Martin de Candre Rose & Vetyver

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Well I used the original MdC last night, first time from the tub. I read elsewhere that the newer scents load better, I personally didn't find any discernable difference. Same brush, setup etc. The newer scents are a little softer, but again not by much, so perhaps it's a matter of loading the brush quicker. My guess is that the original and fougere have probably been sitting and curing in the tubs longer than the newer options.

halvor

a most elusive fish
Wrote this yesterday after having sniffed my jar of vetyver right after receiving it. Didn't click 'post' for some reason. So here goes:

I find it VERY similar to fougere. Moreover, reading the ingredients list, I note the conspicuous absence of anything vetiver related (of natural or synthetic origin). Perfume elements are linalool, citronellol, geraniol (which explains your rose note, @Nishy) and limonene. I'm very pleased with the fougere I already have, and performance will surely be up to MdC standard with the vetyver too, I'm sure, but I am truly curious to see if this morphs into more of a vetiver scent when lathered up.

Today, post test-lather yesterday and shave this morning, I noted more vetiver like notes. Quite pleasant and I think this indeed would be something even more people would like vs. the fougere.

Last edited:

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Wrote this yesterday after having sniffed my jar of vetyver right after receiving it. Didn't click 'post' for some reason. So here goes:

I find it VERY similar to fougere. Moreover, reading the ingredients list, I note the conspicuous absence of anything vetiver related (of natural or synthetic origin). Perfume elements are linalool, citronellol, geraniol (which explains your rose note, @Nishy) and limonene. I'm very pleased with the fougere I already have, and performance will surely be up to MdC standard with the vetyver too, I'm sure, but I am truly curious to see if this morphs into more of a vetiver scent when lathered up.

Today, post test-lather yesterday and shave this morning, I noted more vetiver like notes. Quite pleasant and I think this indeed would be something even more people would like vs. the fougere.
Hi Halvor, the vetiver comes out a lot more following subsequent uses. To my nose the fougere is very different it is much more herbaceous and sharp, the vetiver is warm and smooth, no spiciness but a natural earthy fragrance. Keep using the vetiver, it does change and express different notes with use great stuff.

Holyzeus

Forum GOD!
Hi Halvor, the vetiver comes out a lot more following subsequent uses. To my nose the fougere is very different it is much more herbaceous and sharp, the vetiver is warm and smooth, no spiciness but a natural earthy fragrance. Keep using the vetiver, it does change and express different notes with use great stuff.
I've not noticed this yet but I've only used it four times and I'm hopeless with scents

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I've not noticed this yet but I've only used it four times and I'm hopeless with scents
To my nose the rose and sweetness has mellowed and now I get more clean green vetiver. This is after a good 30 uses. The post shave and ease of building the lather is top draw.

lastcoyote

Forum GOD!
Agreed @Nishy. I find a side by side sniff of the Fougere and a Vetyver to be very different scents and very much the way you explain above. I've managed to get a good quarter full jar or the Vetyver now by the way. Nice to have the proper jar too with the ltd. edition labelling etc. :)

How you liking the Fougere by the way? Gorgeous too huh!

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Going to be using the fougere for the first time (from the tub) tonight. I find the scent quite nice, I have come to the conclusion apart from pine you really can't predict the depth. Jabonman and MdC are polar opposites.

Definitely worth purchasing both though :)

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
I used the fougere for the first time (from a tub) yesterday. I can detect similarities between the fougere and the vetiver. They both have a similar underlying base tone. However, the vetiver note being green and grassy with a spiced yet smooth tone, not to dissimilar to Guerlain vetiver, however it has dark tones too without being gritty. This is really what separates the two.

If you were to put all three (original, fougere and vetiver) unlablelled in front of me, I would have said that you were looking at versions 1, 2 and 3 of the same scent. Slight differences between the three as opposed to a whole new bouquet.

Last edited:

lastcoyote

Forum GOD!
Would love to hear your description of the Martin de Candre - Fougere!
Oh really? Well I've not thought about the scent in 'wine note' style terms really. All I know is I love it and find it a very moreish scent. There's certainly many layers to it as you'd expect from the use of 12 essential oils, that certainly makes for a very fine whole.

Last edited: