Latest restored Razor w/ a Story

Gasman

Forum GOD!
I went to go get a hair cut and my barber was closed. Sick or something. So I found another place. A lot of young guys. Well, under 50 is young to me. I sat down and he started cutting. We got to talking and I explained I collect straight razors and he said he had a box of gunk razors and showed me. Yep, mainly junk. Broken and rusty. I told him a couple was worth restoring if he felt like getting into it. He said he thought about gluing them to a board and hanging them in the barber shop. I got my hair finished and left.

I went home and started digging around and came up with a razor I fixed up. I paid next to nothing for it and it looked good but no big name brand. I took it to him the next day and told him I'd take that box of junk off his hands and trade him. He was all for it. He got something he could use himself and I got parts.

Here is one of them. You can see the rust, water stains, and chips in the edge. No scales with it but its a Goldbug and stamped Denver, CO.

20190303_174950.jpg
20190303_175029.jpg

So I got to working on it. Made a set of scales out of Olivewood, sanded and polish. Fixed the chips, worked over the heal and put it on the stones. Here it is ready for a shave...

20190319_184847.jpg
20190319_184906.jpg
20190319_185002.jpg
CA finish on the scales and I got one shave from it so far. So the moral of the story is to go to a different Barber now and then. You never know what you might walk away with. I got 5 sets of scales and 3 blades that are worth fixing.

Gasman

Forum GOD!
That would take all the fun out of it. You learn to get along with a point or it bites. Its all part of using a straight razor!