS, on the face and in hand. Is it worth the extra? I do love my Shavemac products, handle and knot so probably yes... but I still bought 4 :)
The slow communication is also a bit annoying, but he's a busy man, with a new baby.

Acer89

James
To be honest this could well be the case, I do not know the labour charge of other manufacturers, nor the cost of a badger hair tray. So it could well be an honest price. Very kind to of you to acknowledge my experience. But it really isn't as vast as others. It is obviously a case of YMMV but I could easily distinguish between a Shavemac unique 2 band and an MS, on the face and in hand. Is it worth the extra? I do love my Shavemac products, handle and knot so probably yes... but I still bought 4 :)
The slow communication is also a bit annoying, but he's a busy man, with a new baby.
Please do correct me if I'm wrong @Nishy but it appears to me you haven't yet tried a MS silvertip. @Nico1970 has acknowledged the MS Silvertip is a far superior knot than the 2-band and I agree 100% but as I mentioned in my previous post opinions will differ.

It was the silvertip I was comparing against the Unique 2-band. Nico's comments are HERE
"The silvertip knots are a noticeable step up from the finest in these brushes. I've got both types and the difference (silvertip - absolutely no scritch / scratch whatsoever and super soft) more than justifies the price premium."

You obviously love your Shavemac's but personally I don't ever see myself forking out that kind of dosh again especially given the quality and price of the MS offerings.

I'd like to think any group buy would be a special ATG bespoke commission of either a special handle or extra dense knot. Both would be ideal. I'm also mindful Nick is very busy with his newborn child. I do appreciate your efforts though :)

Last edited:

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Please do correct me if I'm wrong @Nishy but it appears to me you haven't yet tried a MS silvertip. @Nico1970 has acknowledged the MS Silvertip is a far superior knot than the 2-band and I agree 100% but as I mentioned in my previous post opinions will differ.

It was the silvertip I was comparing against the Unique 2-band. Nico's comments are HERE
"The silvertip knots are a noticeable step up from the finest in these brushes. I've got both types and the difference (silvertip - absolutely no scritch / scratch whatsoever and super soft) more than justifies the price premium."

You obviously love your Shavemac's but personally I don't ever see myself forking out that kind of dosh again especially given the quality and price of the MS offerings.

I'd would like to think any group buy would be a special ATG bespoke commission of either a special handle or extra dense knot. Both would be ideal. I'm also mindful Nick is very busy with his newborn child. I do appreciate your efforts though :)
What is the backbone like on the Silvertips though? I find them a little floppy (well the ones I've tried anyway); it would be a Finest I would go for without any further info to sway me otherwise...
(or depending on £££ buy both :laugh::laugh:)

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
That is also true James, I haven't tried a silvertip. I'm just comparing two bands to other two bands. Again to be honest I only own one silvertip 3 band knot now and it's a Shavemac
D01 so very different. I would like to use a high density MS 2 band silvertip that would be great, price depending obviously. I'm really not a fan of 3 band silvertip knots. I need a lot of backbone.

I would agree wholly on the unique offerings of an LE, but because it's my first dealings with this vendor, I opted for the safer group buy, which isn't a limited edition run thus reducing risk, which is relatively higher, given the varied uniformity.

Acer89

James
What is the backbone like on the Silvertips though? I find them a little floppy (well the ones I've tried anyway); it would be a Finest I would go for without any further info to sway me otherwise...
(or depending on £££ buy both :laugh::laugh:)
I have two MS 30mm and one 26mm silvertip. Comparing the density I'd be hard stretched to tell the difference between the MS and Shavemac unique 2-band. No doubt the Shavemac has the edge but only buy a smidgen and that smidgen certainly doesn't justify the huge price differential.

Oh and before the hardened Shavemac fans shoot me down in flames this is just my humble opinion. I bowl lather daily and for me the MS brushes will do just dandy!

Acer89

James
That is also true James, I haven't tried a silvertip. I'm just comparing two bands to other two bands. Again to be honest I only own one silvertip 3 band knot now and it's a Shavemac
D01 so very different. I would like to use a high density MS 2 band silvertip that would be great, price depending obviously. I'm really not a fan of 3 band silvertip knots. I need a lot of backbone.

I would agree wholly on the unique offerings of an LE, but because it's my first dealings with this vendor, I opted for the safer group buy, which isn't a limited edition run thus reducing risk, which is relatively higher, given the varied uniformity.
I totally agree. My D01 Shavemac knot could never be compared to the MS offerings but the Shavemac Unique 2-band certainly could.