Looking for some advice with regards to a car

les24preludes

Forum GOD!
I have a Saab 9-3 1999 which has been virtually faultless, though needs replacing this year probably. I like the look of a Lexus IS200 but more likely to go with a Skoda. Octavia is a pretty safe choice. Has anyone owned a Rapid for comparison?

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Not forgetting that the Skoda engines are the same ones used through out the VAG group. Someone on a Skoda forum prised off the Skoda badge on the engine cover to reveal a VW badge under it.

jonmaddock

Forum GOD!
Yes been into VAG cars all my life and think the BMW comments has made me scratch them off

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Francorelli

Forum fella
The Skoda Octavia is a sound choice. I was considering one when looking for a similar estate a couple of years ago.

However, I specifically wanted an auto gearbox and was advised that VAG auto boxes can be troublesome compared to other makes. I ended up choosing a Honda Accord Tourer, which has been a joy to drive.

AkisT

My wife convinced me to get an Audi A4 (the avant B8 series) - big mistake .Costly problems with the differential and auto transmission -thankfully it was new and all expenses got covered by guarantee. Sold it immediately after that and bought the Alfa Romeo Giulietta (1.4 petrol engine 170hp and Brembo package) - that is a wonderful vehicle.

Next year i'm thinking for myself another Alfa Romeo (Giulia Veloce 2.0 petrol engine).
Done couple of test drives and got completely mesmerised- that is a truly brilliant car.

Nishy

Forum GOD!
Staff member
Yes been into VAG cars all my life and think the BMW comments has made me scratch them off

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Test drive one first, would be my advice the drive quality, responsiveness and direct steering is what I love from my BMW. Loads of stuff inside (2nd hand so didn't have to pay extra) and a very comfortable ride. I found Lexus to be the most comfortable but a bit boring (coupe). Re-sale value is also very good. Lastly I drive mine in snow, ice, sun and sand. Never an issue, switch the trip into manual for days when the snow is very heavy, but even then the auto is fine. Loads of features to help including traction.

Forgot to mention any repairs I have had done by BMW, which were then issued as recalls were fully credited by BMW. In fact their customer service is very good.

Eeyore

Forum GOD!
Test drive one first, would be my advice the drive quality, responsiveness and direct steering is what I love from my BMW.
Agree. I have a Skoda Octavia (previous car was a Skoda Fabia) and, while it is roomy and relatively affordable, the driving characteristics are not comparable to a BMW. However, the hole in my budget also is not BMW-like.

Rufusdog

Forum GOD!
Toyota Prius or another hybrid. I’ve had Toyotas and Lexus for the last 27 years and they been bullet proof in terms of long term reliability, a key criterion for me. I had a 1992 Toyota Camry for 13 years with no issues. I currently drive a 2003 Lexus IS300 (I believe it’s an IS200 in the UK) and plan on keeping it until 2023. My wife had a 2000 Lexus RX300, which was driven for 18 years with no problems. We’ve a 2013 Audi Q5 Turbo, bought new, and we’ve had 7 recalls on it so far. We would have bought another RX instead of the AudiI, but it was too big; 2 years later Lexus brought out the NSX, which is the ideal size, but we would have taken a shellacking if we’ d have sold the Audi..I also have a 2005 BMW Z4, which we store in the winter. It’s a joy to drive, but maintenance costs can be astronomical. In a Canada cars take a hammering because of winter and all the salt and brine that’s chucked on the roads. Our Toyota’s/Lexus, however, have stood up admirably with no body rust or integrity issues.

les24preludes

Forum GOD!
I'm on the verge of a car purchase. Looking at Low Emission Zones (LEZs) in European cities these days, it has to be Euro 4 which is 2005 and after for petrol engines. Diesels look like they're stricter and it will be later years. So that does away with a cheap Lexus IS200. Plus I want to keep the road tax down to around £150 or lower, so that points to a 1.2, 1.4 or efficient 1.6 engine.

I tried a Ford Focus which was a bargain sold privately and a good car, but I found the ride too firm, the clutch heavy, no dead pedal and the driver's seat hard. Not a great deal of drivers pleasure there unless you're a boy racer. I haven't tried an Astra, and it might be a possible. But this is all pointing to Skoda - Fabia or Octavia. The equivalent VWs are a few thousands more for no specially good reason I can see.