Review Masamune Nodachi razor

Masamune

Well, the dark finish on the first batch of the regular Masamune wasn't perfect by any means. I actually exchanged mine for the standard matte. It wasn't a uniform coating and was pretty easy to remove unfortunately. Of course, they may have improved it since then.

Reactions: p.b

TheChrisC

Über Member
Just purchased one of these after watching Cris at Another Cut Above using his. Not sure why as I have a Karve stainless but as I only shave WTG I'm warming to the idea of a super efficient yet smooth razor.

Asked for the Masamune handle to be swapped in and they gladly obliged.

Last edited:

neko

Drinking a nice cup of tea
Tatara should create a blog, I accidentally bumped into this on their FB page.

Good info on blade gaps and exposure.

clint64

Forum GOD!
I had the maiden voyage with the Nodachi this morning. I found the razor to be efficient and surprisingly smooth. To me the Nodachi was much smoother than the Masamune OC razor. I will continue to use the Nodachi and update my opinions but thus far I am pleased with the razor.

TheChrisC

Über Member
Have any of you been disappointed with your Nodachi? I've had three shaves with mine now and I just can't get that smoothness everyone is talking about. I won't entirely blame the razor as it could be the lather, technique or even blade, but I've now used a Nacet (my current fave), Polsilver and a Vokshod and every shave has felt... Less than smooth. Not bitey or too aggressive, just nothing special at all and maybe even a little draggy.

For comparison, I used my ATT S1 before the Nodachi arrived - which is much milder - and got effortlessly smooth shaves with a Nacet. Comfortable, efficient enough (I only do WTG passes and a little bit of XTG around the mouth) and non-irritating. The Nodachi has given me irritation each time so far. I'm very prone to burn and ingrowns, so I was hoping a more efficient razor would mean less passes.

I suppose the ultimate question is... Is it me? Is it the razor? Are we just not compatible?

Edit: just to add to this, I'm using the Nodachi with a Masamune handle.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
The S1 is like a kitten next to the Nodachi- tiger IMO. Two very different beasts. The Nodachi requires higher amounts of concentration. To put it into perspective I can't throw the H1 around my face but could easily the S1. The H1 takes a very light touch and slow steady wrist action. The Nodachi IMO sits between the S1 and H1. So as me ruined before a little more concentration and effort but nothing dramatic.

Of course it just may not be the razor that best suits you. It sounds like you have better shaves with a milder setup so the Masamune may be better.

TheChrisC

Über Member
The S1 is like a kitten next to the Nodachi- tiger IMO. Two very different beasts. The Nodachi requires higher amounts of concentration. To put it into perspective I can't throw the H1 around my face but could easily the S1. The H1 takes a very light touch and slow steady wrist action. The Nodachi IMO sits between the S1 and H1. So as me ruined before a little more concentration and effort but nothing dramatic.

Of course it just may not be the razor that best suits you. It sounds like you have better shaves with a milder setup so the Masamune may be better.
Oh yeah, and I expected a substantial difference. I guess I'm just not feeling that smoothness everyone else is. It's not gliding well. Maybe I'll try again next time with a much wetter lather and see if that's an issue.

You might be right about the Masamune being better and I do have the handle so would only need to get the base plate. I'll keep trying. I've just not had a great shave with it yet.