Lost

pearse85

Forum GOD!
Lost among the ocean of products, trying to have a better skincare regime.
What is the difference between:

Serums
Balms
Moisturisers
Creams
Toners

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
To my knowledge toners close or shrink pores, the others generally hydrate the skin depending on specific composition of ingredients. Depending on your skin type some may or may not suit.

pearse85

Forum GOD!
To my knowledge toners close or shrink pores, the others generally hydrate the skin depending on specific composition of ingredients. Depending on your skin type some may or may not suit.
I bought barts balm and also the zingari unscented, will these act like a moisturiser even on days when im not shaving?

Pattorashu

Senior Moment
Balms IMO are more liquid than creams, which are both moisturizers. Serum makes me think concentrated, but not thick.

Balms are a bit pricey for me to use as a daily moisturizer, so I use a daily moisturizer as an aftershave most times, lol. I really use a balm when I'm going out or want a different scent if that makes sense. My (semi) daily is Bath and Body Works men's collection moisturizing cream, and most times I use this as aftershave care as well, after a rinse with cold water, pat dry, and a splash of witch hazel if I feel my shave was rough.

A toner is really the odd one out of your list, as it's not really a moisturizer but a skin "tightener." As Nishy said, it closes or shrinks the pores, giving a tight, fresh feel to the skin. Witch hazel is a common one. I don't recommend Thayer's as it's a very low percentage of witch hazel. First ingredient is water. Second is glycerin.

Koiguchi

We like Thayers Witch Hazel with aloe for aftershave.
It takes the heat right out of Feather blades.

pearse85

Forum GOD!
Balms IMO are more liquid than creams, which are both moisturizers. Serum makes me think concentrated, but not thick.

Balms are a bit pricey for me to use as a daily moisturizer, so I use a daily moisturizer as an aftershave most times, lol. I really use a balm when I'm going out or want a different scent if that makes sense. My (semi) daily is Bath and Body Works men's collection moisturizing cream, and most times I use this as aftershave care as well, after a rinse with cold water, pat dry, and a splash of witch hazel if I feel my shave was rough.

A toner is really the odd one out of your list, as it's not really a moisturizer but a skin "tightener." As Nishy said, it closes or shrinks the pores, giving a tight, fresh feel to the skin. Witch hazel is a common one. I don't recommend Thayer's as it's a very low percentage of witch hazel. First ingredient is water. Second is glycerin.
Ive a few balms there, barts unscented and also zingari unscented.
Will just use them daily as a moisturiser as im sporting a bit of a beard at present😂.