La Toja shave stick

R181

Grumpy old man
I have had this La Toja shave stick for a few years and have neglected using it for some reason. I decided to use for this weeks shaves and the initial impression is very good. Since I did a search and did not find any posts on the LaToja shave stick so I decided to make a few comments on it.

It lathers very easily producing a rich creamy slick lather. The scent is a pleasant mild one. It allowed me lovely smooth 4 pass shaves with a straight razor so I'd say it was worth a go if you were so inclined.

Has anyone else used this shave stick?

Bob

La-Toja-shave-stick.jpg

Very good performer, Bob..sadly it irritates my skin so I don't use it anymore.
Definitely a good product though with a nice, mild scent.

I have had a very few soaps irritate my skin and it has always been the ones with scents that are strong. It is disappointing when that happens to an otherwise good performing product.

Bob
I think it may be the mineral salts rather than the scent for me but I'm not 100% sure..still a shame as it's a nice performing soap.

Francorelli

Forum fella
I discovered La Toja back in 2011. An outstanding performer and a pleasant, subtle scent.

It's the only soap that has remained a constant in my rotation since then. Great stuff.

Nisse

Old geezer
I read good things about it a couple of years ago so decided to test, but - meh! not impressed - maybe I was expecting too much, still got the stick so might do a retest.

Nisse

Old geezer
La Toja retested:

lather - thick and slick, maybe not as robust as tallow based Lea so need to take more care when adding water,

scent - first whiff when lathering was ashtray or was it patchouli, then it turned into a soapy sent but dark not crisp and clean,

all in all - lather was better than I recall, scent not as unobtrusive, a typcial old geezer soap :)

Last edited:

JayGee

Forum GOD!
A favourite of mine too. I travel 4 days a week & its been my travel choice for the last year or so, outstanding soap.

A couple of foibles;
it needs a lot of water & gave me a little irritation initially too, think my lather was just too dry.

Using less soap & a lot more water, lovely slick lather, no hint of irritation.

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
I walked from Glasgow to Fort William to Cape Wrath to Inverness one long summer with a La Toja stick in my rucksack - used for shaving and bathing! I loved it. It was the second from right in @Quique’s photo.

My second stick - the rightmost and newest version - caused irritation.

Go figure.

RandySp

Forum GOD!
The bite/stinging from the La Toja stick was unpleasant for me too, BUT performance wise I will say only one thing; when I was rubbing it on my face and keep adding water to fully cover the whiskers, I coulsnt hold it and eventually it fell under the sink.

Amazing slickness detected. 😂

As for the sting, I don't worry because I have the cream. Damn wonderful stuff.

R181

Grumpy old man
I walked from Glasgow to Fort William to Cape Wrath to Inverness one long summer with a La Toja stick in my rucksack - used for shaving and bathing! I loved it. It was the second from right in @Quique’s photo.

My second stick - the rightmost and newest version - caused irritation.

Go figure.
Hey, I was born in Fort William...…… Ontario that is. :happy:

Bob

Boru62

Shaving Boar
I have a skin condition and La Toja is my favourite of my seven or eight sticks.
Unfortunately it was also one of a very few soaps that blew my theory about mammal fats being the best for our skin out of the water.

Last edited: