Knife shave

JayGee

Forum GOD!
Essentially a kamisori with a long blade, the most remarkable thing is he clearly got a shaveable edge on the pocket knife, pretty good going to maintain a consistent enough angle when honing without having the spine as a guide.

R181

Grumpy old man
I have also seen videos of people shaving with axes. I have no clue what, if anything, shaving with a knife or axe shows/proves except it can be done. Question is why would anyone want to when there are better suited tools for the job.

When you look at the angle of the blade he is using you would not want to try that with a straight razor.

Bob

Crispy

Loved the video , just yeaterday I was experimenting with a rostfrie solingen table/dinner knife I found over 40 years ago on a sandbar in bc canada , sharp as a razor . It sat in my tool box for decades . Yesterday I gave it a touch up and stropped it , I shaved a patch on my arm , but didnt try the face , going to work on the edge , it is actually sharper than anything in my house except my really old Boker / king cutter, I may try photographing the knife edge.

R181

Grumpy old man
Loved the video , just yeaterday I was experimenting with a rostfrie solingen table/dinner knife I found over 40 years ago on a sandbar in bc canada , sharp as a razor . It sat in my tool box for decades . Yesterday I gave it a touch up and stropped it , I shaved a patch on my arm , but didnt try the face , going to work on the edge , it is actually sharper than anything in my house except my really old Boker / king cutter, I may try photographing the knife edge.
Had a Fiskars belt knife that would shave arm hairs right out of the box but never tried shaving my face with it. Razors will shave arm hairs after a bevel set on a 1K Naniwa but I would not particularly like to shave my face with it at that stage. A 1K edge should be just fine for cutting dead pieces of meat as they don't tend to complain too much. Personally, I'd try and take that knife's edge up to 8K or 12K to get some smoothness before shaving my face with it if that is your intent. Interested to see how you make out.

Bob