Jerry Stark Razors

Discussion in 'Straight Razors (SR)' started by MattM97, Mar 13, 2018.

1. MattM97

MattM97 Veteran

I just got this razor in today from Jerry Stark and surprised there is no mention of him on this site. Shaved with it and it was a very comfortable razor, have to adjust for the heft as it's 80g+ and by far my heaviest straight.

I'm curious if anyone else has any razors from Jerry and your thoughts on them.

The razor is 7/8" made of 52100 carbon, half hollow grind. Scales are a tuxedo design, black G10 with white paper micarta on black g10 backing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2hot 2trot, Looney12345, Salv and 6 others like this.
  2. JamieM

JamieM Merthyr Tydfil, South Wales

Nice razor I've seen plenty Jerry Stark razors, It's a very heavy grind not very popular with the majority of straight razor users.

Salv, Billyfergie and Acer89 like this.
  3. MattM97

MattM97 Veteran

That never really came up when I asked people about the razors, I read good reviews and I got a really comfortable shave from it. Maybe it just works well for me and the other people I read reviews from.

I'm also at a point where I'm trying different razor makers, different grinds to see what works best for me. I have razors coming from different razor makers soon but still looking at others to try.

Billyfergie likes this.
  4. MattM97

MattM97 Veteran

Figured I'd give an update on how the razor is treating me and I'm treating it. Since getting it I've used it 3 times, I would have used it more but got a new DE and also was traveling so missed some shaves. I'm going to give it 2 more shaves probably to know where I really stand with this razor. The biggest thing for me is the weight of the razor where most of my other straights are light even if the same size.

I shaved off 3 days of growth today very easily and very comfortably today, I'm finding this razor to be very comfortable shave wise for me. Above @JamieM said the grind is much too heavy for some people but I find it working for me. It is a little cumbersome but the more I use it the more I'll get comfortable with and could become a top straight for me to this point in my collection of straights.

Looney12345, halvor and JamieM like this.
  5. R181

R181 Forum GOD!

I can see that being a heavy razor as it looks closer to a near wedge than a 1/4 hollow to me but that is splitting hairs. What matters is that it does the job for you regardless of grind. I shave with near wedges to bellied full hollows and they all work well but provide a different experience one to another. The grind boils down to personal preference. My understanding is that, relatively speaking, heavier grinds are easier to make the very hollow grinds. Have fun trying the different grinds.

Bob

MattM97 likes this.
  6. MattM97

MattM97 Veteran

I have a few different grinds from a W&B Wedge to the extra hollow Boker. They all work obviously but I'm going to have to find what I like best, now that my technique is much better I'll know what I really enjoy and what I don't enjoy. If they all work for me then awesome, if a few don't well then just sell/trade those for a grind that I like.

I have 3 blades from 2 different artisans coming. 1 is a 1/4 hollow and the other 2 are half or 1/4 so will see how those work for me.

R181 likes this.
  7. DukeCity

DukeCity Veteran

I have tried his razors they shave nice but the ergonomics of stropping were "meh". They just did not flow well on the strop to me and I found I had to continuously shift my grip, especially with his thumb notch designs

8. MattM97

MattM97 Veteran

This one isn't hard to strop, I just tighten the scales a bit more and everything stays in place. I have another razor from another artisan that takes forever to strop because of the scale shape and shank/tang shape. Kinda makes a half circle shape so I'm moving really slow with that one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice