Martin de Candre Rose & Vetyver

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
That seems about right to me as well. So despite the cost initially, if you get a year's shaves from one tub, it's pretty good value.
Not to mention the quality of the lather and post shave properties.

p.b

Forum GOD!
Today I received my samples of Rose and Vetyver from Shavedash. Both smell very nice but it'll be a week or so before I get around to using either one.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Today I received my samples of Rose and Vetyver from Shavedash. Both smell very nice but it'll be a week or so before I get around to using either one.
I suggest storing them separately Paul. I remember most my samples being attacked by the Kramperts bay rum (bloody strong) sample on opening. Also very hot water brings out the scent tenfold.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Well it's been 2 weeks now since I received my MdC vetiver. During this period I have had one shave with one other soap (Jabonman Tobacco) otherwise it's exclusively been MdC. I feel I can now make a valid judgement on the product and a decision on my software. So the verdict is; winner. So I'm hoping to sell off all my soaps in 2017 except P&B, MdC, (will be purchasing the others shortly) Grandstaff and Jabonman. Whilst I believe others are very very good (likes of Haslinger, Tabac, SV and Fitjar) these soaps fulfill my requirements best.

When using MdC I like to use a dense badger, load for 15 seconds, dip the brush tips in water, shake off and re-load for another 20 seconds. The puck is not bloomed. This I find produces a mass of excellent lather. If I am using a razor with a small blade gap or without decent lug holes for lather to flow through, I use a thinner lather, which is achieved with a shorter load. Adding more water just creates a more slick lather, within reason.

This soap (fragrance mainly as performance is well documented) has been one of the best finds for myself in 2016. I did try samples of fougere and the original and wasn't overly impressed. It took long to load the sample (Shavedash) when pressed into my scuttle and was quite drying as @pjgh found. Strange that it is different from the tub (same base so no difference apart from EO, with regards to Vetiver). I may have not dialed the water:soap properly, with the sample so will go back to these (I still have them). Definitely recommend trying this soap :)

lastcoyote

Forum GOD!
That's a good point actually regarding MdC samples. You really do need to load your damp brush with MdC with a good size surface covering to get that clumped together tips effect. If you just stick a small dollop of it in the bottom of a bowl it won't do it justice.

This is probably why a dense badger is best too. My Chubby 2 loads great with it.

Last edited:

qVAMPIREp

Forum GOD!
When I first purchased MDC I definitely underloaded my brush and I wasn't overly impressed. MDC lathers so easily I ended up making light fluffy lather that looked good but wasn't very slick or protective. I now load my brush for about 60 seconds and MDC is spectacular! I think most people that don't get the performance are loading way too little product.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Looking forward to getting my mitts on some, will be diving straight in with some vetyver I think... A combination of falling in love with L'Occitanes Vetyver Edt and Nishy waxing lyrical about MDC's vetiver soap left me no choice.

Has anyone tried MDC's Vetyver Edt perchance? http://savonnerie-martin-de-candre....u-de-candre-vetyver-vaporisateur-100-ml-.html Looks tempting, pricewise its about the same as L'Occitane.
I would be interested to hear any impressions of the EDT too.