Maggards - DIY Brush : Choose Knot & Handle

• Thread starter Deleted member 1881
  • Start date

MrK1

Forum GOD!
It's not difficult at all, even I have done it.

I suggest you test your loft with something like blue-tac.
When you are happy with the loft, remove the blue-tac, and fill the whole with silicone and set the knot straight into it. Be careful not to get any silicone on the hair.

The best thing about using silicone is that it will hold the knot, and it's easy to just RIP the knot out if you want to change it.

R181

Grumpy old man
Yes, it is easy to do. I just installed a 28mm Maggards SHD fan 2 band knot in a handle I already had. From previous reknotting experience I would say it is easy to use too much adhesive and have it ooze up the sides and on to the exterior of the handle and exposed parts of the knot. You need surprisingly little adhesive to hold the knot in place. Definitely a less is more scenario and about the only caveat to DIY reknotting for me.

Bob

Wayne

Forum Sod
D

Deleted member 1881

I worry about the quantity of the glue I will add...

R181

Grumpy old man
I worry about the quantity of the glue I will add...
Think about how much adhesive you need at the bottom of the hole in the handle so that when you set the knot in it covers the bottom and squishes up the sides of the hole 5-6mm. It's not much really as you should have only about 1-1.5mm clearance around the hole between the handle and knot.

Bob

Wayne

Forum Sod
If you find the hole is too deep for instance then use a couple of coins in the hole until you get to the height you want. Do not get caught up on setting your knot to the exact MM. Only someone completely anal will tell the difference between a loft of say 54mm and 55mm it will not make the slightest difference.

TobyC

Patriot
I use just enough glue to hold the base of the knot, not looking for any squish effect.
Yes! I just butter the bottom of the glue base of the knot, I don't want any glue getting into the hair. I have used two part epoxy (which is really overkill) and lately started using E 6000, let it sit overnight and done.