Kindle

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
Is the paperwhite kindle do much better than the basic model to justify the extra expense with the light it has? I doubt think I'd be reading in the dark workout a light anyway.
Not really, my wife is still happily using my old Kindle keyboard. I like having the built-in light, it makes reading in bed easier as even with the bed-side lamp if I lie on my side it can end up in shadow. You can buy a clip-on booklight for a few pounds though. The paperwhite screen is higher-resolution but to be honest I don't notice much difference between the two. If you don't think you'd get much benefit from the light you'd not be missing out getting the cheaper one.

I do still like paper books, but the Kindle is much lighter and easier to read in bed, with the advantage that you can just put it down and not lose your place. It's also handy being able to take many books on holiday in a small package.

Be aware though that the cheapest price shown on Amazon is the discounted one which includes adverts, advert-free is an extra £10. The adverts don't show at all when you're reading, it's a small banner on the menu page and the "screensaver" when it goes to sleep. They're usually for books or Kindle accessories. That said, I didn't want them and paid the extra to remove them. You can do this at a later date if you buy the discounted Kindle.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
When I moved in with my ex before my first daughter was born I had to downsize drastically; cue the loss of half a VW Transporter's worth of books (literally over half way up the sides). So the ex bought me a Kindle Keyboard and I started rebuilding, fortunately I discovered Calibre and allowed myself to replace many of my books. I was sceptical at first "it's not the same as a real book" etc. I read an old favourite on it for my first ebook and lost myself in it completely.

I'm on to a Paperwhite now and my sister still uses the Keyboard, I mostly don't miss holding an actual book in my hands. The story/information is what interests me far more than the medium. The fact you can add dictionaries for other languages is just class, never mind having a whole bookcase worth of books in your pocket when you go on holiday.

Another advantage at my age is the ability to change the font size, make it bold, increase the lighting and so on. Less eye strain is good.

I did save all my old (vintage?) hardbacks of course so I can sniff them whilst I read the Kindle...
Same here on the holding a book attitude at the start. But it's so much easier, I use my iPad all the time, it goes to work too. Most of the time I get the bus to work so it's an ideal time to read. I think I've read more since I started reading this way.

Francorelli

Forum fella
Is the paperwhite kindle do much better than the basic model to justify the extra expense with the light it has? I doubt think I'd be reading in the dark workout a light anyway.
I changed from my old non-lit Kindle a few years back and found the Paperwhite a considerable improvement. I found the screen contrast on the older model insufficient unless near a strong reading lamp or in broad daylight. No such problem with the Paperwhite regardless of environment.

The Kindle is so convenient, I certainly read more since owning one.

Paperwhite is much better for me @DamianJ I really like the lighting and the higher resolution of the screen makes everything that much crisper and easier to read. I've been shortsighted all my life and middle age has added long sightedness to the mix I have to have a bright reading light for ordinary text. With the Paperwhite I can read in the dark no problem and no eye fatigue from a backlit screen.

Whether it's worth an extra £50 is really hard to say, it depends on your disposable income and how often you'll use it really. And your eyesight.

Same here on the holding a book attitude at the start. But it's so much easier, I use my iPad all the time, it goes to work too. Most of the time I get the bus to work so it's an ideal time to read. I think I've read more since I started reading this way.
I work on computers all day, and occasionally gaming on an evening so I very specifically use the Kindle for reading as it isn't backlit. Especially for reading before turning in it makes a big difference.

Calibre Is the Swiss Army knife of ebook management. Excellent backup and usual library facilities as well as file conversion and various plug ins for organising and cleaning up ebooks including all the headers and tags. You can use it to take ebooks from any source and use them on a Kindle or the reader of your choice. You'll find certain books turn up on Amazon but not Kobo or whatever or it's loads cheaper for one reader than another etc. Or it's free but not in a format compatible with the Kindle - Calibre to the rescue!

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
Highly recommend Readly

https://gb.readly.com/?gclid=CJa_3ZPEn9MCFYQy0wodRL4C2Q

All the top magazines on up to five different devices, allows you set up accounts for up to five others. Works on Kindle, Android and IOS. If anyone does sign up first month is free, I'm not that bothered but if you sign up an quote my email add I get a month free for recommending, PM me if you want but like I say I'm not that bothered. I've been using this for a few months as has SWMBO. I'm on something like five-six Camera mags a months as well as Gadget mags, far more than the £7.99 a month making it excellent value.

PM me for my email address if it raises your interest enough to try it out.

MrK1

Forum GOD!
I've had a backlit Kobo Aura for a couple of years.

It's probably not as good as the Kindle Paperwhite, but it does the job.

An advantage over the Kindle is that you can just drag and drop books onto it or a micro sd card from a pc without the need for proprietary software.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!

An advantage over the Kindle is that you can just drag and drop books onto it or a micro sd card from a pc without the need for proprietary software.
I like it when things are easy like that. I recently purchased a WIFI USB Stick. The space on my iPhone was running thin so I decided to buy this so I could carry around more music. All I need to do is click and drag to the stick. The stick in made by SanDisk and sets up a simple WiFi connection between it no the iPhone. Means I don't have to go through iTunes.

MrK1

Forum GOD!
I like it when things are easy like that. I recently purchased a WIFI USB Stick. The space on my iPhone was running thin so I decided to buy this so I could carry around more music. All I need to do is click and drag to the stick. The stick in made by SanDisk and sets up a simple WiFi connection between it no the iPhone. Means I don't have to go through iTunes.
Exactly why I prefer Android over IOS.

You can drag and drop onto the Kindle can't you? You used to be able to anyway. I just email them now so they stay in the cloud library then I can retrieve them from a browser if I'm away from home. What is this proprietary software of which you speak?

Update: Just checked 'drag and drop' works on PC or Mac still.

Last edited:

MrK1

Forum GOD!
You can drag and drop onto the Kindle can't you? You used to be able to anyway. I just email them now so they stay in the cloud library then I can retrieve them from a browser if I'm away from home. What is this proprietary software of which you speak?

Update: Just checked 'drag and drop' works on PC or Mac still.

With my Kobo, I can plug it into a PC, go into explorer and drag and drop epub's or mobi's onto the Kobo or onto a micro SD card.

I thought you had to go through the Amazon book store for the Kindle?

Transfer from a Computer to Your Kindle

You can email it to your special Kindle email address instead, which will also convert pdfs to azw if you put convert in the subject line. The Kindle will accept a number of file types:
  • Microsoft Word (.DOC, .DOCX)
  • HTML (.HTML, .HTM)
  • RTF (.RTF)
  • JPEG (.JPEG, .JPG)
  • Kindle Format (.MOBI, .AZW)
  • GIF (.GIF)
  • PNG (.PNG)
  • BMP (.BMP)
  • PDF (.PDF)
I use the email option for convenience and as I say to add the document to my Amazon device library. Calibre works with Kobo readers as well, handily you can bypass some DRM with it so legally purchased books can be enjoyed on whichever ereader you have