Insurance

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Any one in a similar situation?

Daughter has just past her test this morning. She is going to Uni in 2 and a bit months. Doesn't own her own car and unlikely that she will until Uni is finished and she is working...

So where can I find suitable insurance without getting absolutely b*tt f*cked! For example 42 days insurance is £450!

It is on an Up! GTI, but even the 60bhp Move Up is the same price, so it's not really the car...

Any pointers folks?

Estariol

Forum GOD!
@Rowlers
I don't know about used cars prices where you live, but here it is: consider buying her a used car for those 450 pounds (or even less if possible). It'll be cheap to maintain on the road, good for her to learn the finesses of driving and good for you to not worry about possible scratches or dents. After she's finished using it, you can move it on for the same or not much lower price.

Smiffy

Forum GOD!
Not sure that there is an easy solution.

I am assuming that the £450 is the additional premium to add daughter to a parents policy as a Temporary Additional Driver.

If you are insured with one of the companies that does Multicar policies they may be more reasonable, Admiral is one but there are plenty of others and also ComparetheMarket claim to have a panel of insurers who will do short term young persons cover.

In fact, £10 a day insurance cover for a young driver is not actually so bad, it is less than my garage charges me per day for insurance on loan cars when my car is in for service and that is with a painful £1000 excess.

Burgundy

Forum GOD!
It’s either a case I’d get her going now or have the driving go fallow for a few years until she needs or wants a car.

What’s the cost of a year’s insurance? Don’t forget she’ll be back for nigh on a month over Christmas and back again at Easter. If she actually needs to get driving now and will be over the holidays then the annual premium might be worth swallowing. Although I’d lend her the money for a very unfashionable OAP-owned Japanese hatchback from the early-noughties (Corolla, Civic etc) in preference to your GTI…

I didn’t bother after passing until I was 21 because I lived and studied in towns that were so well-connected with public transport that the cost of owning and maintaining a car would have been silly.

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
Managed to find something via Admiral, for £240 a month, still crazy, but more manageable. It is a rolling contract so stop and start as required. Absolutely the right product for this situation but not many suppliers in the market, and it is very expensive obviously..