Leather belts

Paul G

Forum GOD!
Hi all, I am looking for recommendations for leather belts. I am looking for 1'1/4 to 1'1/2 inch work trouser belts in brown and black, preferably handmade, if anyone makes or knows of anyone that make them. Fed up buying leather that doesn't last from tkmax.
Thanks in advance.

SweeneyTodd

Forum GOD!
I have belts from arnoldleathergoods.co.uk. Not cheap, but the oldest is about 15 years old and still going strong.

I recently made myself an 1 1/2" belt of top quality leather, copper and brass fittings, all sourced off the web, and it cost about £15 and an hour of my time.

Last edited:

stormcrowuk

Forum GOD!
The best leather you can get for belts is Bridle leather, this is a leather designed as the name suggests for horse bridles and is therefore impregnated with greases and wax to resist moisture. This leather is not cheap though and the cheapest handmade bridle belts I can find on Etsy are around £40 plus postage. Another luxury leather is J & FJ Baker Oak Bark English Bridle leather which uses a tanning process that takes 14 months. I've just bought myself a blank strap of this leather and that was £35 just for the strap!!

SweeneyTodd

Forum GOD!
Bridle leather is definitely the one to go for. It strikes me that a definite element of the price of a good belt is the attachment of the buckle. A lot nowadays use rivets or Chicago screws (solid brass being best), but others use the more traditional stitching method. That in turn varies the cost, depending on the number of rows, stitches per inch and so on. Things like the handmade Hawkmoth Leather Co. belts from Sussex are things of beauty, but the price.......!

I suppose that, in theory, metal fastenings should be more durable than stitching, but I have a stitched belt I bought in 1969 from a Norwich saddler for £1.11s.6d, which has never needed resewing.

Paul G

Forum GOD!
Thanks for the input gents, I have decided to get a couple of belts made by @stormcrowuk. Will post pics when done but Dale is on holiday and I am not in a rush so once done they will be posted here. Seem a sample from Dale and it looks great.

JamieM

Extreme sharpness is ephemeral!
This guys an eBay seller, he's a saddler all handmade his belts are top-notch, English bridle leather, I own this one.

c.jpg
s-l1600.jpg