Review Masamune Nodachi razor

Masamune

I've used the Nodachi for 6 days straight, daily shaving including an ATG pass every single time and I have to say that I find this razor VERY smooth and efficient. It can easily be a daily driver for me.
Which blade did you use? Thanks for the shallow angle suggestion, I'm trying for the angle recommended by Tatara. It's the same for both the regular Masamune and the Nodachi (24 degrees).

Nodachi gap and angle.jpg

Masamune gap and angle.png

shaveSymptomatic

Which blade did you use? Thanks for the shallow angle suggestion, I'm trying for the angle recommended by Tatara. It's the same for both the regular Masamune and the Nodachi (24 degrees).

View attachment 59125

View attachment 59126
I use the Gillette 7 O'Clock super stainless (Russian greens). They work wonderfully in every razor I've ever used them in. As for the angle, I always use as shallow as an angle as possible. It makes intuitive sense to me. Think of the blade sliding across your skin with minimun friction as opposed to a steep angle which is synonymous to a garden rake scrapping the ground very hard. I hope that makes sense. I think that should help you. Like I said, after 6 days of daily shaving with ATG passes, there wasn't even a remote hint of irritation.

Just to add to the above, forget about measuring 24 degrees, it's impossible. Just put the top cap perpendicularly against your face, (with the handle away from your skin) and start tilting down while shaving (or up if going ATG) until it starts to cut hair. Keep going until it starts scrapping your skin. Somewhere in between is the sweet sopt.

Last edited:

Masamune

Haven't tried those blades in either Tatara razor but will have a go with them. Will try for a shallower angle next time. I normally use the original Masamune and with the negative exposure I guess the angle is less of an issue in terms of scraping...

Typically, I start with the razor handle pointing at the floor and slowly bring it away from the face. I'm not literally shooting for 24 degrees but it does seem that the razor was designed for a steeper angle by Tatara.