La Toja shave stick

R181

Grumpy old man
I have had this La Toja shave stick for a few years and have neglected using it for some reason. I decided to use for this weeks shaves and the initial impression is very good. Since I did a search and did not find any posts on the LaToja shave stick so I decided to make a few comments on it.

It lathers very easily producing a rich creamy slick lather. The scent is a pleasant mild one. It allowed me lovely smooth 4 pass shaves with a straight razor so I'd say it was worth a go if you were so inclined.

Has anyone else used this shave stick?

Bob

La-Toja-shave-stick.jpg

Very good performer, Bob..sadly it irritates my skin so I don't use it anymore.
Definitely a good product though with a nice, mild scent.

Francorelli

Forum fella
I discovered La Toja back in 2011. An outstanding performer and a pleasant, subtle scent.

It's the only soap that has remained a constant in my rotation since then. Great stuff.

Nisse

Old geezer
I read good things about it a couple of years ago so decided to test, but - meh! not impressed - maybe I was expecting too much, still got the stick so might do a retest.

Nisse

Old geezer
La Toja retested:

lather - thick and slick, maybe not as robust as tallow based Lea so need to take more care when adding water,

scent - first whiff when lathering was ashtray or was it patchouli, then it turned into a soapy sent but dark not crisp and clean,

all in all - lather was better than I recall, scent not as unobtrusive, a typcial old geezer soap :)

Last edited:

JayGee

Forum GOD!
A favourite of mine too. I travel 4 days a week & its been my travel choice for the last year or so, outstanding soap.

A couple of foibles;
it needs a lot of water & gave me a little irritation initially too, think my lather was just too dry.

Using less soap & a lot more water, lovely slick lather, no hint of irritation.

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
I walked from Glasgow to Fort William to Cape Wrath to Inverness one long summer with a La Toja stick in my rucksack - used for shaving and bathing! I loved it. It was the second from right in @Quique’s photo.

My second stick - the rightmost and newest version - caused irritation.

Go figure.

D

Deleted member 1881

The bite/stinging from the La Toja stick was unpleasant for me too, BUT performance wise I will say only one thing; when I was rubbing it on my face and keep adding water to fully cover the whiskers, I coulsnt hold it and eventually it fell under the sink.

Amazing slickness detected. 😂

As for the sting, I don't worry because I have the cream. Damn wonderful stuff.

R181

Grumpy old man
I walked from Glasgow to Fort William to Cape Wrath to Inverness one long summer with a La Toja stick in my rucksack - used for shaving and bathing! I loved it. It was the second from right in @Quique’s photo.

My second stick - the rightmost and newest version - caused irritation.

Go figure.
Hey, I was born in Fort William...…… Ontario that is. :happy:

Bob

Boru62

Shaving Boar
I have a skin condition and La Toja is my favourite of my seven or eight sticks.
Unfortunately it was also one of a very few soaps that blew my theory about mammal fats being the best for our skin out of the water.

Last edited: