Magnetic bracelets

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness & Training' started by Rowlers, May 16, 2019.

1. Rowlers

Rowlers Massive Member Staff Member

Just wondering if any of you Gents use magnetic bracelets? My wife is suffering with a torn meniscus and even though is taking Naproxen and Co-codamol (as needed) is still in some discomfort. I was wondering if one of these bracelets would help.
    It seems some folk swear by them, but others think it's placebo.

Northam Saint likes this.
  2. Northam Saint

Northam Saint Forum GOD!

I’ll be interested in people take on this for Osteoarthritis.

3. Nishy

Nishy Forum GOD! Staff Member

Placebo IMO mainly associated with arthritis.

Rufusdog likes this.
  4. Rowlers

See, that is what the general concenus seems to be, esp. with regards to arthritis, but loads out there seem to suggest they work...

5. Nisse

Nisse Veteran

Placebo can be very effective if you are a believer.

R181, bambrit, Blademonkey and 2 others like this.
  6. Sid James

Sid James ...

If it’s a placebo or not but has the same effect and works, does it matter?

R181, Blademonkey, Rowlers and 4 others like this.
  7. ScOtt

ScOtt Forum GOD!

I wear one, suffering from tendon injury (tennis elbow) not really sure It does anything in all honesty, it's getting better but I am also going through physio and taking naproxen/paracetamol/cdb

Rowlers likes this.
  8. Holyzeus

Holyzeus TSR reject

Had one years ago, copper ones too
    Felt the copper ones actually did something (Arthritis wise) but not the magnetic one

R181 and Rowlers like this.
  9. bambrit

bambrit Forum GOD!

If they were effective, I would expect the health science community to have extensive peer reviewed research data to support the claims. Due to the placebo effect, I have no doubt some people will swear they work, but I personally have my strong doubts and think its all BS.

FSword and Rowlers like this.
  10. R181

R181 Grumpy old man

I was having pain in my forearm years ago, no not from exercising wee willy, from too much work on the PC and operating forklift controls. Picked up a home made copper bracelet on holidays. It did seem to work the pain went away. I have no clue, what's new, the how or why of it.

Bob

11. Nisse

Nisse Veteran

Causality? Pain went away when you were using a bracelet but we cannot be sure it went away because you were using this bracelet.

12. R181

R181 Grumpy old man

Like I said, I don't know how or why and that would cover causality being unknown. OTH for the price of some copper giving it a try has no down side. I would not pay what they are asking today for some of these new age magnetic bracelets.

Bob

bambrit and Rowlers like this.
  13. Rowlers

To be honest, I think I'm just going to order one to give it a go. Like you say the worst that can happen is that it doesn't work and I'm £20 down...

bambrit, Batch300 and R181 like this.
  14. bambrit

bambrit Forum GOD!

One of my immediate family is a Registered Pharmacist and they deal with this throughout their day. Especially natural herb remedies and taking vitamin cures. Three things they say stand out for me.

(1) Big Pharma doesn't have all the answers, nor a vested interest in cheap simple remedies. No snake oil salesman will ever make billions $$$ hawking $20 copper bracelets to alleviate joint pain, but big pharma often do make billions by hawking the latest Arthritis medication.
    (2) The placebo effect is real and often works for small discomforts (headaches, minor pain etc). but will NEVER be a authentic cure for Cancer. As long as you clearly know that, no harm, no foul, unless that snake oil is $200,000 or that you actually do believe that it will cure terminal illnesses.
    (3) Doctors rarely prescribe sugar pills, but they do often prescribe medications in such low doses, every qualified medical professional involved knows its going to have no proven effect or side effect on what the patient feels and is simply prescribed for their mental health, more than their physical health.

Rowlers likes this.
  15. sɐǝɹpu∀

sɐǝɹpu∀ riverrun

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/copper-and-magnetic-bracelets-for-arthritis/
    https://skepticalinquirer.org/2011/01/magnetic_healing_an_old_scam_that_never_dies/?/si/show/magnetic_healing_an_old_scam_that_never_dies
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3774818/
    https://www.webmd.com/rheumatoid-arthritis/news/20130918/copper-bracelets-rheumatoid-arthritis
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet_therapy

A quick google seems to indicate that you can save £20 and buy a nice vintage razor instead of giving the money to scammers.

bambrit, FSword and Rowlers like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice