Review Masamune Nodachi razor

Atxwatch

Forum GOD!
Oh dear, it isn't a personal argument but a debate as to what could cause drag; common on a forum. I'm simply putting an alternative argument to your opinion. Your posts haven't been deleted nor ignored, as everyone's opinion is valid. God, Messiah or forum runt.

If a newbie or otherwise hasn't been using the right pressure for example; moving to a sharper blade could result in a worse shave. That is all I'm considering. If I were to partially pull apart your argument, I don't agree that a razor can start with 100% drag; it wouldn't move on the face. I don't agree that a change to a Nacet would be worthwhile as 75% drag would still be largely uncomfortable. And I don't agree that after 20 or so uses the high wearing finish would be reduced the a polsihed comparison, reducing drag by approx 50%.

I'm happy to leave it at your opinion, but to be fair then please appreciate mine, based on fact.
I went ahead and deleted all my posts on the topic. I wouldn't want to confuse fellow shavers with my findings.

ajc347

Forum GOD!
Have you tried Gillette Silver Blues? They seem to work in every razor, nice compromise between sharpness and smoothness. Voskhods and Feathers seem to be on opposite sides of the smoothness / sharpness spectrum.
They’re not a blade I’ve got on that well with in the past with other razors, however, they’re definitely worth trying again in this razor. Thanks for the suggestion. 👍

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
Right, so just had a late night shave with the latest setup (Nodachi top cap, Masamune base plate and handle) paired with a fresh Nacet. Good shave and no perceptible irritation as yet but now I'm wondering if my lather is a bit too dry. I make mine similar to Cris at Another Cut Above, very voluminous and glossy. Second pass was wetter and felt smoother.

jimthecamera

Forum GOD!
Just shaved with the new tatara nodachi razor--sublime-superbly efficient-a one pass removes everything- did a 2 pass- but first pass had removed it all!!on a par with my favourite timeless razor-loaded it with a souplex blade (but am sure it would be the exact same with a feather one)-used the stirling sharp dressed man soap and splash -also superb soap as well -and a slightly leathery residual smell to it all-sorted for the next couple of days i guess-can highly recommend this razor which is a definite improvement on the first model -which itself - was a good razor also- but this newer one- knocks it into 3rd place or so-a definite keeper for sure-used it on the 0.90 open comb plate -so am guessing that the 0.65 closed comb will still be efficient- but less aggressive for sure

clint64

Forum GOD!
October 26, 2019
Tatara Nodachi
Gillette 7 O’clock Yellow
Rudy Vey with Shavemac Finest
Old Spice Shave Cream
Dominica Grand Bay Rum Aftershave

Another excellent shave with the Nodachi this morning. I find the razor to be smooth and efficient. I will be using it daily over the next few days as well as a great deal next month.

jphelan81

Forum GOD!
Another shave with the Nodachi tonight, first time trying with Kai blade. In the past I've used Kai blade but not managed a good shave, however this has not been the case with the Nodachi, again this razor never ceases to amaze me. BBS shave, no irritation, I think this could be the best pairing I've had. Only slight thing is because the blade is thicker it took a bit longer to load the razor.

Shavemd

Forum GOD!
I got the Nodachi on the original Masamune handle and really enjoyed the shave, my son in law borrowed and loved it, so I may have to get a second one.HaHa!

TheChrisC

Forum GOD!
I've used the Nodachi a few more times since I last posted and, contrary to the opinion on here, I think I've gotta let this one go! It's just not working well for me.

Used it earlier on (Nodachi top cap and base plate, Masamune handle) with a Feather blade on its first use. Immediately felt some drag there. It just doesn't feel smooth to me at all. I finished the face and then popped the blade into my GC .84 just for fun, took that to my neck and I immediately got that real glide and smoothness. The hairs just melted off.

I'm not sure what the problem is. I can't rule out operator error, but I've tried a few different blades, pressure and angle changes and nothing seems to get me that beautifully smooth shave you good chaps are getting. Maybe it's just my weird face being weird, or maybe the matte finish is disagreeing with my coarse whiskers.

Sad as it's a beautiful razor that obviously works great for 99% of people who use it. I just seem to be falling into that minority who can't get along with it.

jphelan81

Forum GOD!
Has anyone got the dark version of the razor, I've got the Nodachi but want to get the Masamune. The black looks great but worried by quality issues. I love the Nodachi as it's flawless.