Import fees question.

Grarea

Forum Plod
This is not a shaving thing, but I forget how the charges work.

I know Royal Mail charge a handling fee in some cases.

I am pondering a $90 (including postage) purchase.

Am I right in thinking that there is no duty, but there is VAT?
Which would be about £15 right?
Would there also be a Royal Mail handling fee?

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
What are they like for a £18.22 purchase from China these days? It’s a portable solar panel, should only attracted vat at 5%. So only 80p vat due. I know sometimes when the amount is low they allow things to skip by.

SeanC

Forum GOD!
What are they like for a £18.22 purchase from China these days? It’s a portable solar panel, should only attracted vat at 5%. So only 80p vat due. I know sometimes when the amount is low they allow things to skip by.
A lot of things that aren't marked up in English on the CN22 just slip through as long as they aren't too blatant. Packages not marked up using the Roman alphabet have an ever slimmer chance of being picked up e.g. Chinese / Arabic

Biggest risk is items delivered by either the major courier firms (UPS, DHL etc) or by someone using some post office software which actually encodes the customs data very conveniently in the form of a bar code i.e. a computer generated CN22 to be read on arrival automatically. I got stung for an £8 handling fee on a VAT charge for a paltry £2.32 because of this on a package from the US

D

Deleted member 30

$90 exchanged @ today's rate = £71.18
VAT @20% = £14.23
Royal Mail handling charge = £8.00
Total to pay = £22.23

Goods Value*
Customs Charges applicable
£0.01 to £15 - No customs duty - No Import VAT
£15.01 to £135 - No customs duty - Import VAT due
£135.01 and greater - Customs duty due - Import VAT due

*Commercial goods over £15 in value.
*Goods sent as a gift that are over £39 in value are liable to import VAT, Customs Duty also becomes payable if the value of the goods is over £135.

Northam Saint

Forum GOD!
A lot of things that aren't marked up in English on the CN22 just slip through as long as they aren't too blatant. Packages not marked up using the Roman alphabet have an ever slimmer chance of being picked up e.g. Chinese / Arabic

Biggest risk is items delivered by either the major courier firms (UPS, DHL etc) or by someone using some post office software which actually encodes the customs data very conveniently in the form of a bar code i.e. a computer generated CN22 to be read on arrival automatically. I got stung for an £8 handling fee on a VAT charge for a paltry £2.32 because of this on a package from the US
We will see. If it doesn’t duck under it doesn’t, what I’ve purchased was at a great price and will come in handy for work to demonstrate, for Scouting and at home.

Chris

Forum DOG!
Staff member
VAT @20% = £14.23
Total to pay = £22.23

Goods Value*

*Goods sent as a gift that are over £39 in value are liable to import VAT, Customs Duty also becomes payable if the value of the goods is over £135.
This should be stickied, it gets asked a lot.

Grarea

Forum Plod
VAT @20% = £14.23
Total to pay = £22.23

Goods Value*

Excellent thanks.

This should be stickied, it gets asked a lot.
Good idea.
I actually didn't think to search on here.
Worth linking to a decent easy to understand online calculator?

Grarea

Forum Plod
VAT @20% = £14.23
Total to pay = £22.23

Goods Value*

Fee came in.
Interesting how it is £19.69 eh?
Not complaining obviously, but you think it would be as you calculated wouldn't you?

D

Deleted member 30

Fee came in.
Interesting how it is £19.69 eh?
Not complaining obviously, but you think it would be as you calculated wouldn't you?
Maybe the exchange rate has moved in your favor?