La Toja Shave Cream Classic

Discussion in 'Shaving Creams' started by RandySp, Mar 20, 2019.

1. RandySp

RandySp ATG Official Member

Hello kings of shaves, a small review of this cream.

[​IMG]

Ingredients

Aqua, Potassium Stearate, Potassium Palmitate, Glycerin, Potassium Cocoate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Palmitate, Sodium Cocoate, Sodium Lactate, Palmitic Acid, Stearic Acid, Parfum, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Myristyl Sulfate, Mineral Salts, Sodium Cetyl Sulfate, Laureth-10, Sodium Stearyl Sulfate, Sodium Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Coumarin, Limonene, Linalool, Butylphenyl Methylpropional.

(Yes, I know, not the best ingredients list.)

Brush of choice Yaqi 30mm tuxedo: I started with a wetter brush the first time I used it and the result was a mess. A foamy cloud of a thing called lather, no good and even if I added some product it was still a mess. Hmm, this cream is very sensitive to water, at least for my tastes. In order to get a creamy lather the brush should be almost dry, squeezed very well and literally add two or three times water and spin. Then the cream explodes.

First pass with the Rockwell 6c on #6 was very comfortable. The blade was the Gillette Silver Blue, but keep this in mind when reading. The lather, when the ratio water-cream is good performs very well. It does not dissipate at all, allowing the razor to glide easily on the skin.

For the second pass the face should not be very wet, or else the lather even if it looks thick, it gets runny and thins immediately. When applied the cream for the XTG pass, it slightly tingled my face, like some kind of reaction or small burning, but only on the second & third pass. The lather again stayed on the face, was even slicker that the first pass, no problem with that.
    I didn't like a lot the residual slickness, you must not shave where there is no lather, because I felt the razor to catch me a lot. Especially on the chin/double chin. Minor nicks was the result.

On the last ATG pass when I applied the cream, was even thinner but slick, allowing to feel the blade a lot when shaving. Here comes the matter with the GSB. With these blades I rarely get razor burn or nicks. But I had this time. If I had a more aggressive blade in there, I would have sliced my face. The burning sensation kept for a while, so I assume that when you get irritation with the razor, the cream does not help calm the skin very well. Maybe the sensitive version will be better on this section but I haven't used it.

The result was good, I liked the smell, manly and quite strong when lathered up and stays for a while. Don't take too seriously the burning sensation, maybe it's my face, it is sensitive and prone to razor burn, this was the main reason I started wet shaving. Or maybe it was simply some ingredient that caused this. No redness, whatsoever, quite dry post shave feel and the nicks in the end were no visible. Don't forget the price of this cream.

I would recommend it but only to a more experienced shaver, because you must have really mastered the technique first, this cream does not forgive any mistakes with the razor, either the angle or pressure.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  2. Rocky75

Rocky75 Veteran Vendor

maybe 6 was too dangerous ...with this cream

3. Quique

Quique Forum GOD!

The burning sensation or the itching you notice is due to the mineral salts they carry, but they do not generate any reaction on the skin.

La Toja were great products in Spain until Henkel bought the company and took the production to Poland. Since then the only good thing they have is that they are very very cheap and are found in all stores.

Thanks for sharing

Rocky75, culcreuch and RandySp like this.
  4. RandySp

RandySp ATG Official Member

Really? And the package writes on it Barcelona.. Although it writes also Henkel as you said.

Quique likes this.
  5. Quique

Quique Forum GOD!

As far as I know, in 2007 Henkel closed the original production plant of La Toja that it had in Spain.

The production of all the shaving products was diversified to factories in Germany and Slovenia and the rest of the products went to an external Spanish supplier

The shaving stick was already in Poland and the star product that was the jar of shaving soap "Manantiales de la Toja" stopped being manufactured.

People who have been using these products in Spain for many years coincide in the continuous decline in quality of La Toja products

SeanC likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice