just got this yesterday at antique store

Xring3

Forum GOD!
BE80DC52-00C7-4D67-95E2-E1FE26BD09EA.jpeg
I saw a straight razor like the one pictured in an antique store. I was going to buy it till my wife threw a fit because of the emblem on the handle. Probably best that I didn’t buy it.

Dr Watson

James
There is a large number of counterfeit errr "memorabilia?" items coming out of Eastern Europe... They retrofit the symbols to razors, watch faces, knives etc etc and sell them as the genuine article.

Many inexperienced buyers get taken in by it. Of course there are some genuine one's out there but not quite as prolific as Google would have you believe, the devil is in the detail, they might look OK on a PC screen but in the flesh they don't pass muster. Some are comedy gold such as one I saw recently which was an unbranded stubtail wedge circa 1820's with SS runes melted into the scales, seems legit :laugh:

It's my experience the genuine article often came from top Solingen brands and the symbols are always etched into the blade... If it just has a pot metal symbol melted into the scales then you have found trash.

DmbzJspWwAEprcQ.jpg

Sorry for the thread drift, nice looking find OP, looks to be in good condition.

Last edited:

Boru62

Shaving Boar
If you google Nazi razor, you would be surprised how many German makers used that symbol on the razors during that time.
I'd be more surprised if a major manufacturer didn't, so much for Jews controlling the markets.
As Goebbels said:
"“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it."
...and I am sure it goes over big in Israel.
I'm sure Palestinians will find this statement sadly ironic.

JamieM

Extreme sharpness is ephemeral!
A name to look out for and a razor manufacturer would be Gottlieb Hammesfahr, they also produced the very stylish Original German WWII Model Early SS Daggers, so there is very much a direct link to this particular maker.

image.jpg

Xring3

Forum GOD!
The razor I was referring to was in an antique shop in Grandview, Missouri. It had to have been 35-40 years ago. Probably before the counterfeit stuff hit the market in bulk. The lady wanted $8.00 for it.

S

Steve Bowles

I know at least two countries that are touchy about those Nazi symbols. In Germany you could get jail time for displaying it and I am sure it goes over big in Israel.

Bob
I can think of a dozen or more countries that should be touchy about Roman symbols, but they aren't. History is history.

Xring3

Forum GOD!
Looking back on my post....30-40 years ago.......damn I’m getting old. Still I remember the shop and snooping around in there from time to time. Now...if I could only remember why I just walk into this room a moment ago?

R181

Grumpy old man
Looking back on my post....30-40 years ago.......damn I’m getting old. Still I remember the shop and snooping around in there from time to time. Now...if I could only remember why I just walk into this room a moment ago?
It may have happened 30-40 years ago but the revulsion to what it represents is still strong today.

Bob