Increasing blade gap

carbold

Carlo
I have a Guerrilla that is too mild for me, and I'm trying to trade or sell it. It's a nice razor, ideally I would keep it so I was wondering if anybody has ever tried to shave some material off the solid bar to increase the blade gap. Ideally done with a milling machine, so you can accurately control the material removed (was thinking around 0.2mm)....

carbold

Carlo
No, I'm not the original buyer, I traded it some time ago...Also I wouldn't think he's got time to re-work a Guerrilla?

carbold

Carlo
let's say I want to do a nice job, no messing about with shims. I can use shims to understand what gap I'd be happy with, then mill that out properly

carbold

Carlo
Durable?? How do you wear out a stainless steel shim exactly? Nothing elegant about a butchered razor when a used blade...
Stainless DE blades do rust, they are all but durable. And why would it be butchered? Just shaving off 0.2mm? If it's done on a milling machine or CNC rather than sanding it, I don't see the problem...

jmudrick

Forum GOD!
Stainless DE blades do rust, they are all but durable. And why would it be butchered? Just shaving off 0.2mm? If it's done on a milling machine or CNC rather than sanding it, I don't see the problem...
Hope it works out well, I'll soldier on with my shims.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Rowlers

Massive Member
Staff member
TBH rather than [potentially] ruining a really nicely finished razor, I would move it on and get a Blackbird, Timeless or similar. Unless of course you're a machinist or something, then fire away!

carbold

Carlo
Yep, this is my last resort. I have a Timeless and I'm trying to trade it with a Blackbird or a Rocnel but no success so far.